cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANYONE HEARD OF BRONZE ARTIST DUKE DUCOTE?

Has anyone heard of Duke DuCote; the artist of this bronze piece I bought at an estate auction? Also, is this still called a statue, even though it's more like a plaque?

Finally, on the back of it is engraved BEAVER NEERS - does anyone know what that is suppose to mean?!

I appreciate any help.

AA COLLECTIBLE BRONZE STATUE BEAVERS 1ABC Resized.jpg

AA COLLECTIBLE BRONZE STATUE BEAVERS 3CC statue title RESIZED.jpg

AA COLLECTIBLE BRONZE STATUE BEAVERS 3CCS statue title ReSized.jpg

AA COLLECTIBLE BRONZE STATUE BEAVERS 4AAA info sticker RESIZED.jpg

Trying to be the person my dogs always knew I could be
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

I think "Beaverneers" may be a play on words to be like pioneers.

As far as to what to call it I would simply call it a "small bronze" without specifying statue or otherwise perhaps.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

THANK YOU - THAT HELPS!

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I found a 1985 newspaper article about someone's collection of nautical memorabilia, in which it said, "An artist friend, Duke Ducote of Kansas City, Kan., carved the 'salty' sea captain that stands nearby..."
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

I nextfound a 1971 newspaper article about a Colorado art gallery that had an art exhibition that included a "wood carving by Duke Ducote."
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Thank you! Now I can list it as a 'Bronze statue by listed artist'!

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

I think "Beaverneers" is meant to be a play on the word "Engineers"
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Unless its marked with his name,Id be very careful about attributing this to him. Your basing that on a sticker someone else put on it. It could possibly open you up to a snad. Its adorable,I love it and would buy it ,but I searched and searched and couldnt find any examples of his work in bronze. So its a sticky wicket. 

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

I did a search with Duke Ducote in quotes and got several auction results for what sounds like your piece but no pictures.  There was one auction attributing a different piece to Duke Ducote described as follows: "Nice small Western bronze of a roaming buffalo on a wooden plinth. Numbered 3/100 and signed "Rouge Spurr," attributed to Duke Ducote."  but again, no pictures.  Here is the link to the search in case you would like to take a look.  I just glanced over a few of the links so maybe I missed something.  Hope this is helpful.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Duke+Ducote%22+bronze&biw=1047&bih=490&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=JVydVY...

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

I also found the buffalo link w/o photos, but that was as far as I got.

Your right johnnycb09

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@kens10666pp8 wrote:
I think "Beaverneers" is meant to be a play on the word "Engineers"

I like that much better! Undoubtedly that is it!

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

johnnycb09 made an excellent point and in spite of what I am finding, I think he is absolutely correct that unless the piece is marked by that artist, it should not be conclusively attributed to him.

Having said that, I found THIS link to a Kansas directory listing for Ducote (emphasis mine). I don't see where it indicates if those studio listings are current, but perhaps he is still active?

6.  Ducote, Duke
Sculpture in bronze, stone and wood, western themes.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I checked the cache on the page to which that link directs you and it says it is a snapshot of the page as of June 23, 2015, but the "Duke Ducote" link in the cached image is dead.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Yes I knew Duke ducote. I have a lot of his wood carvings. He lived in kansas city, kansas

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Did the man you know do any painting, I have the ugliest painting I posted some years ago by Duke.....never got any where with it, but the painting has a mark I was told he used as a signature but never got anything but award for the ugliest painting....I got the same info as posted here 

Message 15 of 24
latest reply