cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the best way to ship rolls of coins?

Ive been selling the odd rolls of coins lately, nothing too valuable, mostly single rolls of silver halves, quarters, or dimes. If Im selling one roll of coins at a time is it best to just ship them in the usual paper coin wrapper or do buyers want them packed differently? These coins are pretty much just for silver value.

My other question is about the package itself. I can ship a single roll of coins by first class mail and so far Ive been shipping each roll in a small box. Would it make any difference if I shipped them in a 5x8 padded envelope? That would save on shipping cost a bit.  Im just wondering if a padded envelope for a single roll of coins is as acceptible as a small box would be. Thank you.   

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

I use bubble mailers on anything that will fit, but I think mine are roughly 8 x 11 size.  I use heavy duty 3M Shipping tape to make sure the label does not peel up on the sides.  

To ship a roll of whatever I usually use a plastic tube but paper rolls seem fine.  I put mine in a manila envelope and then use a little more bubble wrap around the envelope and slip inside the mailer.

So far I haven't had any problems shipping that way.  I weigh the whole works before packing allowing a little extra for the tape and divide grams by 28 to get ounces.  If I add insurance for coins I use the USPS, because shipinsure does not include coverage for coins.  Then I use first class 2-5 days and it costs $1.69 currently for shipping USPS for a 3 oz package.  Include USPS insurance for 3 oz  (insured for $49.99)costs $3.64 and 3 oz (insured for $99.99) cost $3.81.   A 4 oz same scenario (insured $49.99) costs $4.14 and 4 oz (insured for $99.99) costs $4.31.  

Sometimes I insure an item for a bit less than the sales price, I figure if it was lost (well, stolen) then I am actually covering what I have into the item so I am good with that.  I think that the scenario is OK because if it was stolen I could show my receipts (in my case I have invoices that show what I have paid for items over the counter at my B & M) and that would be sufficient.

For me the bubble mailers are just a whole lot easier.  I use brown shipping paper to wrap boxes and that is a bit of an ordeal that I avoid as much as possible.  When I do use the brown wrap I get comments back like "Fort Knox Packaging".  It's great but time consuming and may be a hassle for someone to find a blade to open the box up with. 

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Bubble mailer is ok, but you don't want it to feel like a roll of coins. It could burst out and get lost in the mailmans pocket. So stuff a little bubblewrap, or wadded up refuse (clean) in there for extra protection against both damage and "damage".

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

thank you to both jesusrocks and impalajohnny for the answers. Jesusrocks Im wondering why you wrap boxes in brown shipping paper. Is it something your supposed to do for packages with coins? 

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

if you show a paper wrapper in pics, ship in the same paper wrapper... if you show a tube, ship in the same tube...

IOW, if you show a container, ship THAT EXACT container...

i wouldn't ship rolls in anything but a well-padded box... heavy and bubble mailers are not friends...

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

no, not because of the items being coins. Anything I send in a box I wrap in that paper that we wet with a small sponge and stick on and wrap the corners by cutting and folding in.  I think it is one of those things we always have done and so do it out of habit and because it isn't broke so why fix it?  The original reason I am sure is because it is secure.  We use the brown shipping paper, oh what is it called? Um I think corrugated shipping paper.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

You are supposed to use brown grocery store bags as wrapping paper.

Cue sound of music sound track,

"brown paper packages tied up with string,

These are a few of my favorite things"

I like the old timey feel of brown paper, it's how my grandfather mailed things. But I abandoned brown paper when ups said they don't take it because it gets ripped off in sort machines. The said only the PO takes it but it's still a risk with their machines. So no more brown paper for me.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

i wouldn't ship rolls in anything but a well-padded box... heavy and bubble mailers are not friends...

I'm assuming OP meant one roll but smedley is absolutely correct if you load a bubble mailer with rolls it will bust, anything heavy needs a box.

