cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

Message 1 of 11,869
latest reply
11,868 REPLIES 11,868

Re: --THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

@*smedley* wrote:

hmm... i ran across a seller who supposedly has doing coins since the 70's and doesn't seem to know anything about numismatics... especially terminology...

Do tell.

Message 11446 of 11,869
latest reply

VERY GOOD - A condition generally termed VF or better in the U.S.

With regard to American Third Party Grading outfits, it appears Sr. Carlos Gaylan may have been 40 years "ahead of his time".  Man Wink

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 11447 of 11,869
latest reply

Hola Ted200: Your post 9 Julio 2014 1221:  Yes, that is a good perception for sure.  Sr. Gaytan

liked to call it like it was, so to speak.  Sr. Gaytan made 'grading' fairly easy, for those days.

We learned to grade 'loathsome' notes fairly easily.  Always a fun hobby is this one!  Regards,

xx

Message 11448 of 11,869
latest reply

Your post 8 Julio 2014 1559:  It would seem that a person selling numismaticks items

since the 1970s would, at the least, know most of the hobby terminology.  On the other

hand, some folks never probe into the hobby language.  And Heron is still amused at

the seller of that Bocholt coin that told Heron he had never heard a the place!  Ah well.

Regards,

xx

Message 11449 of 11,869
latest reply

@indian_jeff wrote:

@*smedley* wrote:

hmm... i ran across a seller who supposedly has doing coins since the 70's and doesn't seem to know anything about numismatics... especially terminology...

Do tell.

They're more than a g less than an lb.

And sometimes bite the heads off bats.

Message 11450 of 11,869
latest reply

Apparently I need more coffee.

Message 11451 of 11,869
latest reply

bats, trolls and goblins oh my!

maybe I am way off too...but that's ok.

Message 11452 of 11,869
latest reply

Plus Octember is still 3 months hence!

Message 11453 of 11,869
latest reply

elheron ,

that's a grading scale I understand and I'm Blond .It does work though.

jesusrocks ,I think it was written jerky trolls the OP wrote.this was a good one Lori.

Roaring

Lindy

Message 11454 of 11,869
latest reply

This board was dedicated to the following:

"Post whatever is on your mind".

"There is no official topic here".

Friends of the world of numismaticks and economics, and associated interests.  From time to

time there are various comments on varioius 'threads' regarding economics, investing, and

finance.  Here is something that could be of interest to those folks somewhat concerned about

certain other lands taking over the USofA economy:

Article Title:  "A Win-Win Possibility for China-USA Trade".

Heron will pass along only a small portion of this article;

"China's total stock of foreign direct investment in the U.S. grew from virtually zero in 2000

to roughly $17 Billion in 2012, with $4 Billion flowing from China to the U.S. in 2012 alone.

Yet China still accounts for less than 1% of total foreign direct investment in the U.S.

There is clearly tremendous potential for further investment growth with benefits for job

creation and the U.S. economy."

Now for another interesting bit of info:  Same article as above;

"American firms have established a significant presence in China.  In 2012, the total stock

of U.S. foreign direct investment in China stood at about $70 Billion".

INFO SOURCE: Wall Street Journal 1 July 2014 A11.  Authors Charlene Barshefsky

and Long Yongtu.

[A few more Billions of Bucks and we will be talkin real money! Heron editorial comment]

- - - - - - - - - - - -

HOLA LINDY - Yes, Sr. Gaytan's scale of grading paper money was a super good one!

xx

Message 11455 of 11,869
latest reply

A question for collectors of 'ancient' coins. 
Does anyone have a coin known as Sestertius Judea Capta?

Heron is curious because this coin depicts a neat palm tree.  Some of the coin folks

collect coins with palm trees onnem.   Heron suspects that this Sestertius Vespasian

71 AD is probably a tad bit expensive for a 'palm tree' collection!   This coin is one of many

depicted in an advertisement. 

Info Source: Numismatist November 2007. 

Message 11456 of 11,869
latest reply

Decent examples (either silver denarius or bronze sestertius) are going to be $1000 coins:

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?search=judaea+capta+and+palm+tree&s=1&results=100

If you hunt around you might find a decent example for $500 or less.  The only ones I've handled were part of a museum collection

"climate is what we expect weather is what we get"
M. Twain

Message 11457 of 11,869
latest reply

Hola Gac- many thanks for the response.  It appears that the Judea Capta palm tree coin

just might be outta range.  However, the pricing information is appreciated.  It IS a

truly nicely designed palm tree!  

Another question regarding 'ancient coins':  Are the Romans first to use Mint Marks?  Heron

knew a collector about 16 or 17 years pasado that collected Roman coins by Mint Marks.

However, that guy passed over the great divide before Heron could ask him a bunch of

questions.  Heron believes 'ancient coins' to be extremely interesting although Heron never

collected these items.  A few for examples but not a collection, per se.  The Romans must

have had a large amount of 'mint' locations?  Regards,

xx

Message 11458 of 11,869
latest reply

Are the Romans the first to use mint marks?

You have a remarkable capability for asking what seem to be simple questions which are much more complicated than they seem.

Starting in about the third century, the Roman Empire did maintain a large number of mints. which they marked on their coins with a standardized system of identifying the city in exurge on the reverse, often followed with a symbol or two to represent the actual workshop within the city where the coins were made.

Here's some links for you to peruse on the subject of the later Roman mints:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Mint%20Marks

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/officina.html

http://www.bitsofhistory.com/info/mints.html

http://esty.ancients.info/RomeOfficina/Officina.html

But many earlier city states included their names on their coins, indicating where they were minted, and numerous greek or hellenistic coins had letters or symbols or monograms that are interpreted as mint or officina marks.

These would be an interesting topic for discussion. (Well, interesting to me.  My wife would rather discuss shoes.)

M. Twain

Message 11459 of 11,869
latest reply

I would credit Alexander the Great and his heirs with the first widespread use of mintmarks on similar coins. The tetradrachm with the head of Alexander/Hercules obverse and the seated Zeus holding an eagle reverse is the first widely minted coin that used a mint mark to denote where it was made:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/macedonia/kings/alexander_III/t.html

We still cannot interpret many of the marks associated with these coins.  But many we can, such as the rose associated with the mint at Rhodes.

M. Twain

Message 11460 of 11,869
latest reply