cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

Message 1 of 11,869
latest reply
11,868 REPLIES 11,868

Re: --THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

my submission was marked received today... i should have it back around the 1st of next month... but, i'm having them attribute the 1805 quarter so i'll know which variety it is, and that's another 5 days... dunno if they'll hold the other two until that one is done or not...

Message 11641 of 11,869
latest reply

cool... status changed to Scheduled for Grading...

Message 11642 of 11,869
latest reply

@*smedley* wrote:

it can be tough waiting for that box of goodies to come back from NGC, sometimes I peek and call to get more info.

You probably know this but once you find out that they are graded (or to find out if they are) they may tell you how they panned out.  Or of course you can check by using the invoice number and adding a dash and 001, 002, etc

hoping for the best for you (cheesy smily face)

Message 11643 of 11,869
latest reply

@jesusrocks3339 wrote:

@*smedley* wrote:

it can be tough waiting for that box of goodies to come back from NGC, sometimes I peek and call to get more info.

You probably know this but once you find out that they are graded (or to find out if they are) they may tell you how they panned out.  Or of course you can check by using the invoice number and adding a dash and 001, 002, etc

hoping for the best for you (cheesy smily face)

thanks... t'ain't my first rodeo...

you can also use their online Order Status tool to check... easier and quicker than calling or using the cert checker...

Message 11644 of 11,869
latest reply

From time to time, some of the coin chatting board folks will chat about the 'dated'

coins of Europa.

On 26 Julio 2016 Heron stumbled across an internet site that is quite interesting.

Early Dated Coins of Europe [online adaptation of the Frey Catalog].

Here is some info [not verified or confirmed by el Heron]:

Earliest dated coins of Europe:

1234 - Roskilde.

1372 - Schoonvorst.

1372 - Aachen.

1424 - Switzer.

1437 - Groningen.

1456 - Austria.

1480 - Forli [Italiano].

1499 - Hungary.

1504 - Glogau Poland.

1525 - Bohemia.

1548 - English Shilling of Eduardo VI - dated thusly = MDXLVIII.

Heron has not seen pics of any of these coins.

There was a comentario on the 'site' that the English very quickly ended the use of Roman Numerals on coins.

Another comentario: The dates on some of the coins were in numerals that we of the 21st Century would not

recognize.  Old German Gothic numeral designs and some in modified Arabic numerals.

Howsever, the title of subject is 'early dated coins of Europe' and is thus.

Regardos.

Message 11645 of 11,869
latest reply

@*smedley* wrote:

bought a mixed lot of US silver for one coin...

one of the remainder, which i was planning to resell, appears to be a Fair-2 01-S quarter...

it's going to NGC...

update just posted...

it's authentic... Fair-2...

Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

Message 11646 of 11,869
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

From time to time, some of the coin chatting board folks will chat about the 'dated'

coins of Europa.

On 26 Julio 2016 Heron stumbled across an internet site that is quite interesting.

Early Dated Coins of Europe [online adaptation of the Frey Catalog].

Here is some info [not verified or confirmed by el Heron]:

Earliest dated coins of Europe:

1234 - Roskilde.

1372 - Schoonvorst.

1372 - Aachen.

1424 - Switzer.

1437 - Groningen.

1456 - Austria.

1480 - Forli [Italiano].

1499 - Hungary.

1504 - Glogau Poland.

1525 - Bohemia.

1548 - English Shilling of Eduardo VI - dated thusly = MDXLVIII.

Heron has not seen pics of any of these coins.

There was a comentario on the 'site' that the English very quickly ended the use of Roman Numerals on coins.

Another comentario: The dates on some of the coins were in numerals that we of the 21st Century would not

recognize.  Old German Gothic numeral designs and some in modified Arabic numerals.

Howsever, the title of subject is 'early dated coins of Europe' and is thus.

Regardos.

I was not aware of dated coins from Europe earlier than 15th century.  Thanks for the list!

Because the Low Countries (Groningen for example) were early adopters, and I collect Brabant, I have a few from before 1500.  I think my earliest is 1476.  Maybe I have a photo somewhere.

Message 11647 of 11,869
latest reply

Hola TDZ - your post of 1 Agosto 2016 1644 hrs:  Yes, it would be very interesting to see

a coin dated 1476.   Absolutamente!  

Heron was pleased to find that 'list' sorda accidental.  Some of those coins will be put on

Heron's 'want lists'.  Especially Schoonvorst...!  Acquiring one just for the 'name' alone would

be a big treat. ha!   The Roskilde is of Danemark and would also be a Europa Central coin.

