cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slabbed coins by INB

OK.  I know (now) that INB grades aren't reliable.  But, I took a flyer and bought a lot of 100 slabbed coins for $200 that are "graded" by INB. 

My real question is: 

Would it be better to:
  1. Keep them slabbed and tagged and sell them as INB graded?
  2. Keep them slabbed and remove the INB grading label (if possible without destroying the slab) and sell them as ungraded?
  3. or
  4. Remove them from the slabs and sell them as loose coins?

I haven't received them yet, so I don't know how hard it would be to remove the label or unslab them.
Also, I'm just getting started in this, and was unaware of INB's reputation when I bought them, but have learned a lot from this community discussion!
Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Slabbed coins by INB

I'd send them all back as soon as you get them. Otherwise, you can spend them.

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

And without seeing them, you base this on what?

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

on the fact that they are in INB slabs...

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

Which in some cases are selling for more than PCGS slabs of the same grade.  I know they are not reputable, just looking for an answer to the question I asked.

INB: 2000 S Roosevelt Dime DCAM
PCGS: 2000 S Roosevelt Dime DCAM

Thanks.

Message 5 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

*sigh*

INB slabs are basically less than worthless, as they command a negative premium...

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

I know it's easy to slam this company, but how about an answer to the question I asked?  From what I've received so far, break them open and sell them as loose coins.

You have a great reputation *smedley*, but the first response kind of set me off.

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

You're entirely welcome. 

By the way, I'm the senior numismatist at a very successful coin shop.

INB isn't a grading company. If the coins are in an INB slab, that means they're not worth slabbing. Period. You didn't mention what your coins are. My guess is that they're post 1964 US. 

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@summitartistry wrote:
Would it be better to:
  1. Keep them slabbed and tagged and sell them as INB graded?
  2. Keep them slabbed and remove the INB grading label (if possible without destroying the slab) and sell them as ungraded?
  3. or
  4. Remove them from the slabs and sell them as loose coins?

If you want to list them on eBay, any coin in an INB holder MUST be listed as ungraded ("raw").  With this comes a few restrictions, you can't mention the numeric grade, you can't put a price estimate, and you can't list any for $2,500 or higher.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/currstamps.html

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@summitartistry wrote:

I know it's easy to slam this company, but how about an answer to the question I asked?  From what I've received so far, break them open and sell them as loose coins.

You have a great reputation *smedley*, but the first response kind of set me off.

jeff isn't that gruff in his coin shop.

You can't go by the fact that he has (0) feedback or that I have (12).  These IDs are not the ones we use to buy or sell on eBay.

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@summitartistry wrote:

my answer is the same as Jeff's... do anything else with them and you'll either lose money or rip off somebody else...

there is no quick and easy to make money in coins... at least, if you want to be honest... INB and other bottom-feeders do nothing but rip off the ignorant...

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@n.s.sherlock wrote:

@summitartistry wrote:

jeff isn't that gruff in his coin shop.

You can't go by the fact that he has (0) feedback or that I have (12).  These IDs are not the ones we use to buy or sell on eBay.

No. I'm exactly this "gruff" in the coin shop. One of my co-workers suggested that we add "Dream Crusher" to our business cards because being the crusher of dreams is just part of the business.

It would be wrong to offer false hope. Stuff is what it is.

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@indian_jeff wrote:

No. I'm exactly this "gruff" in the coin shop. One of my co-workers suggested that we add "Dream Crusher" to our business cards because being the crusher of dreams is just part of the business.

It would be wrong to offer false hope. Stuff is what it is.

Nobody is that gruff. I bet you smile all the time 🙂 I have to be gruff in my work, it is like a requirement 🙂

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

No. I never smile. I make my customers smile, chuckle and laugh, though. Of course, that's only when I'm being serious.

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@indian_jeff wrote:

No. I never smile. I make my customers smile, chuckle and laugh, though. Of course, that's only when I'm being serious.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 48
latest reply