cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay banning Cuban coin? They're pre castro fer Pete's sake

Tried to list some 1st republic Cuban coin and I get this warning. As of April 9, 2013 eBay will no longer allow Cuban coins of currency. My coins are not embargoed because they predate Castro. But eBay, in its infinite wisdom has decided  to ban all Cuban coins and currency.

Any chance of appealing to reason and getting them to reverse this decision ? (ok, quit laughing) 

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

I guess March 2 is more than a week or two ago

Time accelerates as you age

This was not an ebay item

Message 16 of 69
latest reply

OP here

It was a "warning notice" that appeared after "continue"

It let me list , but I expect any such listing will be removed on 4-9-13. I timed mine to end before then

Message 17 of 69
latest reply

OP here

It was a "warning notice" that appeared after "continue"

It let me list , but I expect any such listing will be removed on 4-9-13. I timed mine to end before then

:^O!  Great!  But based on the prior post, you may not be able to get paid for it!  Details, details... eBay will set landmines for you faster than you can locate them all!

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 18 of 69
latest reply

I see plenty of Cuban coins for sale here both old and new.  I have purchased at least one of them.  Keep in mind that the US government is always finding new ways to cut off any trade with Cuba, even to the point of bullying other nations into compliance.  I am no fan of the Cuban regime but our policy is getting old and tiresome after half a century.

Message 19 of 69
latest reply

It is illegal to buy Cuban coins but you can buy the seeds and grow the coins yourself.

Message 20 of 69
latest reply

you can only get the ones that come from Cuban cutting that a growing the ones in Nicaragua... the ones from Cuba are still verboten...

Message 21 of 69
latest reply

cuttingS, dang it...

Message 22 of 69
latest reply

4/9 is here and the Cuba category still boasts 2000+ coins, including items newly listed as of today

Message 23 of 69
latest reply

b4wemet
Trailblazer

A "BUMP" for Engscoins.

Message 24 of 69
latest reply

odpino
Enthusiast

That interpretation would make sense in the case of the Cuba First Republic coins.  I think some rookie lawyer at eBay (probably born since the embargo in 1962) decided to make a name for himself by "plugging the gap" and this is the result.

Message 25 of 69
latest reply

odpino
Enthusiast

So here it is, April 19, and now we know the depths of eBay ignorance.  I sold several of my duplicate Cuban coins before April 9 and never saw a warning.  It wasn't until I listed 3 more on April 10 that I saw a warning, but it let me list them.  However, I went to change my listings on April 11, and was not allowed.  So I unlisted them.  I didn't see any reason to allow eBay to profit from my (according to them) "illegal" activity.

So any items listed before April 9 remain on the site, and any listings set to automatically re-list continue to re-list.  However, no new items are allowed.

As a Cuban expatriate collecting only pre-Castro (i.e. First Republic) coins I feel discriminated against, and a US citizen I feel my rights violated.

• Ban the sale of Second Republic (those minted in Cuba after Castro's rise to power)?  Absolutely, because they we produced and obviously imported after the embargo

• Ban the sale of First Republic (those minted in the US prior to Castro's rise to power and hence prior to the embargo) to or from other countries? Maybe, since one could argue that they may have been exported from Cuba since the embargo

• Ban the sale of First Republic coins within the US?  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  That is ridiculous. This only hurts eBay and makes it difficult (there are other ways to sell than eBay) for us to pursue our hobby

I sure wish the would get an ounce of common sense.

Message 26 of 69
latest reply

I sure wish the would get an ounce of common sense.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 27 of 69
latest reply

Well, that went phoof. Once again.....

I sure wish they would get an ounce of common sense.

In big business common sense can be a positive bar to promotion to the policy level, you are seen as not a team player.

If a 'Superior' comes up with a half baked idea, shooting it full of holes and pointing out the obvious defects is taken as a personal attack, and you'll either be working in the mailroom or clearing your desk if you dare to try it.

The bigger the business the more stultified it gets as watching you back becomes more important than good results.

Often the only ones with a grasp of the practical drawbacks to some new scheme have no possible input to management.

The juggernaut may run on for years through sheer momentum, but it is a headless chicken.

Message 28 of 69
latest reply

I sure wish they would get an ounce of common sense.

Promotion is for yes men. Common sense often requires a 'no'

Message 29 of 69
latest reply

Probably not everyone will be suject to the 'banning' of Cuban coins in eBay. I raised the question about the HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS they have listed...and they claimed updated  'US government regulations' Ha, ha, ha ! When I said that I felt I was discriminated since many of the big stores and from abroad they are listing and selling the same items. Of course, the final excuse given was sort of the same that the cops give you when you cross w/a yellow light and the other guy crosses the red light and YOU get a ticket. "We can't catch everyone..." Again, Ha, ha, ha!  Don't you want to open a store in eBay?

Message 30 of 69
latest reply