cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

I got these a while ago from an elderly relative, among other items, and I'm considering putting it up for sale.  I checked for sold listings and there were only a few, with the prices all over the place, from about $10 to about $75, including some best offers accepted (which apparently doesn't show the actual price). One thing about the cup I have is that it is all gold inside, like the one that sold for the higher price. So a few questions:

1. How would I go about deciding on a fair price?

2. Are all these cups and saucers more or less in the above range, or might there be a special year or style that would be of significantly more value?

3. I mentioned the inside is gold. Is that real gold? Just want to make sure I use the correct terminology to describe it.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

The price of everything and the value of nothing, eh?

I guarantee you that ten minutes -- maximum -- with the links I gave you will tell you when your piece was made, how it was made, where it fits on the "desirability" scale, and whether or not you can attribute it to J.A. Bailey.  

Here's the important bit:  When you learn something for yourself, it sticks with you -- and sets you up to have a better idea what to do the next time you run across Aynsley pieces, in particular, or other pieces of china, in general, which you need to research.

But, OK, here it is on a salver for you and, believe me, the loss is yours.

The mark on the piece dates it to 1934 - 1939.

Before the 1930s, Aynsley China was entirely hand-painted.  In general, this is the most desirable Aynsley.

Starting in the 1930s, it was hand-finished over a transfer printed design.  In general, this is less desirable but still very much sought-after, especially the hand-signed pieces.

In the 1970s, even the hand-finishing was abandoned.  In general, this is the least desirable;  still, it has many fans and certain pieces and patterns fetch nice prices.

J.A. Bailey was one of several notables working for Aynsley during the period in question (1930s).  But if it isn't signed "J.A. Bailey," as below, it shouldn't be attributed to his hand.

Sig01.jpg     Sig02.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

Sorry, but you say these and I see no these.

Gold inside doesn't matter.  What matters is pattern (replacements.com), age and condition.

I"m not a big Aynsley fan, but I'd want something very old and in perfect condition.  And on the note-do you know what crazing is?

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

Those saucers or salad plates need a new picture.  Bright light on a neutral color background.  And start with a single plate, not all of them.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

"These" refered to the title of my post. But here is a photo.

Replacements.com has 85 pages of photos. Not easy to deal with.

I didn't know what crazing is, but having looked it up it does not apply to what I have.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

You say you found only a few, but I found 446 "sold" listings for Aynsley cups and saucers.  Sale prices range from a few dollars to a few hundreds of dollars, depending on age, pattern, condition. 

Aynsley made a lot of cups and saucers between 1775 and the time it began changing hands, to one buyer after another, in 1970.  (Even post-1970, there is some quite desirable Aynsley.)

Aynsley marks and patterns are well documented, and it is worth your while to find out exactly what you have before listing it. 

Marks:
https://www.google.com/#q=Aynsley+marks

Patterns:
https://www.google.com/#q=Aynsley+patterns

Sold on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Aynsley+Cup+and+Saucer&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo...

Enjoy the research, and I hope your reward is that you have a winner.

-

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

Oh, and on the bottom of the cup is handwritten 61024 P. What does that mean?

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

It appears that when I clicked on "used" in the advanced search, it limited the results. Unclicking that gave the number you found.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

"Replacements.com has 85 pages of photos. Not easy to deal with...."

I meant to say that for this you don't need (and more than likely won't find) a pattern name.  Just describe it with as many details as you can muster, with keywords being things like footed, pink roses, hand-painted, gold interior and foot, and so on.  Include good pictures of the cup, saucer, and all marks.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

Scroll down to he bottom see one that looks like yours:

http://hand-painted-gold.xyz/category/aynsley/

Past my bedtime.  Eyes gritty.  But that should get you started, after you've "run" the mark to get an idea of the date.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

Thank you. That certainly looks like a match and it sold for a high amount. Does that mean that mine is also "hand painted" or were there mass produced ones along with some that were hand painted? The reason I ask, as  a complete newbie for these things, is that that listing also said it was "signed." I don't see any signature on mine. But there is writing on the back. Please refer to photo. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated as I would not want to misrepresent anything.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

I just looked at my tea cup with a magnifier and saw halftone dots, so the pattern seems to have been printed in some manner and not hand painted. So I'm confused about the apparently identical tea cup and saucer in the link that maxine*j provided, which was described as hand painted.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

Where did all the helpful people go? slight_frown  I'd like to come to some conclusion about this cup and saucer.

So some previous sales of similar items were for several hundreds of dollars, but they all were described as being hand painted. I assume that's what gave them the value they had. Based on close inspection of my items, they appear to be printed (because of halftone dots and lack of signature). So I assume that puts them in the < $100 range, depending on condition.

Am I on the right track here? I'm still puzzled as to how the linked item that went for over $800 and was described as hand painted with signature seems to match exactly the pattern that my items have. Were some of this pattern hand painted and most mass produced?

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

All the helpful people have given you enough information to start you on your research. If I saw half-tone dots, the next thing I'd do is search Aynsley transfer printed, because that's what those dots mean. There seems to be a wealth of information and listings to look at to help you arrive at some sort of value.

ss

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

It's pointless for me to become very knowledgable about Aynsley bone china for this one-time sale. A simple answer to my  question would have been helpful.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

The price of everything and the value of nothing, eh?

I guarantee you that ten minutes -- maximum -- with the links I gave you will tell you when your piece was made, how it was made, where it fits on the "desirability" scale, and whether or not you can attribute it to J.A. Bailey.  

Here's the important bit:  When you learn something for yourself, it sticks with you -- and sets you up to have a better idea what to do the next time you run across Aynsley pieces, in particular, or other pieces of china, in general, which you need to research.

But, OK, here it is on a salver for you and, believe me, the loss is yours.

The mark on the piece dates it to 1934 - 1939.

Before the 1930s, Aynsley China was entirely hand-painted.  In general, this is the most desirable Aynsley.

Starting in the 1930s, it was hand-finished over a transfer printed design.  In general, this is less desirable but still very much sought-after, especially the hand-signed pieces.

In the 1970s, even the hand-finishing was abandoned.  In general, this is the least desirable;  still, it has many fans and certain pieces and patterns fetch nice prices.

J.A. Bailey was one of several notables working for Aynsley during the period in question (1930s).  But if it isn't signed "J.A. Bailey," as below, it shouldn't be attributed to his hand.

Sig01.jpg     Sig02.jpg

Message 15 of 21
latest reply