cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on a Vintage ? Chinese Pottery

This piece of Chinese Pottery has been in the family for 32 years at least hence the vintage.  It may be much older but I don't have any clue.

I hope someone on the board could share more information on it.

Thank you once again.IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You are showing two different pieces of pottery. Show some close ups of the 2nd piece. Show the top and the edges of the base.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for your reply.

That's only 1 piece, in fact.  I took the top to show the thickness of the rim; base for the Chinese writing;  and one side for the print.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The piece (brushpot) has a six-character Tongzhi (1862 - 1873) Period mark on base, but I don't believe the piece dates to the period as the mark suggest. 

My guess would be.... probably made in the second half of the 20th C. 

Please keep in mind that I'm no expert in the field of Asian Art and there's only so much one can do with images shown over an open public forum such as this. 

For better and more accurate results, I suggest you place this item in-hand of a professional in the field of Asian Art.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Yes, most like it possibly mid-20th C which is still older than the 32 years we've had it.

Interesting piece though.  

Would be more than surprised if it was anywhere from 1862.  Too good a condition to be at that age.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

There are many fake ones out there,they will choose an obscure period of history so it cannot be traced easily,this emperor died at age 18.
But they also mass produce the popular Qing emperor period because there are so many originals they can copy.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Many thanks for the link 🙂

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

So true on fake pottery and all.

I buy more because of the pattern and this is one of them.  Got carried away with one large Chinese jar but with that I was confident on what I was buying as I know the owner and where the piece came from.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply