cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saints ' Images on Coins

I thought I would make this topic a bit more visible .... This previous thread morphed into a thread on finding images of Christian saints on coins:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Coins-Paper-Money/Question-of-Variety-Authenticity-for-Medieval-Italian...

For those with an interest in the designs of medieval and Renaissance era European coins, you may enjoy browsing through it.

In the spirit of some other threads, there is also a running list, which (after some rearrangement) looks like this, and the encouragement of readers to add to it!:

1.  Mary as Madonna - Hungary Ducats starting 16th c., Bavaria thalers 1770s, Nuremburg notgeld

Annunciation - Naples Charles II salute d'argento 15th c.

Mary is also shown "crowning" byzantine soverigns on some gold coins of the 11-12thc.

2.  Michael the Archangel - Brabant esterlin 1267-94, England Edward IV gold angel, Vatican City 50 c. 1929-41, Zeitz notgeld 

3.  John the Baptist -  Gold florins of Florence, France (Orange, Avignon), northern Germany 13-15th c.,  Testons of Florence.

4.  Mary Magdalen -  Papal States - Ancona teston 1582  

Apostles/Evangelists:

5.  St. Peter - Many papal states/Vatican City issues;  Brabant gros, 14th c.

6.  St. Andrew - Brunswick-Lunenburg thalers and fractions of 16th-17th c., Brabant florin Charles the Bold

7.  Ss. James & John -  Pesar mezzo paolo 1538-74

8.  St. Thomas - Portuguese India Joao III (1521-57) gold

9.  St. Mark - Venice grosso of 13-15th c. (and later Venice coins)

10. St. Matthew - Papal States piastre 1676

11. St. Paul - Munster 3 and 6 pfennig 1750s to 1770s; Papal States many issues including grosso of Benedict XIV (1740s) and Vatican City 20 centesimo of 1930s

Early Martyrs:

12. St. Stephen - Metz gros of 14-15thc and thalers of 17th, Halberstadt bracteates of 12-13th c. and thalers of 16-17th c.

13. St. George - (Antioch 1112-19; England/Gr Britain Noble Henry VIII, Crown, Sovereign 1817-; Bank of Canada token 1852, Ferrara grossone Ercole I 1471-1505; Mansfeld-Eisleben 1/3 Thaler 1671; Friedberg Thaler 1766

14. St. Alban - trade ducat, priory of St. Albans (Mains) 1712-1786

15. St. Antoninus - Borgotaro teston 1520s, Parma teston of 1622-46

16. St. Vitalis - Parma teston 1646-94

17. St. Ursus - Solothurn duplone 1797

18. St. Benigno - Abbey of Montanaro teston 1529-43

Others (many are medieval bishops who spread the faith, founded monateries, abbeys, founded religious orders ..)

19. St. Nicholas - Lorraine (Florin, 1608-24)

20. St. Killian - Wurzburg (Thaler 1685)

21. St. Patrick - Dublin tokens 1660s

22. St. Demetrius - Byzantine nomisma, 1080s

23. St. Theodore - Byzantine trachy, 1143-80

24. St. Martin - Lucca Scudo 1733, Bingen and Aschaffenburg notgeld

25. St. Ambrose - Milan Grosso 1395-1402

26. St. Vitus - Corvey 24 Mariengroschen 1753

27. St. Willibald - Eichstatt 5 Kreuzer 1750s

28. St. Romuald - Papl States

29. St. Stephan - Hungary 5 Pengo 1938

30. Ss Cyril & Methodius - Bulgaria 5 Leva, Slovakia 20 korun 1941

31. St. Maximinus - Trier notgeld issues 1920

32. St. Moritz - Magdeburg 1/24 Thaler 1607

33. St. Liborius - Paderborn Thaler 1620, 1786

34. St. Marinus - St. Marino 20 lire 1931-

35. St. Ludger - Werden & Helmstedt Thaler 1745; Werden notgeld

36. St. Hildegard - Kempten 1 & 2 kreuzer 1620s

37. St. Pope John XXIII - Cook Is. 2014

38. St. Pope John Paul II - Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Canada, Poland 2014

39. St. Gertrude - Wattenscheid notgeld

40. St. Gotthard - Gotha notgeld

41. St. Pancras - Iserlohn notgeld

42. St. Patroclus - Soest notgeld

Message 1 of 127
latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Saints ' Images on Coins

A few to end the year.  It wouldn't take unlimited funds to assemble a great saints "accumulation" but I am afraid the budget used for birthyear coins would not get me very far. 

St. Justina was a virgin who was martyred by a sword through the bosom according to Italian legend (different from Eastern legend which has her losing her head).  She is the patroness of both Padua whence she hailed, and nearby Venice.  Here is a 40 soldo of Venice (Sebastien Venier doge, 1577).

StJustina.jpg

Even more obscure, Saint Prosdocimus, first bishop of Padova, supposedly chosen by St. Peter.  On a medieval carrarino of Padua from mid-1300s.

StProdoscimo.jpg

Never to be outdone, the Bolognese also had an early bishop who was canonized, Saint Petronius (died 450 A.D.)  He restored Bologna's Christian churches after the barbarian invasions, and was honored by a vast  medieval basilica on the main square, which bears his name (Papal States - Bologna grossone late 1400s)

StPatronius.jpg

Message 16 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

Hola TDZ:  Nice items to 'end the year'.  On 4 Jan 2015 Heron's first coin of the year,

acquired locally from a Socal dealer,

is a Trier Silver 3 Pedermenger dated 1708 with GG mint master initials. GG was

Gerhardt Godt.  There is an image of St. Peter on Reverse.  Arms of Trier on Obverse.

Even though this coin was not a 'new issuing authority' added to the HRE accumulation,

el Heron could not pass up this item because it has a Saint, a great coat of arms design,

and the 'currency/denomination of 3 Pedermenger.  A new currency added to the always

growing accumulation of 'dimensions'. Ruler of Trier in 1708 was Johann Hugo von Orsbeck.

This Silver coin is somewhat 'out of round' and measures 24.5mm X 23.5mm. It was most

likely hammered by a mint worker that could also have been 'hammered'. 

Quien sabe? Who knows?  Regardus.

xx

Message 17 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

That sounds like a nice acquisition!

Trier is one of many places that claims St. Peter as their patron (some cities have multiple patrons .... medieval equivalent of hedging one's bets?).  It seems that many of the HRE "imperial cities" that had an archbishop as prince feature St. Peter on some of their coins (Mainz, Cologne, Frankfurt, etc)

Beyond the "count" of saints, there is also the variety of iconography for some of those saints, including St. Peter.  Since we have some posters who are interested in scripture, there are at least three versions of St. Peter one can find on coins, with iconography relating to three different scripture passages. 

First, we have a bald man (with a halo, of course!) holding keys.  Probably Peter is pictured as bald because it is known that he died around 64 A.D. when he would have been an old man.  The keys?  In Matthew 16:18 Peter is given the keys to the kingdon of heaven.  Trier is one of the places that shows St. Peter like this (florin of late 14th century showing Peter with keys in right hand, book in left)), but not surprisingly he is also shown holding keys in many Papal States coins

StPeterKeys.jpg

Matthew 4:18 is the passage in which St. Peter and St. Andrew, both fisherman, are recruiited by Jesus.  There are some early Papal States coins depicting St Peter as a fisherman, like this rare florin (Pope Adrian VI 1522-23) that just sold at Heritage for $12,500

StPeterFishing.jpg

Or, if you have a budget like mine, there is a nice, silver Vatican 5 lire coin issued between 1927 and 1941 with St. Peter as fisherman, that you can nab in high grade for under 20 bucks.

Last, there is Matthew 14:30 in which Peter tries to follow Jesus walking across the water and has to be saved.

StPeterDrowning.jpg 

So many coins, so little time (and money) Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

Hola TDZ: Many thanks for the response and information re 'saints' coins. In particular

the part about the 'key'.  This helps explain for Heron why there are several HRE issuing

authorities with a 'key' as part or all of the coat of arms.  Mostly issued by Bishoprics it

seems.  There are so many dimensions that it is mind boggling at times.

Yes, coins in the $12,500 range are not on Heron's 'want lists'.  Nice looking items but

mucho caro!   However, as you also point out, there are many coins available in the $20

to $50 range, mostly in Silver, that can be great 'finds' for those of us interested in this

dimension of HRE collecting.  Reading your 'saints' posts is a good education! Regardus,

xx

Message 19 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

A single incident, the massacre of the Theban legion, gave rise to a number of Christian patron saints who wound up on medieval coins of northern Italy and Switzerland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theban_Legion

elheron found St. Moritz (Maurice in French and Mauritius in Latin), who was the leader of this army.  St. Antoninus of Piaczenza was also added to the list previously, as was St. Ursus of Solothurn.

Most recently, I ran across St. Constantius, patron saint of Carmagnola in northwest Italy, and also reputedly an officer in this army:

StConstantius.jpg

Message 20 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

Hola TDZ - your post of 12 Jan 2015 1805: An outstanding 'find'!  In addition, the crowned

coat of arms is a magnificent rendition of a coat of arms.  Regardvs,

xx

Message 21 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

@elheron-grande wrote:

Hola TDZ - your post of 12 Jan 2015 1805: An outstanding 'find'!  In addition, the crowned

coat of arms is a magnificent rendition of a coat of arms.  Regardvs,

xx

I wish a few of these would "find" their way into my collection, but I think I need a ten year plan ... not like the 1 - 2 year plan of the birthyear collection.

Even with a somewhat vague plan I have acquired a nice St. Andrew, and St. Paul (both HRE issues no less!), a St. Peter in boat who will join the S. Peter with keys already in my collection.  I have bids on some others at the moment (outside of Ebay) ... I will focus on apostles and "early" martyrs for now.  That means there is more from HRE on the list:  St. Stephen, St. Moritz, etc.

So, as we speak of martyrs, I ran across yet ANOTHER group of martyrs from the famous Theban legion:  Felix, Regula, and Exuperantius, patron saints of Zurich.  This rather rare coin (1512 Thaler, sold for 10,000 CHF recently) will not be on my list 

StFelixetal.jpg

Message 22 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

Hola TDZ: Your post of 13 Jan 2015 1913: An absolutely beautiful Zuricher coin!  Not only for the

Saints 'theme' but for anyone that enjoys coats of arms.  The primary coat of arms at center is

outstanding plus all the smaller coats of arms in periphery.  Magnificent coin. Heron also would

enjoy owning this coin but at 10,000 Schwyzer Franken it isnt gonna happen. ha!

Heron researched a bit regarding the origination of the name Thuricensis.

Brief essplanacion courtesy of Wikitpedia Encylopedia:

Earliest known form of name is Turicum, attested on a tombstone of the late 2nd Century AD in

the form "STA[tio] TURICEN[sis] meaning "Turicem Tax Post".  Yes, difficult to escape taxes

anywhere at any time period. ha!

The 1512 coin also states CIVITAS IMPERIALIS.  This legend caused Heron to research

further into the history of Zurich:

1248 - Became Imperial Free City.

1351 - Joined the old Swiss Confederation.

1440 - Expelled from confederation due to starting wars with other members.

1450 - Re-admitted.

1648 - Departed HRE as member of 'new' Swiss Confederation.

History is super interesting and the coin you 'found' is a great example. 

In addition, the part of legend 'Mon Nov' is most likely 'new money'.  Heron is not certain

of this and we need that Latin Language esspert to chime in.

Yes, a dandy coin.  Too expensive for Heron though.  Fun to see it in your nice pic.

Regardvs,

xx

Message 23 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

A question for anyone out there who may have a world coin reference that goes back before 1500.

Here is a photo of the reverse of a teston from Gregory XIII (currently for sale on Ebay).  There were several different types of testons minted during his reign. 

TestonGregXIII.JPG

Posed with a cross, one might think this is a female saint, but she seems to lack a halo.  Sometimes allegorical figures are found on the reverse of Papal States testons, sometimes saints (most often Peter and Paul, though).  The reverse legend often has the saint's name in Latin (SANCTVS PETRVS, for example), but not always.

Ideas? 

Message 24 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

I believe the figure is a personification of Faith.  "Never Fail" is the google translation of the Latin.

"climate is what we expect weather is what we get"
M. Twain

Message 25 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

@gacooke wrote:

I believe the figure is a personification of Faith.  "Never Fail" is the google translation of the Latin.

Thanks.  Makes sense to have Faith posed with the cross on a Papal States coin.

Mistake in my earlier post about "before 1500" which should have read "before 1600" as Gregory XIII dates are 1572-1585 if I recall correctly.

Message 26 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

Hola TDZ and all other aficionados of 'Saints' coins.  Heron does not know if this will be a 'new'

addition for the list, however, here is some info gleaned from viewing the Swiss listings on eBay.

Searching for potential acquisitions ey?

Luzern 1 Schilling dated 1634.

Shows a 'saint' with the surrounding legend "Sanct Leodegariq".

This is also stated as Saint Leodegar at Wikit.

This is not a candidate as Heron already owns a Luzern item. However, could be of interest for

the list.  Regardvs,

xx

Message 27 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

@elheron-grande wrote:

Hola TDZ and all other aficionados of 'Saints' coins.  Heron does not know if this will be a 'new'

addition for the list, however, here is some info gleaned from viewing the Swiss listings on eBay.

Searching for potential acquisitions ey?

Luzern 1 Schilling dated 1634.

Shows a 'saint' with the surrounding legend "Sanct Leodegariq".

This is also stated as Saint Leodegar at Wikit.

This is not a candidate as Heron already owns a Luzern item. However, could be of interest for

the list.  Regardvs,

xx

Thanks, elheron.

I had thought perhaps this was the same as St. Ludger (previously noted by you on the coins of Werden & Helmstedt), but no, it turns out that Leodegar was a bishop of Autun in Burgundy , tortured once by having his eyes put out, and 4 years later executed (679 AD.)  I cannot find the connection from Autun to Luzerne, bu tapparently his relics have been distributed rather widely in central France. 

So, Switzerland seems to be moving up in the count here (St Ursus of Solothurn having been previously noted)!

Starting from the earlier post where we were at 45, we have added:

46. St. Justina - Venice 40 Soldi (1572-77).

47. St. Prosdocimo - Padua medieval grosso

48. St. Petronius  - Papal States/Bologna grossone late 1400s, and later Papal/Bologna issues.

49. St. Constantius - Carmagnola cornuto, mid 1500s

50-52. Ss. Felix, Regula and Exuperantius - Zurich 1512 Thaler

53.  St. Leodegar - Luzerne 1634 Schilling

Holy coins!

Message 28 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

Hola TDZ & all aficionados of Saints coins:

Whilst Heron was perusing the eBay listings for potential acquisitions he found the

following:

Salzburg - Thalers - Showing a Saint with legend Sanctus Rudbertvs.

One dated 1587 and the other dated 1635.  

Yes, the Saints keep marching in!  Regardvs,

xx

Message 29 of 127
latest reply

Saints ' Images on Coins

@elheron-grande wrote:

Hola TDZ & all aficionados of Saints coins:

Whilst Heron was perusing the eBay listings for potential acquisitions he found the

following:

Salzburg - Thalers - Showing a Saint with legend Sanctus Rudbertvs.

One dated 1587 and the other dated 1635.  

Yes, the Saints keep marching in!  Regardvs,

xx

elheron,

Shame on me!  We noticed this saint in the earlier thread, but I never added him to the list!  I've seen his name variously as Rupert, Ruprecht ... an early bishop of Salzburg.

Thanks!

Message 30 of 127
latest reply