It appears that the more we 'learn' the more fun we have with this coin hobby! 

Heron is having mucho fun!  

Regardos.

Message 11648 of 11,869
latest reply

Holas coin collecting Amigos:  There have been many comentarios on the coin chatting

board regarding counterfeit coins. 

And now, a PAGE ONE headline & article in the 8 Agosto 2016 issue of Wall Streak

Journal.  Article on Page A-1 and writ by Stephanie Yang:

Headline "Fool's Gold: Counterfeits Abound".

In addition to the written article there is a pic of a South African gold coin with 2 comentarios

on how to detect the fake coin.

However, the comment that interested elHeron was that the counterfeiters are now using

TITANIUM to make up for 'lost weight' when using other 'pot-metals' in the manufacturing

of the counterfeit gold coins. 

Apparently Titanium is very close to the weight of gold.  Heron cannot say because he is

an electrico-mechanical guy and not a metals guy. 

However, apparently the long used method of weights will no longer be a good method

of detecting counterfeit gold coins.  Titanium was the answer!

The article also mentioned that the counterfeiters are becoming very good at 'die making'.

In addition, the article also mentioned that many unsuspecting buyers, especially at 'flea-

markets' in the USofA are being fleeced. 

Perhaps it is 'time' for us to resurrect our various 'plans' for educating the folks in the USA

regarding counterfeits.  Another chanza to joust with windmills, quizas? Quien Sabe?

Don Coyote!  

Message 11649 of 11,869
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

Holas coin collecting Amigos:  There have been many comentarios on the coin chatting

board regarding counterfeit coins. 

And now, a PAGE ONE headline & article in the 8 Agosto 2016 issue of Wall Streak

Journal.  Article on Page A-1 and writ by Stephanie Yang:

Headline "Fool's Gold: Counterfeits Abound".

In addition to the written article there is a pic of a South African gold coin with 2 comentarios

on how to detect the fake coin.

However, the comment that interested elHeron was that the counterfeiters are now using

TITANIUM to make up for 'lost weight' when using other 'pot-metals' in the manufacturing

of the counterfeit gold coins. 

Apparently Titanium is very close to the weight of gold.  Heron cannot say because he is

an electrico-mechanical guy and not a metals guy. 

That sounded strange to me, and indeed, the density of titanium is only 4.43 g/cm3, compared to over 19 for gold.

We had a guy with metallurgy knowledge who used to post here, if I recall correctly .... Maybe he could shed some light.

Message 11650 of 11,869
latest reply

I pulled up the article.  It's tungsten they are using in counterfeits.

Message 11651 of 11,869
latest reply

Hola TDZ - thank you for correcting Heron's error.  Mrs Heron has this afternoon made an

appertment at the Eye Doc for old Heron.  Yes, it is tungsten, although Heron thought that

was a city in China where certain items mentioned in article are minted...!

Ah yes, remember that these are the Golden Years.  A term thought up by a 20 year old

marketing 'intern' on summer internship.  nyuk!

Regardos.

And remember Don Coyote! 

Message 11652 of 11,869
latest reply

*tap* *tap* *tap* 

is this thing on?

4 days and no posts...

Message 11653 of 11,869
latest reply

Yes, el Heron is still alive!   Agosto has been busy for el Heron.  Starting off with

purchasing a new set of eye glasses! 

Also searching for and acquiring some items that will be reported on this now not

so very lively chattingboard..

xx

Message 11654 of 11,869
latest reply

Holas to coin collectors!  This informacion is world coin info.  In particular it is

info re Danemark Roskilde coinage.

We had discovered that perhaps the oldest 'dated' coin of Europa was a Roskilde coin

dated 1234.

Well, this morning [25 Agosto] as Heron was researching several Euro Zentral coins he ran across

some info regarding the Roskilde Penning of 1234.

The info was that this IS the earliest dated coin of Europa.

In VF it was valued at Euros 33,500.  In Danish Kroner it was 250,000.

Heron will most likely NOT acquire this particular coin.  For Euro 33,500 Heron can buy

enough HRE coins to perhaps reach 500 different Euro Zentral! 

Info source: BruunRasmussen.

Heron found this info by punching in to Googly "Coins Roskilde". 

Coin collecting continues to be the best of all hobbies.  Opinion.

XX

Message 11655 of 11,869
latest reply