cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

Message 1 of 11,869
latest reply
11,868 REPLIES 11,868

Re: --THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

1952 was a very good year for me. I was born. In 1967 I started my search for a silver USA Washington 25-cent piece in VG+ grade. After all these years of searching I may have found one. Oh, the joy!

Message 11536 of 11,869
latest reply

"Post what is on your mind"... The theme of the New Coin Chat Room.

Here is some numismaticks info that Heron found by accidente.  Some of the best

discoveries are by accident, at times, perhaps?.

Heron 'found' a web site about history of middle ages coins and also etymology of coin

names [currency/denominations].  Always of interest to Heron and possibly others,

especially collectors of HRE coins.

A note: some of the middle ages coin experts will most likely already know a lot or

all of this info. 

The following was borrowed from wiki/munzen_des_mittelalters:

Another note: Heron used the computer translation 'service' rather than

translating all of this hisself.  So, there will be some phrases that appear

rather strange to the English speakers amongst us.

"European Coins of the Middle Ages"...excerpts:

"From late antiquity through to the early Middle Ages the circulation of

went coins in Europe back strong."

[Heron: On to Etymology which is Heron's interest here]

HELLER: "The Heller was coined in 1200 in Schwabisch Hall, which

derives its name".  [In the beginning this coin was also known as the Haller].

CRUISER: "The Cruiser had its name from the double cross on the front.

It was abolished in the currency changeover 1873".

[Heron: of course this refers to the currency Kruezer...!]

SCHILLING: "The origin of the word Schilling is not released safely.

It is also conceivable deriviation is from a Germanic Skildulingaz, which

would mean "shield-like thing'' or "sign-ling"."

"LUMP": For the first time in 1492 and subsequently to 1850 in Bern marked.

Was named after valerius anshelm the heraldic animal of the canton, the

bear or batz which was printed on the reverse of coin. The origin of the term

is not secured.  The value of a Bernese Batzens [their spelling, not Heron's]

corresponded to four cruisers."

....."Value information can be finally no, since the production of the coins of

precious metal content fluctuated, ie, in practice over time decreased. The owner

of the local RIGHT TO MINT COINAGE [Their caps - not Heron's]... melted

especially a foreign quality coins to mint their own coins from reduced fineness".

[Ha! Heron's comentario]

"The difference between the known up to that time silver or gold content to the

new lower value could reap as winning the Munzenrechtsinhaber."  [Note: the

translation 'service' did not translate Munzenrechtsinhaber.  Heron translates

this compound noun as being 'owner of coinage rights'.  It could have another

'meaning' such as 'winning the lottery'! ??

All collectors and folks interested in coins & coin terminology are invited to comment.

Also those with various views on the subject.  Heron thought that this information

might be helpful or interesting to some collectors. Quien sabe? [who knows?]   Regardus,

xx

-

Message 11537 of 11,869
latest reply

"Post what is on your mind" - The Theme of the new coin chat room 'Topic'.

FRACTIONS OF A THALER [revised in the spelling changes of 1902 to Taler].

[However, Thaler persists and is accepted as ok].

Somewhere on the Coin & Paper Money chatting board we discussed fractions of a Thaler.

Heron cannot remember which Topic or when.

However, Heron recently acquired a neat coin with a Thaler fraction rating of 1/72 of a Thaler.

This coin is a Schliesen-Wurttemburg-Oels Kruezer [1/72 of a Thaler] Silver dated 1682.

This coin is round [mostly round having most likely been hand 'hammered'] at 15mm X 15.5mm.

On Obverse is portrait of Duke Christain Ulrich I.

On Reverse is eagle in wreath 'arms' design with a crown above eagle.

Date is separated by 'crown' = 16 'crown' 82.

This 1/72 Kreuzer of Silver is a 'new' denomination/currency added to the always growing

accumulation of HRE items.  This is a never ending search.  And the hunt continues!

A fun hobby and for a lifetime, perhaps?  Regardus,

xx

Message 11538 of 11,869
latest reply

Add to 1/72 Thaler info - Info sources, Numista, Wikitpedia/Thaler, and munzenauktiondeutschland.

Message 11539 of 11,869
latest reply

Year in Review  on Coins .....compared to 2013 ?

Message 11540 of 11,869
latest reply

For me 2014 was a banner year. Knocked 7 coins off my want list, attended my first ever FUN Convention and the Mid-Winter ANA Convention was in Atlanta only 24 miles from home.

Tom

Photobucket

Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s

----------

Message 11541 of 11,869
latest reply

@dove3ducks wrote:

Year in Review  on Coins .....compared to 2013 ?

