cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid CGC like the plague

Been a collector for many years and finally took the plunge sending my Hulk #1 to CGC for grading. Spent almost $200 Performing a Huge Mistake. I have seen many comic graded by CGC over the years and mine should have graded at least a 3 but have seen 3.5-4.5 on a regular basis for the condition. Those clowns at CGC graded a 2.5. When contacted they would not even respond to my concerns. Awful customer service, quoting a 15 business day turn around (taking 23 business days) and Not responding to my concerns. Needless to say I am done with that "Business" and will Ballyhoo CGC nonsense till the day I die. Was leary when they started and now confirmation has been had. 1 last note, I dislike their changing the grading system that had been in place so long.

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: Avoid CGC like the plague

Also, I must mention that the lower grade was 8.0. I didn't like that grade, so I sent it back again for regrading. And this time came back to me with a 9.0. I left it at that, since it proved my point. It's a true story.

Message 61 of 105
latest reply

My views on CGC remain unchanged. 

I don't care about your views, I just want you to actually learn something about CGC before you shoot off you mouth about it. Next you'll say the inner well is made out of recycled Pepsi bottles.

CGC grades one book 9.8 and then another at 9.6. What's the difference? Futhermore, the company can not explain it. Why pay a premium for a book graded at 9.8? It's just pure nonsense. CGC should have no affect on price, they just give an opion of which they can not back up or guarantee.

I can't imagine anyone would ever ask you for your opinion on a grade, so you're much lower on the "who's grading would I trust" ladder than CGC.

And I'm going to ask you again - who guarantees any grade? You? You can guarantee that I will agree with your grading?What grade is an "actual grade"? Who can give an "actual grade"? If I send you a book, can you give me an "actual grade" for it? 

My major complaint with CGC is that their grading standards vary from one grader to another.

That's exactly why they'd have 3 graders grade a book independently from each other, and if there was a large discrepancy, the 3 get together to compare notes. The Head Grader then assigns a grade (they are not averaged).  So, if one grader says "7.5", the other says "7.0" and the third says "4.0", there'd definitely be a conference.  This is a built-in fail-safe. I assume you knew nothing of this? 

Once I purchased a Wolverine #1 in a CGC case graded at 9.8. When I looked more closely, I noticed some fingerprints on the cover were clearly visible; and from that day on I have been a non-believer of CGC slabs. The slab had no visible signs of being opened and the number checked out good. The book was no where near 9.8, as fingerprints were clearly visible (because of the black colloring made it easy to catch those fingerprints). Fingerprints visible on a 9.8 CGC graded book!

Suuuuuuure. Scans or it never happened.

Message 62 of 105
latest reply

@sun_blaze9857 wrote:

Also, I must mention that the lower grade was 8.0. I didn't like that grade, so I sent it back again for regrading. And this time came back to me with a 9.0. I left it at that, since it proved my point. It's a true story.

And you're so stupid, I bet you didn't even get the free 10% off! LMAO.

Message 63 of 105
latest reply

@sun_blaze9857 wrote:

Wait, I'm getting confused. You bought a 9.8, sent it in to be regraded, it came back as an 8.0, you sent it back again and it graded a 9.0? Is that correct?? If so, that certainly would prove a point, but not yours.

And since you still have the book, let's see a scan.

Message 64 of 105
latest reply

@sun_blaze9857 wrote:

Seems you are not really reading these threads? ? ? No where did I mention anything about stop buying comics on eBay or anything.

You need to re-read what BPM said. He suggested that your standards are so high you couldn't possibly be buying comics from dirtbag Ebay. He never said you said that.

Message 65 of 105
latest reply

@suck_it_pinks wrote:

@sun_blaze9857 wrote:

Seems you are not really reading these threads? ? ? No where did I mention anything about stop buying comics on eBay or anything.

You need to re-read what BPM said. He suggested that your standards are so high you couldn't possibly be buying comics from dirtbag Ebay. He never said you said that.

Precisely.  So you can buy grossly over graded comics on eBay but buying one book with fingerprints ruined your experience with CGC forever?  Right... my money is on this whole story being yet another sun_blaze fantasy

Message 66 of 105
latest reply

Well, I'd rather buy a grossly overgraded comic then a grossly overpriced comic. So far I haven't received any grossly overgraded comics from eBay. Someone unfamiliar with comics might want the CGC grading, but for me it wouldn't be a necessity.

Message 67 of 105
latest reply

Are you one of those ancient collectors that fights change.  Does not like graded comics because the price has gone up.  Does not like graded comics because that comic you bought 20 years ago looked real nice for the age but it is only VG.  I have seen the old timers fight against card grading but they should have embraced it as it was and still is the wave of the future.  Time to expand your horizons.

Message 68 of 105
latest reply

BTW what is this fingerprint thing anyways.  Did the fingerprints get on the comic after you took it out of the holder. 

I believe it is good hygiene to keep fingers out of butt while reading comics.

Message 69 of 105
latest reply

@sun_blaze9857 wrote:

So far I haven't received any grossly overgraded comics from eBay.

You're either the luckiest buyer on eBay, you don't buy many comics on eBay, or a liar.  I think I know which the correct answer is.

Message 70 of 105
latest reply

Has nothing to do with luck. There are some really good sellers you can trust, so if you buy from those good sellers. Also, new sellers can be honest too. For Bronze and earlier books, I make sure they have a real picture and for Golden Age books they should have more than 2 pictures, otherwise I'll send them a message and ask whatever question needs to be answered. Those that don't respond probably have something going on there. You can usually look at a picture and figure out if the grade is close or not. Sometimes they misgrade, but the picture is all I really need. I have also purchased a couple comics from 'high-grade' sellers. The pictures showed something in the form of VG, so I knew what I was getting. The price was for lower grade, so couldn't expect high grade, etc. The picture is worth a thousand words. And that could also be an excellent new discussion topic. I am tired of discussing CGC; TIRED!!!!! Tired of discussing it with the same people. So, that's it - YOU DONE MADE ME TIRED!

I'm done with CGC! Finished. Robot Indifferent

Message 71 of 105
latest reply

Excellent, that's all we asked because we are beyond tired of your uneducated opinions and made up stories on the topic!
Message 72 of 105
latest reply

That's really ok. I am talking of my experience.

Message 73 of 105
latest reply

@sun_blaze9857 wrote:

That's really ok. I am talking of my experience.

Sure you are, now please follow through on what you said above and leave the topic to those who know what they're talking about.  Thanks!

Message 74 of 105
latest reply

You wouldn't want to grade anything that falls below an 8.0. That's the best advice you'll get. 🙂
Message 75 of 105
latest reply