Also tape down the flap, that glue can melt in the back of a hot mail truck. And tape over the edge seam of the flap. The mailer has a plastic lining but the end flap is paper, if it gets wet it will turn to mush and your roll will fall right out. Bridge the gap in the plastic with your own external plastic tape reinforcement.

I've experienced dissolved glue and wet flap first hand.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

I buy cases of 5X8 and 8x12 I believe, bubble envelopes and to me the worl's largest roll of bubble wrap. I buy my packing tape also by the case. Add to that labels in bulk and I am good. Other than various size priority boxes I have shipped everything out in the bubble wrappers. Bubble wrap and securely taped. In the envelope and then the flap is taped down and there are two vertical pieces of tape from front to back. My envelopes are puffy but nothing has ever been lost or damaged, short of two 100 Mexican Pesos, but I think that was a scam as eight were there and two slipped out.

For one roll of coins I would use a bubble mailer. Two rolls possibly the same mailer, but three or more rolls get boxed. It also depends on the type of rolled coins they are. The larger and heavier the coin the more certain it gets boxed.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

...just to be precise about it all,  when I ship rolls in a bubble mailer it is usually just dimes or quarters, yes the others would be too heavy for the mailer.  If the roll is not quite full I stuff a wad of kleenex in to fill the gap.

Whatever I ship in a mailer I even out the item by using rolled up sheets of bubble mailer distributed evenly throughout the package.  

When shipping halves or silver dollars I use archival flips (saflips) and put them in a 5 x 7 ziploc and then in a manila envelope with our business name stamped on it.  More business as usual type stuff.  I always double or triple bag everything.  Then more bubble wrap and even distribution mentality.  Some overkill I am sure, but the nerdy coin guys seem to appreciate it. 

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

I'll ship one roll in a bubble mailer, but only a cheap roll.  Cover most of the entire mailer in packing tape, including all the edges, because they can tear.  I'd stuff it with tissue, or staple the roll in thick paperboard to keep it centered in the mailer - heavy things that shift around inside packages are not good.  This is particularly something I'll to where the added weight of a box will push the whole thing out past 13 Oz. and force me (actually, the buyer) into paying for Priority Mail rates.

As for the "roll" itself, I agree with smed... if you showed a roll, ship it in a roll.  I normally sell rolls spread out so you can see all the coins, and I'll ship the 50 coins loose in a tightly taped zip bag (not rolled).  OTOH, I've got some U.S. Mint rolled coins, obviously I ship those rolls unopened in the original wrapper as shown, and will take measures to preserve the condition and integrity of that wrapper as well as the coins.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 11 of 34
latest reply

Anything I send in a box I wrap in that paper that we wet with a small sponge and stick on and wrap the corners by cutting and folding in.  I think it is one of those things we always have done and so do it out of habit and because it isn't broke so why fix it?

That's a lot different than just wrapping in brown shipping paper... the water adhesive brown paper / tape is very secure and tamper proof both - it's by far the best way, USPS requires it on Registered Mail parcels, which is probably why you've been doing it that way all these years.

I'll use regular brown shipping paper (or paper bags) to wrap boxes (like cereal boxes and the like).  But I make sure to get packing tape over ALL the seams and edges, to prevent any mishaps with postal machines catching it and ripping it off, and often write the address on the cereal box itself in permanent marker too, just in case the paper does somehow get ripped off, so that USPS can still direct it where it needs to go.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

For one roll of coins I would use a bubble mailer. Two rolls possibly the same mailer, but three or more rolls get boxed. It also depends on the type of rolled coins they are. The larger and heavier the coin the more certain it gets boxed.

Once you get out past 2 rolls, it usually requires Priority Mail, and I'm using their Sm Flat Rate boxes at that point anyhow... which aren't entirely secure either, so I still tape the snot out of those and jam it full of paper to prevent items from shifting around inside the box.  Even then, USPS managed to bust one open and let a thightly wrapped and taped bag of 50 Ike Dollars escape once.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

do you include the free prize inside? Just wonderingfreakie.jpg

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

delete-mailedroll.JPG

Message 15 of 34
latest reply