cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay banning Cuban coin? They're pre castro fer Pete's sake

Tried to list some 1st republic Cuban coin and I get this warning. As of April 9, 2013 eBay will no longer allow Cuban coins of currency. My coins are not embargoed because they predate Castro. But eBay, in its infinite wisdom has decided  to ban all Cuban coins and currency.

Any chance of appealing to reason and getting them to reverse this decision ? (ok, quit laughing) 

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: eBay banning Cuban coin? They're pre castro fer Pete's sake

And the Republic of Cuba coins were MADE in U.S.A. (Philadelphia Mint) The smart heads of eBay have not figured that one out yet????? Wow! I should apply for a job in their legal department.

Message 31 of 69
latest reply

Good letter. Best of luck.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 32 of 69
latest reply

According to T&S there is little chance of getting this ridiculous ban overturned. It is clear to me at least, this ban is misplaced and misdirected against the wrong beneficiaries of such numismatic sales.

Also, not only is eBay's ban of Cuban coins in effect, you'll have the same difficulty listing coins from places such as Sudan, Syria and Iran. Lumping all countries for which the current US regime has political problems makes no sense in destroying commerce that benefits those who are bona fide US taxpayers.

Message 33 of 69
latest reply

According to T&S there is little chance of getting this ridiculous ban overturned. It is clear to me at least, this ban is misplaced and misdirected against the wrong beneficiaries of such numismatic sales.

Also, not only is eBay's ban of Cuban coins in effect, you'll have the same difficulty listing coins from places such as Sudan, Syria and Iran. Lumping all countries for which the current US regime has political problems makes no sense in destroying commerce that benefits those who are bona fide US taxpayers.

I search Iran on a routine basis and, thus far, I have not noticed any decrease in the volume of coins from Iran being listed.

Message 34 of 69
latest reply

odpino
Enthusiast

Well, guess what I just found? I was reading the article below when I was struck by the name of the United States Ambassador to the United Nations Human Right Council, Eileen Chamberlain Donahoe. Guess who her husband is; John Donahoe, President & CEO, eBay.

http://news.yahoo.com/no-freedom-speech-cuba-despite-easier-foreign-travel-170542143.html

Now at least we know what we're fighting.

Message 35 of 69
latest reply

Looks like JD's the wife's sock puppet.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 36 of 69
latest reply

I myself (incriminating myself here) have a Cuban coin up on eBay right now, and I list it as a coin from "That country 90 miles South of Key West".

Hasn't sold yet, but t hasn't been removed either.

I do see there are no longer coins from Cuba listed, with the exception of a few stragglers, as of todays posting.

Message 37 of 69
latest reply

It s even more stupid that Ebay was allowing the sale of Cuban material for over a decade and now they,breaking American laws themselves,forbid the sale of even pre Castro coins and without any previous warning.....outrageous and partially illegal move.....somebody should sue them....
Message 38 of 69
latest reply

what makes this extra ridiculous is that a lot of the silver cuban coins were MADE IN THE USA!!!!  the ignorance is beyond frustrating.

Message 39 of 69
latest reply

it is ignorant what ebay is doing but your rights arent't being violated (at least by ebay).  they have a right to conduct business as stupidly as they wish. if you don't like it, don't do business with them.  that is how a free market works.

Message 40 of 69
latest reply

You can still sell coins from Cuba and North Korea just fine, simply don't use the words "Cuba" or "North Korea",

Besides, this has no basis in US law, this is strictly an eBay thing.

Message 41 of 69
latest reply

JUST A WARNING:

This is not just an E-bay thing.

This week I sold 2 Cuban coins from the Netherlands to Australia. Other site then E-bay. Buyer payd with Pay-pal.

Pay-pal reversed the payment, my PP account is now under investigation and I have to sign a statement I will

not violate reasonable use policies again, which to me is confessing guilty.

They also reported me to OFAC.

My crime: I offered a few coins (5) from countries (Cuba, Irak, Sudan etc.) and I offered Pay-pal as a payment method

in these adds.

I have a hard time understanding this. Whole of Ebay is full of sellers that do the same, no actions taken.

But you all better be carefull.

I probably will lose my Pay-pal account because I will NEVER sign this statement as long as E-bay is full of

adds from sellers offering coins from these countries with Pay-pal as method of payment.

Message 42 of 69
latest reply

"We don't permit the sale of items that claim to be pre-embargo because we cannot are too lazy to determine when an item was removed from a specific country and for darn sure we're not going to trust our sellers to make that determination"

Pity the poor merchants in Cuba, Missouri or anyone trying to list Cuba Gooding Jr. items.

Message 43 of 69
latest reply

THAT FITS RIGHT INTO PLACE WITH THE A$$ HOLES THAT THINK THE ILLEGAL HELMS BURTON EMBARGO IS A GOOD IDEA. 

EBAY IS A DATING SERVICE FOR BUYERS/SELLERS. DON'T LOOK FOR ANY INTEGRITY. THEY ALLOW MIAMI CUBANS TO SELL ENDANGERED SHELLS OF CUBAN POLYMITAS....ENDANGERED SPECIES....YET THEY WON'T ALLOW SOMEONE TO SELL THE COINS FROM AMERICANS THAT WERE PRE CASTRO? IF THEY ARE GOING TO BAN COINS, IS SHOULD BE POST REVOLUTIOIN COINS AND NOTHING ELSE. AND THOSE POLYMITAS DESERVE SOME HUMAN CONSIDERATION. SUCH A$$HOLES!

Message 44 of 69
latest reply

@hruga wrote:

THAT FITS RIGHT INTO PLACE WITH THE A$$ HOLES THAT THINK THE ILLEGAL HELMS BURTON EMBARGO IS A GOOD IDEA. 

how funny... it passed both houses of congress by a 3:1 margin and was signed into law by President Clinton... it's been in place for almost 18 years...

if it's illegal, why hasn't it been overturned by the Supreme Court?

Message 45 of 69
latest reply