cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

Message 1 of 11,869
latest reply
11,868 REPLIES 11,868

Re: --THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Your post 26 June 2014 1959: A pretty good year! 1959!

As long as you are monitoring this network el Heron will pass along some info regarding ownership

of counterfeit coins.  In particular USA.  Heron talked with 2 long time dealer associates.  Each had

the same answer.  According to these two dealers, one that Heron has known for 25 years and the

other Heron has known since 1981, there apparently are no specific rules, regulations, or acts of congress

that prohibit ownership of the item[s].   The key word again is own.  [One a these coin dealers has

been a USA coin collector since 1958.  He also owned his own coin store for over 25 years, primarily

dealing USA coins. He has completed years of study & research regarding counterfeit coinage. He is

also a combat VN vet, for what it is worth.]  So, your statement on whatever thread it was, and Heron

cannot remember which one, was most likely correcto.  Apparently there is no known law against ownership.

This is probably why the folk that believe there is have not responded with source info re a law.  So, if

someone tries to take away our counterfeits, they will be in violation of the law that IS in effect.

As for the list, Heron would be glad to share it but not here due to bmoc and his anxiety. Heron

would offer to mail it to you.  Regards,

xx

Message 11431 of 11,869
latest reply

Hey Af,

Can you grab me another warm beer?

Message 11432 of 11,869
latest reply

around here it is always something!cat nikki.jpg

Message 11433 of 11,869
latest reply

mcd Hi ,

Let me say he will know tonight what you said about him.He has been helping me everyday until he can return to the board .

I was told how the coin board use to be and how the rest left because of just a few.

So let me say Bravo to him and to you for pointing that out.

Lindy's Roar

Message 11434 of 11,869
latest reply

@indian_jeff wrote:

Didn't this thread have a purpose at one time, too?

@impalajohnny wrote:

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 11435 of 11,869
latest reply

Very good points!  Heron particularly enjoys reading the line:

"Post whatever is on your mind.  There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started".

Perhaps we could say that this thread did have a 'purpose' at one time and the 'purpose' was

chatting about 'whatever is on your mind'?

[By the way, does anyone know if Impala Juan is ok?  Have not seen any posts from him lately]

Regards,

xx 

Message 11436 of 11,869
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

[By the way, does anyone know if Impala Juan is ok?  Have not seen any posts from him lately]

no clue, but i bet it has something to do with the bodega...

Message 11437 of 11,869
latest reply

Thanks. Good fortune upon him!  Regards,

xx

Message 11438 of 11,869
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

@indian_jeff wrote:

Didn't this thread have a purpose at one time, too?

@impalajohnny wrote:

I wasn't addressing anyone in particular. I was just pointing out that this thread had been idle for two days while other, more directed threads, were being used to post idle chatter not related to the topic of the thread.

Message 11439 of 11,869
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

Very good points!  Heron particularly enjoys reading the line:

"Post whatever is on your mind.  There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started".

Perhaps we could say that this thread did have a 'purpose' at one time and the 'purpose' was

chatting about 'whatever is on your mind'?

Regards,

xx 

Senor Conejo is A-OK, I've heard from him recently. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 11440 of 11,869
latest reply

Hola Ted200: Your post 30 June 2014 1015: Muchas Gracias Sr...!  Good to hear he is ok.

Regards,

xx

Message 11441 of 11,869
latest reply

Amy is a warm and wonderful human being, as far as I can tell.

She definitly is. I have no doubt in my mind:) Thanks.

The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.

Message 11442 of 11,869
latest reply

You're very welcome. Keep being you.

Message 11443 of 11,869
latest reply

hmm... i ran across a seller who supposedly has doing coins since the 70's and doesn't seem to know anything about numismatics... especially terminology...

Message 11444 of 11,869
latest reply

Holas Amigos and aficionados of World Paper Money!  The stated 'purpose' of this thread is

"Post whatever is on your mind".

"There is no official topic here".

"So let's get the chatting started".

Heron is going to post some information regarding 'grading standards' for Paper Money.  A topic

that was discussed on another thread.  Somewhere.  Recently.

The following information is to illustrate the difference in various 'standards' for grading world

paper money.  This particular 'standard' was written sometime around 1964. 

Another commentario:  These standards were translated from the Spanish, so do not be surprised

at the slightly different presentation.  One example:  The heading of this segment from the catalog

is titled "The Condition".  Most likely in USA English the segment would merely be titled "Condition".

However, be that as it may, some folks here might enjoy this information:

From Gaytan's Paper Currency of Mexico, 2nd Edition, Copyright 1973, Sr. Carlos Gaytan, author,

translated to the English by Sr. Gabriel Navarro:

THE CONDITION

It is quite logical to assume that the condition of a paper bill, a pressboard, or a paste board note

determines its particular price. No one is apt to pay the same price for a magnificent Louis XV

chair without a single scratch as he would for a similar chair with two legs broken, the seat missing,

and its back showing signs of repair.  The same thing is true of paper money.

In CRISP condition [H. uppa case as printed in the Gaytan catalog] its value twice, three times, four

times, or perhaps even 10 times as much as a similar specimen which has been repaired, scuffed,

or whose legends are hardly decipherable.  It is not mathematically possible to fix proportionately,

the difference in value by grades, between a CRISP bill and on that is in POOR condition. That

must be left, for the time being, to the good judgement of the beholder.  But I have no doubt that

soon the various price ranges will be established among bill collectors, and that is why it might be

well to attempt to define the various grades of preservation.

CRISP - What amounts to uncirculated condition, without a single fold. [One sentence expurgated].

VERY GOOD - A condition generally termed VF or better in the U.S.

GOOD - This bill would have no more than 1 fold, no stains and its colors would still be bright.

AVERAGE - This one may show 3 or 4 folds, some scuff marks, but the date, series and number

are easily distinguishable.  Might even have been repaired once.

[Heron's note here:  When Sr. Gaytan refers to 'number' he is referring to what Murrkins call

'serial number'.  The 'series' to which Sr. Gaytan refers is NOT a serial number.  It can be a letter,

or a number or combination thereof].

PRECARIOUS - Poor in the U.S.A.  This bill has been patched, folded, scuffed, and stained.

The date, serie, and number are still visible.

[Heron note here:  Many Mexican notes, particularly notes issued during the 1910 Revolution have

been 'patched' with brown, tan, or blue paper gummed 'tape'.  Or just with a piece of paper cut

to size and glued upon the 'bill'.  By the way, the use of 'bill' here is most likely a transliteration

from the Spanish Billete which means bill, banknote, treasury bill [2]. Could be? Quizas?]

BAD - About awful.  In this category we find bills, pasteboard issues and other notes which are

really loathsome to behold.  Some might show a piece missing, others their legends indiscernable.

None are considered worthy of fitting decently into any one's collection. Since there is nothing

better for the moment, they are accepted on a temporary basis in order to fill the gap until a

better specimen can be found.

[Heron: The dissertation of 'BAD' is one of the best Heron has ever seen regarding the lowest of

the low in paper money!  Sr. Gaytan told it like it was!]

COMMENT:  Some 50 years, mas o menos, after this 'standard' was writ by Sr. Gaytan, we now

live in a world of more standardization of 'standards'.  Even with the 'mathematical' grading now

included.  This type of standard devised by Sr. Gaytan was the beginning of Heron's education in

grading of paper money [1970].  Sr. Gaytan was a pioneer in writing paper money grading standards.

It is fun to re-visit his writings.  Many of the earlier catalog compilers had a good sense of humor.

This is a fun hobby and those early writers made it 'fun'.  How could we 'beat' 'loathsome to behold'?

Now, please comment on this paper money grading standard and we can have some good fun

discussion, perhaps?  Regards,

xx

Message 11445 of 11,869
latest reply