Well, I'm probably a lot less sophisticated than other collectors out here, but I had a very fun year.

- On "longstanding collection areas" I added two (one via Ebay ... in itself surprising).

- On my birthyear collection, I added 30, all via Ebay.  That's a collection that started in 2013 with a smaller number.  Cheap gratification  Smiley Happy.

- My Ebay sales were 30% lower than in 2013, but the dollar amount is minor, since I've been selling off a fairly small collection of mostly unexciting stuff

- I started a new collection area, which has the potential to cause serious financial damage.

Probably that last one will get a few giggles from anyone who's actually reading this thread.

Message 11542 of 11,869
latest reply

interesting Coin ,often thought about buying one .

Message 11543 of 11,869
latest reply

The year 2014 was a 'banner' year for Heron.  Mostly because 29 new 'issuing authorities'

were added to the 'birthyear' collection.  Also about 5 nice 1936 coin 'upgrades' were added. 

This compares to 20 'birthyear' coins acquired in 2013, although in 2013 Heron started in

Sept after TDZ posted his question regarding collecting 'birthyear' items.

[Heron already owned 20 'different 1936 issues acquired April 1946 to Sept 2013]...

As for other stuff - addition of new issuing authorities to the HRE collection was near equal

for 2014 & 2013. Both years were very good years for HRE items!

As for Ching Dynasty provincial issues & different mint marks, 2013 was far better than

2014.   In 2013 Heron added 6 'new' Ching Dynasty issues and only 2 were added in 2014.

This can be explained by stating that we are down to less than 8 'wanted' Ching Dynasty

items.  Near the end of a collecting segment the 'finds' get tougher!

However, el Heron is very pleased with 2014.  A great year for numismaticks!

Regards,

xx

Message 11544 of 11,869
latest reply

Thanks for the comment on my Tribute Penny. I bought it at Kagin's 1977 ANA sale right here in Atlanta.

Tom

Photobucket

Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s

----------

Message 11545 of 11,869
latest reply

Hola TDZ your post of 8 Jan 2015 1745:  Your comentario "I started a new collection area,

which has the potential to cause serious financial damage".  Yes, Heron DID get a chuckle

outta that comentario.  One way to counter serious financial damage is to develop an 'iron will'

regarding acquisitions.  This is not always an easy thing to do, especially when encountering

neat items in the market place.  Good luck!  Regards,

xx

Message 11546 of 11,869
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

Hola TDZ your post of 8 Jan 2015 1745:  Your comentario "I started a new collection area,

which has the potential to cause serious financial damage".  Yes, Heron DID get a chuckle

outta that comentario.  One way to counter serious financial damage is to develop an 'iron will'

regarding acquisitions.  This is not always an easy thing to do, especially when encountering

neat items in the market place.  Good luck!  Regards,

xx

Obviously I have been doing some research on that new area while populating another thread Smiley Happy

Now the question is how to compile the list.  Unfortunately I have already done a bit of "ready, fire, aim."  So, now I will try to sharpen my sights!  Which, indeed will take some discipline.  As we have seen in the other thread, just for an image of St. Peter, one needs to decide which depiction, which country, which era ... and whether it is preferred to have him alone, or (as is possible with some Papal States coins) in combination with Paul.  Of course, one could leave it somewhat to serendipity, and when a "neat" example comes up, just go for it.

Message 11547 of 11,869
latest reply

Hola TDZ: your post 10 Jan 2015 0856:  Yes, a well thought out disciplined 'want list' is

a good thing.  Then whilst searching for items sometimes 'serendipity' supercedes the

well disciplined 'want list'... and voila! You find yourself the owner of something neat but

not on the 'want list'.  This happens to Heron often.  All of this merely contributes to

the overall fun of coin collecting.  Good luck!  Regards,

xx

Message 11548 of 11,869
latest reply

Wish I could go to one of the major shows, but my right leg says not yet.  It was weakened by a TIA and a brain hemorrhage.  I thought someone would let me  go with them and drop me off at the entrance to the Baltimore Show but guess not.  Just been going threw some of my old collection and old memories.  Maybe I'll go to the Vienna Show the weekend of Jan 24 - 26.  I know I can't spend much since I owe several thousand to medical providers.   Sometimes life just bites you in the butt don't you know. 

Message 11549 of 11,869
latest reply

Laddie sorry to hear that. Hope you feel get better. Take it easy. Try and go in a few months. get healthier stronger first.

The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.

Message 11550 of 11,869
latest reply