cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

Message 1 of 11,869
latest reply
11,868 REPLIES 11,868

Re: --THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

I need help. I have a 1901 morgan. VF condition. How's the value?
Message 11656 of 11,869
latest reply

Is it true that a 2003 penny is worth over 13,000
Message 11657 of 11,869
latest reply

@gairoberso0 wrote:
I need help. I have a 1901 morgan. VF condition. How's the value?

assuming it's a no-problem coin, $25-50 range...

Message 11658 of 11,869
latest reply

it's a fact that one sold for that much... apparently at least two bidders thought it was worth that much...

is it truly *worth* that much? not IMO...

the short story: around 2006 a PCGS graded MS70 2003 cent went for over $13k on Teletrade...

Message 11659 of 11,869
latest reply

Holas to fellow chatting board folks.  Since Heron began chatting on the original

Coin Chat Board in January 1999 plus having mucho fun on this most recent version

of coin chatting, there have been many discussions about folks buying coins or bullion. 

Actually we have discussed the fact that many folks buy gold coins & coin bullion not

knowing what they are buying.  And not knowing the true value of said items.

Heron is going to report some informacion that he believes to be of interest.

If anyone disagrees, please contact the authors of this article to register any

complaints.  Heron merely passes along the info. 

Perhaps some of youse AARP members have already seen this article.  Perhaps

not?

Article in the AARP Magazine August - Sept 2016 issue.

Article entitled 'All That Glitters...........' ,writ by Doug Shadel & Joe Eaton.

This article reports about a woman that saw one a those cable TV ads for gold

bullion.  When she contacted that advertiser she was sold on buying 'collector'

gold coins.  However, she actually paid $600 more than actual market value

for each of said coins.  She purchased 14 $20 Dollar USofAmerigo coins.

So, she is out of pocket for $600 X 14.  She did not know anything about gold

coins. 

Should she have researched?  Of course.  However, one way to learn, and fast,

is to lose $8400 on one transaction. 

And we continue onward trying to splain to folks about researching FIRST and

then buy. 

Apparently we are LOSING this war against ignorance. 

Makes one wonder what is being taught in schools nowadays.

Especially when high school chirren do NOT know where the name of the USA

originated.  Amazing!

Regardos. 

Message 11660 of 11,869
latest reply

Hola Rottn: your post of 19 Octember 2011 - 2130: Some of us did manage

to find this chatting place after the original coin chat board was exterminated!

Hope you are having fun with coin collecting.  Heron.

xx

Message 11661 of 11,869
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

Holas to fellow chatting board folks.  Since Heron began chatting on the original

Coin Chat Board in January 1999 plus having mucho fun on this most recent version

of coin chatting, there have been many discussions about folks buying coins or bullion. 

Actually we have discussed the fact that many folks buy gold coins & coin bullion not

knowing what they are buying.  And not knowing the true value of said items.

Heron is going to report some informacion that he believes to be of interest.

If anyone disagrees, please contact the authors of this article to register any

complaints.  Heron merely passes along the info. 

Perhaps some of youse AARP members have already seen this article.  Perhaps

not?

Article in the AARP Magazine August - Sept 2016 issue.

Article entitled 'All That Glitters...........' ,writ by Doug Shadel & Joe Eaton.

yep... good article...

Message 11662 of 11,869
latest reply

Holas coin & paper money collecting amigos!  Another newspaper article of interest

but perhaps mostly of interest to Navy personnel:

Wall Street Journal 30 Septiembre 2016 Page A-2:

Headline "NAVY TO DROP ENLISTED SAILOR JOB TITLES".

Heron feels that this is taking Political Correctness a bit too far.  The Navy has traditions!

Apparently the PC folks believed there were too many job titles that ended in 'man'. 

[Radarman, Sonarman, Engineman, etc etc].

el Heron cannot imagine a Navy without Bosun's Mates! 

This is really regusting [Opinion].

[The Radioman title was eliminated in the mid 1990s along with communications via

Morse Code]

Dos Exquis..

Message 11663 of 11,869
latest reply

I NEED SOME HELP WITH THIS NEVER BEFORE SEEN ERROR IF POSSIBLE I NEED THE VALUE AND WHAT I SHOULD DO WITH THIS  IT IS A 1990 D BUT THE D IS OVER (LOOKS LIKE ITS OVER A S AND THEN ANOTHER D) 

Message 11664 of 11,869
latest reply

not an error... not an OMM... damage...

Message 11665 of 11,869
latest reply

I recently listed a 1914D cent that was removed because of a complaint that it was actually an altered 1944D.  That I completely understand and had no idea it was such an item.  I then listed it as what it was, a 1944D cent that was altered by having part of the 4 scratched off.  This was clear in the title and bold in the description.  Now my account is restricted and it was removed???  I clearly listed it for what it was.  I have listed many coins that have dates worn off or love tokens made from dimes with an entire side of the coin ground off and those are ok???

Message 11666 of 11,869
latest reply

22 Dec 2016 - 0950hrs:  Yes, you got that correcto!  elHeron-grande started on the original Coin Chat Board January 1999.  Part of his ID was the woid Heron.  The Heron is a large wading bird, standing about 6 feet tall.  In addition to fish, they eat small mammals, snakes, birds, rats, mice, muskrats, salamanders, lizardos, and just about anything they wanna.

elHeron Grande watched a Great Blue Heron stand next to a ground squirrel burrow at the Surf City Central Park.  The bird waited.  He had mucho patience.  And then a young ground squirrel poked his head outta the burrow and the rest is history. 

The Heron swallowed that ground squirrel whole.  Then flew off apparently happy as a lark [which is a much smaller boid]...!

el Heron Grande cannot say for sure but most chat board 'references' were in connection with Heron Grande.  Such is life in cyberspace, ey? 

Regardos Muchos. 

Message 11667 of 11,869
latest reply

22 Dec 2016 1010hrs:  Holas fellow coin collectors!  About the 1st week of October 2016 Heron reported the news about the USN eliminating enlisted 'job titles'.  This was an issue created by a civilian appointee to the Navy Departamento.

The GOOD NEWS is in this article of the Wall Street Journal 22 Dec 2016 PAGE A7.

Headline:  "Navy Restores Traditional Job Titles".  Article by Ben Kesling & G. Lubold.

Summary:  There was such an large negative response to the 'change' that the Navy Department back-tracked. 

One Navy Vet was energetic in this move to restore job titles. He collected more than 100,000 online signatures to restore the system.  Hooray for him!

Although Heron was in the USCoastal Guards, he can now restore his Radioman First Class stripes to the bulletin board in office.  And now view those neat 4 'lightning bolts' representing electrical transmissions of Radio!  Yeehaw! 

We shall see how long this restoration will remain!  Maybe with a new administration we can remain traditional for a few more years?  Quizas? Quien Sabe?

Regardos.

Message 11668 of 11,869
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

Although Heron was in the USCoastal Guards, he can now restore his Radioman First Class stripes to the bulletin board in office.

el Guardians de la Coast never pulled the boneheaded lets-remove-the-ratings-so-we-can-be-more-like-dogfaces-and-grunts move...

i never once thought about modifying my shadow box by removing indications of rate...

MVC-864F

Message 11669 of 11,869
latest reply

I Say Hi to All 

And if a Gal can ,May I pop a cap also ! That was when I was lurking not posting.

The rest of the time I have Been learning from Him and all of the rest of you.Hope to start selling at the 1st of the year..

Infact I'm pop 2 something ain't right

Lindy

Message 11670 of 11,869
latest reply