cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble searching in the coins category

I've been buying and selling on ebay in US coins for well over a decade.  I have more years on ebay, than I have posts in the forums.  So I am very frustrated to have even come here for answers.  My normal search for Dollars was auctions only, 200 items per page, ending soonest.  Then click advanced search and choose to exclude certain sellers. I have quite a list of over-priced sellers to exclude.  It worked for me.  So now the ebay page has only 25 items, and the advanced search feature doesn't work.  When it first changed to this new look, I discovered that if I scrolled to the bottom, there was a link "see all results" or something like that.  That link would put me to my normal 200 items with all my other set preferences, and I could do my advanced search.  A few extra steps but it worked.  Now the "see all results" link is no longer there.  I can't figure out how to search more than the 25 items per page.  Ebay has some new filters on the left hand side.  They aren't what I really want, but I tried them.  Sometimes they work, and sometimes not.   I just tried filtering the grading certification.  Auction style PCGS, NGC, ANACS in US gold showed me only 8 items. Should have at least been several hundred. I changed it from auction to fixed price, and the result was the same 8 items.  

Maybe I'm missing something?  I've been doing this a long time.  If I can't navigate the search pages any more, how is a newbie going to figure it out? If anyone has figured out how to make the advanced search feature work on the new pages, or knows what I'm doing wrong, please clue me in.  Thank You, SW.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I appreciate the replies.  smedley, you got me motivated to try again when you said you had no problem getting 200 items to a page.  I was using saved bookmarks to go right to Morgan Dollars or US Gold pre-1933 to get to those pages.  Which gave me the new look of only 25 per page, and the advanced search would not work.  I couldn't change to 200 per page or any of my other preferences from there. To make it work, I clicked advanced search right from my My Ebay page, which gave me advanced search for all categories.  Chose coins and put in my criteria including a paste of all the sellers I want to exclude.  That gave me results for all coins.  Stepped it down from there: US coins>Dollars>Morgan Dollars.  Got the results I wanted.  Did the same process for gold.  Bookmarked the pages, and they work!  Before I always went to the categories, and went through the advanced search process each time.  Now I have bookmarks with all those steps already done.  I'm so freaking happy! 

The advaced search feature does not seem to work if you are already in a category.  I tried it right from the main category of Coins and Currency, and it wouldn't even work from there.  I have to go to advanced search with no category already chosen, and then chose Coins and Currency on the advanced search page.  It never used to be that way.  It shouldn't be that way! Another example of ebay fixing what wasn't broken.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I'm not normally involved in the areas where you are searching, but for U.S. Gold, I tried a few things, and found this:

- U.S. Gold didnt work as well as US Gold

- After that, I needed to select Bullion from the upper left menu, to get some helpful choices

- After doing that, I had options to choose the various TPGs:  PCGS at 876 items, NGC at 595 items, etc.

That sounds better than the 8 items you were seeing...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

the old axiom about not fixing something that ain't broke is never remembered around here...

when they got rid of wildcards in searches i had to completely revamp my daily searches, and even then i couldn't tailor the results the way i wanted...

but i can say i don't have any problems with getting 200 items per page...

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I appreciate the replies.  smedley, you got me motivated to try again when you said you had no problem getting 200 items to a page.  I was using saved bookmarks to go right to Morgan Dollars or US Gold pre-1933 to get to those pages.  Which gave me the new look of only 25 per page, and the advanced search would not work.  I couldn't change to 200 per page or any of my other preferences from there. To make it work, I clicked advanced search right from my My Ebay page, which gave me advanced search for all categories.  Chose coins and put in my criteria including a paste of all the sellers I want to exclude.  That gave me results for all coins.  Stepped it down from there: US coins>Dollars>Morgan Dollars.  Got the results I wanted.  Did the same process for gold.  Bookmarked the pages, and they work!  Before I always went to the categories, and went through the advanced search process each time.  Now I have bookmarks with all those steps already done.  I'm so freaking happy! 

The advaced search feature does not seem to work if you are already in a category.  I tried it right from the main category of Coins and Currency, and it wouldn't even work from there.  I have to go to advanced search with no category already chosen, and then chose Coins and Currency on the advanced search page.  It never used to be that way.  It shouldn't be that way! Another example of ebay fixing what wasn't broken.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

congrats!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply