cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage top hat hard hat Resistol?

picked this up thrifting and believe it may be a dressage type half top hat, it seems like a hard hat.  Would say it is felt.  No markings other than what is on the liner, as pictured.  Were liners like this used by different manufactuers?  My searches led me to a similar hat that was sold and was made by Resistol.  It had the same lining but I figure if the hat was that brand it would be labled.  Any help appreciated, thank you!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

And what does the liner say?  No close-up photograph.  One you've posted is upside down.

Debora

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Figure it says "Made in the USA"

Rita
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It is not Resistol, whose logo is distinctive. 

It's a typical hat lining, yes. 

It's impossible to make out the label, upside and unfocused, except that, like Rita, I think I see "Made in the USA."  Otherwise, it looks like a fantasy "coat of arms."   If you will post a good, clear picture, right-side up, someone might be able to ID it. 

I can't tell from the upside down photo if the hat is a square-crowned bowler, a low top hat, or something else.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I have been trying to find some info about this hat. FYI: I find many internet pictures with the hat's liner shown "upside down," so no need to be critical of this poster's photo. In any event, the logo looks like it is trying to simulate Stetson's crest logo, but if the hat were a Stetson, I believe it would say Stetson. Whoever made the hat is not too interested in stating its name, perhaps relying on the similarity to Stetson's crest logo to make one think it is a Stetson.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@daintydorothydoll wrote:

I have been trying to find some info about this hat. FYI: I find many internet pictures with the hat's liner shown "upside down," so no need to be critical of this poster's photo.

OP is free to ask for help.  I'm free to note that it difficult to provide that help with poor, upside down photos.  I was, however, able to answer two of the OP's questions based on the photos and did so.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Stetson's logo is one that will jump out at you, upside down or otherwise, if you know anything about hats. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@daintydorothydoll wrote:

Stetson's logo is one that will jump out at you, upside down or otherwise, if you know anything about hats. 

Right.  But, as you said, this is not a Stetson.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for all the responses and apologies for the poor pictures!  It only says Made in the USA and no other markings anywhere.  I got it for 3 bucks.  It is not a full top hat and it seems like a hard hat to me(I used to ride so a little familiar with hard hats.). Was hoping it might have more value than what I paid.  Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond and help!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply