cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identifying German Dagger

Trying this again.... I don't think my first post went through.

I'm trying to sell what I think is a German Land Customs Dagger and Scabbard for a friend, but we don't have any history on it - nor do we even know if it's authentic or not.  He got it at a local sale, and is needing to sell it now.  I am trying to help him, and recently set up an ebay account to sell some of his collectibles and things he finds at garage sales, etc.  

Can anybody help me or give me any advice on finding out if this is authentic or not?  It looks like daggers that I found online that were called German Land Customs Daggers - it has a wire wrapped black handle, leather on the scabbard, marked E&F Horster/Solingen.  Everything looks good to me, but I've only spent a short amount of time trying to research it online.  I hope to get the most money that I can for my friend, as he's going through some rough times right now.  I realize that this new ebay account that I set up will probably hinder my chance at getting the best price for him, since he only has 3 feedback right now.  I've been selling online for  years, but really don't want to list this on my account since if it's real, I realize it could be worth quite a bit and I'd rather list it on his account for tax purposes.  

Any help, thoughts, tips, advice would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Julie 

daggersmall.jpg

daggersmall4.jpg

daggersmall2.jpg

daggersmall3.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not something you can sell on ebay anyway (repro or not). It's prohibited under "offensive materials"

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Similar items are sold on ebay all the time.  Search sold listings for german dagger, etc.  and you can see them.  

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Many things are sold every day on eBay that violate eBay policy.  If your listing is reported, you can have your selling privileges suspended -- permanently.

Below is copied from the eBay "Policies" pages, and I added the red for your quick reference. 

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/offensive.html

Nazi and Nazi-related

We recognize the historical significance of World War II and that there are many militaria collectors around the world. We allow some related historical items, but ban others, particularly those that amount to Nazi propaganda, or that are disrespectful to victims.

Allowed

Allowed

• Stamps, letters, and envelopes displaying Nazi postmarks (must comply with the currency and stamp policy)

• Currency issued by the Nazi German government, including military scripts

• Historically accurate WWII military model kits that have Nazi symbols

Not allowed 

Not allowed

Items that are not permitted include, but are not limited to:

• Historical Holocaust-related items, including reproductions such as:

• Uniforms and personal belongings of concentration camp prisoners

• Jewish identification (armbands, Star of David)

• Holocaust photos that depict dead bodies, executions, or other violent or degrading scenes

• Nazi-issued documents (passports, travel papers)

• Historical Nazi-related items, including reproductions such as:

• Uniforms, uniform components, weapons, or other items that bear Nazi symbols, whether visible or covered

• Listings in which images are edited or cropped to try and hide Nazi symbols

• Denazified items (items that originally had Nazi symbols that have been removed)

• 1936 Olympic medals

• Items that were owned by, affiliated with, or books written by Nazi leaders such as:

• Joseph Goebbels

• Hermann Goering

• Rudolf Hess

• Reinhard Heydrich

• Heinrich Himmler

• Adolf Hitler

• Media identified as Nazi propaganda or that otherwise promote hatred or racial supremacy including historic and current items

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

If you are one of the unlucky ones who gets reported, you could be banned from selling on EBay.   Try a differenet site, here's one  http://ibuyworldwar2.com/tag/customs-daggers/             I don't know anything about the dagger or the website good luck

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you.  I've tried contacting that website but haven't heard from them.  I do have another expert that I found online who thinks it is authentic.  I'll try to sell it to one of the collector sites I guess. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

It is a land customs dagger, there were many different makers and that would determine the collector value. I would be interested in purchasing it if it is still available.

regards,

Feedog-6

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

some will mislead you, the key is 'nazi' items are banned for sale as is any item which can be attributed to members of the 'nazi' party, looks like officer material, most of the real Nazi daggers will havea  swastika on the hilt. the cities mentioned are recognized as producing top quality edged weapons.

HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

MISERICORDIAS DOMINI IN AETERNVM CANTABO AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

https://www.google.com/search?q=german+officer+dagger&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjC7...

HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

MISERICORDIAS DOMINI IN AETERNVM CANTABO AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
Message 9 of 9
latest reply