cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas Tree Glass Garlands

I bought a box of glass (I assume mercury but don't know how to determine this) Christmas tree garlands recently at an estate sale.  Much of the color is gone from the beads.  The problem is:  the beads have a greasy, sticky film.  Is there a way to clean these without risking losing the color completely?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

That's a shame.  If they were mine and I considered them too icky to use or to sell, I'd have a go at cleaning them.  I mean, if you can't use or sell them as they are, there's no loss.  Maybe you'll find that with the gentlest of cleaning with the mildest of soap and warm water, you do end up with something useable or sellable.  But that's just my take.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I don't know of any way you can clean them without risking damage, but here's an eBay Guide that might be helpful:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/CLEANING-STORING-REPAIRING-VINTAGE-HOLIDAY-DECORATIONS-/10000000018455221/g....

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you, I was afraid it would say not to clean them and it did!
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

That's a shame.  If they were mine and I considered them too icky to use or to sell, I'd have a go at cleaning them.  I mean, if you can't use or sell them as they are, there's no loss.  Maybe you'll find that with the gentlest of cleaning with the mildest of soap and warm water, you do end up with something useable or sellable.  But that's just my take.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I did clean them and yes, the paint came off, but one set is appealing anyway. I will list it and give the true info in the description. Thank you for responding!
Message 5 of 5
latest reply