cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This what a fake 1889 CC Morgan looks like

This is NOT a legit 1889CC. My guess, its a harshly cleaned 1889P Morgan with an added mintmark. The mintmark pictured is NOT a Mint product, it sorta resembles the MM used in 1878, sorta. The 3rd image is an example of the mintmark used in 1889, in ciculated condition. It's very clear that this currently lised Morgan is no good, no question, not a leg to stand on.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

and you are showing us this for what reason?  I believe they have aunthenting /certification places for coins...a few great ones... they would be the ones to catch this and slab it as a fake( well they may not actually slab it when it is a fake, but...)

I'd say from just the picture, it would be hard to say 100%, need a loop and some inspection up close to confirm, but I will take your word and say FAKER!

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

oh i see the very close up...nice,,, would have to compare it and examine it...but ok..nice thanks

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

oh i see the very close up...nice,,, would have to compare it and examine it...but ok..nice thanks

wait is that a close up of a real one ? or the fake...  I am not sure it can be proven this way...but if in doubt then no one should buy it ... 

oh well..ok.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Ebay only allows a few minutes to edit, "This is what a fake 1889 CC Morgan looks like" is the title I wanted. The 3rd image is from the web, of a legit mintmark used in 1889 and for all other CC morgans except the 1878. Plus in 1880, the Mint did use reverse dies from 1878, hence 1880 CC rev. of 1878
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

The 1st 2 images are from the seller, the 3rd is of a legit mintmark. This is a slam dunk in your face counterfeit, no questions asked, no doubt about it.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

and why are you expressing it here? did you report it... do you have the authority and the credentials to state such fact.... 

we are members here, we don't do anything to remove or call out...a listing...

you can report listings...but you are talking about calling some one out...did you contact the seller ..they may not realize that colombo has them spotted.....  

i am not sure why this is important for you?...call ebay or express to the seller your concerns, but don't be suprised if it can't or isn't just removed upon your say so....

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

oh... there are boards for coins etc...they maybe "experts" and can agree with you there....

good luck

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

RE: the OP

Yes, this is a fake coin. It is most likely a fairly recently manufactured die-pressed forgery from China made in .900 fine silver. It has also been worked over by a coin doctor in the attempt to obfuscate visual detection.

I will not elaborate on why I conclude it to be a forgery because there are forgers who use forums like this to "improve" upon their nefarious wares, all in the attempt to dupe the next generation of coin collectors. I once made a sarcastic remark about an impossible Morgan Dollar mule in a major coin forum hosted by eBay and in 2 weeks the forgers had it manufactured and available on eBay  for me to purchase!

The 89-CC (and other semi-key and key dates) should only be purchased on eBay via PCGS, NGC/NCS, ANACS, PCI, ICG or SEGS certification services or from a reputable coin dealers/sellers who will stand behind the item's authenticity and offer a no quibble refund over authenticity without time limit.

Thanks for sharing these images.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Why any buyer would buy silver American coins from China is beyond me. All these people do is sell fake junk. As a collector of American Eagles, I would never buy these on eBay. I want to hold, touch, and Inspect my coins before I pay. I buy from a coin dealer, not from some smuck sitting in front of a screen somewhere overseas. Buy American, because it matters. Good Luck to you.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

thanks for your input on this.

this is what this board is about.  Helping others who want to know more about coins, or discuss what they do know.

I recently sold a '89 CC.  I did not see this subject on the board at the time, I would have posted a pic of it for discussion.  anyways, whenever I need clarification I go to Vamworld to line up my variety to make sure it is legit.   Which is what I should be doing right now, duh got distracted by my selling page and then had to go ding around for awhile...I have a pile of Morgans to check out...it may be a time  waster but ya know, the treasure hunting is always an unchartered adventure that I cannot see past...

happy trails.....Lori

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I bought a fake 1889CC that was in a fake PCGS holder graded AU 50.  I had no reason to doubt the authenticity of the coin until I submitted a different coin from the same seller for grading and it came back as not authentic.  I then had my local dealer send the 1889CC to PCGS for regrading (still in the holder) and it came back as not authentic.  At that point I cracked the coin out of the holder and weighed it at 26.96 grams a bit too heavy.  By the time I found all of this info out the seller had been booted from Ebay.  He operates out of Macomb County Michigan.  Should have pursued this legally but I had doubts as to the sellers financial means to make restitution.  This coin was not purchased on Ebay however I did buy 2 bogus Lincoln cents from the same seller on Ebay.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply