cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saints ' Images on Coins

I thought I would make this topic a bit more visible .... This previous thread morphed into a thread on finding images of Christian saints on coins:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Coins-Paper-Money/Question-of-Variety-Authenticity-for-Medieval-Italian...

For those with an interest in the designs of medieval and Renaissance era European coins, you may enjoy browsing through it.

In the spirit of some other threads, there is also a running list, which (after some rearrangement) looks like this, and the encouragement of readers to add to it!:

1.  Mary as Madonna - Hungary Ducats starting 16th c., Bavaria thalers 1770s, Nuremburg notgeld

Annunciation - Naples Charles II salute d'argento 15th c.

Mary is also shown "crowning" byzantine soverigns on some gold coins of the 11-12thc.

2.  Michael the Archangel - Brabant esterlin 1267-94, England Edward IV gold angel, Vatican City 50 c. 1929-41, Zeitz notgeld 

3.  John the Baptist -  Gold florins of Florence, France (Orange, Avignon), northern Germany 13-15th c.,  Testons of Florence.

4.  Mary Magdalen -  Papal States - Ancona teston 1582  

Apostles/Evangelists:

5.  St. Peter - Many papal states/Vatican City issues;  Brabant gros, 14th c.

6.  St. Andrew - Brunswick-Lunenburg thalers and fractions of 16th-17th c., Brabant florin Charles the Bold

7.  Ss. James & John -  Pesar mezzo paolo 1538-74

8.  St. Thomas - Portuguese India Joao III (1521-57) gold

9.  St. Mark - Venice grosso of 13-15th c. (and later Venice coins)

10. St. Matthew - Papal States piastre 1676

11. St. Paul - Munster 3 and 6 pfennig 1750s to 1770s; Papal States many issues including grosso of Benedict XIV (1740s) and Vatican City 20 centesimo of 1930s

Early Martyrs:

12. St. Stephen - Metz gros of 14-15thc and thalers of 17th, Halberstadt bracteates of 12-13th c. and thalers of 16-17th c.

13. St. George - (Antioch 1112-19; England/Gr Britain Noble Henry VIII, Crown, Sovereign 1817-; Bank of Canada token 1852, Ferrara grossone Ercole I 1471-1505; Mansfeld-Eisleben 1/3 Thaler 1671; Friedberg Thaler 1766

14. St. Alban - trade ducat, priory of St. Albans (Mains) 1712-1786

15. St. Antoninus - Borgotaro teston 1520s, Parma teston of 1622-46

16. St. Vitalis - Parma teston 1646-94

17. St. Ursus - Solothurn duplone 1797

18. St. Benigno - Abbey of Montanaro teston 1529-43

Others (many are medieval bishops who spread the faith, founded monateries, abbeys, founded religious orders ..)

19. St. Nicholas - Lorraine (Florin, 1608-24)

20. St. Killian - Wurzburg (Thaler 1685)

21. St. Patrick - Dublin tokens 1660s

22. St. Demetrius - Byzantine nomisma, 1080s

23. St. Theodore - Byzantine trachy, 1143-80

24. St. Martin - Lucca Scudo 1733, Bingen and Aschaffenburg notgeld

25. St. Ambrose - Milan Grosso 1395-1402

26. St. Vitus - Corvey 24 Mariengroschen 1753

27. St. Willibald - Eichstatt 5 Kreuzer 1750s

28. St. Romuald - Papl States

29. St. Stephan - Hungary 5 Pengo 1938

30. Ss Cyril & Methodius - Bulgaria 5 Leva, Slovakia 20 korun 1941

31. St. Maximinus - Trier notgeld issues 1920

32. St. Moritz - Magdeburg 1/24 Thaler 1607

33. St. Liborius - Paderborn Thaler 1620, 1786

34. St. Marinus - St. Marino 20 lire 1931-

35. St. Ludger - Werden & Helmstedt Thaler 1745; Werden notgeld

36. St. Hildegard - Kempten 1 & 2 kreuzer 1620s

37. St. Pope John XXIII - Cook Is. 2014

38. St. Pope John Paul II - Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Canada, Poland 2014

39. St. Gertrude - Wattenscheid notgeld

40. St. Gotthard - Gotha notgeld

41. St. Pancras - Iserlohn notgeld

42. St. Patroclus - Soest notgeld

Message 1 of 127
latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Re: Saints ' Images on Coins

Hola TDZ: your post of 2 Octubre 2015 0645:  Nice pic of another neat Saint coin!

At first glance it appeared to be an older 'issue'.  Because of the beautiful rendition

of the Hapsburg coat of arms, prehaps?.  Nice 'find'!  And the Saints keep marching in.

Regardos.

Message 76 of 127
latest reply

Denar from Bohemia, early 12th century.  Obverse shows King Vladislav enthroned, holding sword.  Reverse shows St. Adalbert at left holding crozier, and St. Wenceslas at right.

Adalbert is an important saint in the slavic world.  Bohemian by birth, he was for some time the Bishop of Prague, and later the Bishop of Gniezno (Poland).  He was martyred at the age of 41 in 997 A.D. while working to convert the Prussians on th eBaltic coast of what is now Poland.  Both the Prague and Gniezno cathedrals claim to have his body enshrined, and both the Czech Republic and Poland consider him as one of their patron saints.

StAdalbert.jpg

Message 77 of 127
latest reply

I can understand having missed Adalbert in my earlier searches, but not this one.  St. Wenceslas (Vaclav) was duke of Bohemia in the mid-9th century.  His grandfather had been converted to Christianity by Saints Cyril and Methodius, who are generally given credit for having brought Christianity to the Slavic world. 

Those were pretty violent times.  When, at age 13, his father died, his grandmother was appointed regent, but was soon killed by his mother.  When Wenceslas came of age, he put the duchy under protection of the Germans (HRE I assume?), and divided the duchy between himself and his brother.  Apparently that wasn;t enough, as he was murdered by his brother in 935 at the age of 28.  He was immediately declared a martyr and saint.  He is considered the (main) patron caint of the Czech Republic. 

Between the wars, 1, 2, 5 and 10 ducat coins were minted with his image.

StWenceslas.jpg

Message 78 of 127
latest reply

Hola TDZ your post of 3 Marzo 2016 0522 hrs:  Neat coins!  Your comentario regarding the

Duchy asking for protection of the 'Germans [HRE I assume?]' is extremely close. 

The Slavic history Heron does not know mucho!

However, East Franks, in that time frame which you mention, Heron has a bit of knowledge,

along with hep from Googly!

Kingdom of East Franks were expanding and adding territories [fiefs] in the period from about

840 to 962.  Part of their expansion included parts of what is now Poland.   Some of the

independent Slavic duchies did indeed make treaties with the East Franks. Mostly for protection.

[During this time period, the East Franks also controlled Danemark and other areas in the region].

The time period you mention in your post 'co-incides' with the expansion to the East by the

Kingdom of the East Franks.

This Kingdom of East Franks was the precursor to what would become the Holy Roman Empire

at around 1100 AD.

Heron found another Saint coin but cannot now find the info writ.  Heron will post-it when info is

found.  Do not laugh!  If you live to near 80 it could happen to you, ha!  Respectos.

Message 79 of 127
latest reply

Hola TDZ, your post of 28 Abril 2015 1525 hrs:  On 6 Marzo 2016, whilst searching

through the eBay listings for Italiano provinces Heron discovered another "Mary"

coin.

[Maria] Sancta dei Genitrix - 1797 5 Baiocchi of Roma, Papal States. Pope Pius VI.

This coin has a 'bust' portrait of woman with halo above.

The coin was in decent grade and price was reasonable. However, Heron already

owned a Roma Papal States coin. 

Heron is aware that this is not a 'new' addition for your list.  However, it might be a

'new' coin and place of issue?   Quien Sabe?  Who knows?

Respectos. 

Message 80 of 127
latest reply

Grazie mille!

Indeed, I have run across this type in some previous searches, and considered acquiring one.   Quite a range of grades and prices from which to choose.  I know your accumulation contains a lot of coppers ... my saints are thus far mostly in silver, but I should consider this one.

I have a few bids out on other saints at the moment ... maybe if I am not 100% succesful, I will acquire a copper Maria as consolation (Our Lady of Sorrows?).

Message 81 of 127
latest reply

Two new saints added to the holy accumulation:  the St. Adalbert denar shown about 5 posts earlier, and a St. Sebastian from Ottingen.

Saint Sebastian was born in Roman Gaul, educated in Milan, and became a member of the elite Praetorian guard.  When he was exposed to the anti-Christian emperor Diocletian, Diocletian had him tied to a tree and shot through with arrows.  Legend has it he survived, was nursed back to health, but went to the emperor to confront him about his persecution of Christians, resulting in his being clubbed to death (288 A.D.).  He is the subject of many renaissance paintings.  I cannot find out why he is associated with Ottingen 

StSebastianMantegna.jpgStSebastianB.jpg

I was outbid on a nice St. Moritz, on a Halbdicken of Luzern.  I think the imagery associated with such a denomination is even more interesting than the image of the saint  Smiley Very Happy  Oh, well, maybe next time.

StMauriceLuzern.jpg

Message 82 of 127
latest reply

Hola TDZ - your post of 21 Dec 2014 1507 hrs:  On 10 Marzo 2016 whilst researching

Schmeien Castle near Sigmaringen, Heron found this informacion:

Sigmaringen was the birthplace of Saint Fidelis.  Born 1577.

1622 murdered by Calvinist troops.  Feast day is 24 April.

Heron searched through the list of Saints and did not see a Saint Fidelis listed.

Heron does not know if there was a coin issued with image of Saint Fidelis onnit.

Howsever, it is something to 'watch for' perhaps?

Regardvs. 

Info Source: Wikit Sigmaringen.

Message 83 of 127
latest reply

Hola TDZ - nice coin additions for your accumulation!

Update re San Ysidro:  Whilst searching for Sankt Fidelis coins on Heron's favorite

Deutschlander site, Heron found a Spain paper money issue with likeness of Saint

Isidoro.   It is a 1,000 Peseta note dated 1965. 

By the way, Heron has not found mention of any coins portraying Sankt Fidelis.

That does not mean there isnt one.  Just means Heron hasnt found it.  Are we

having fun yet? ha!

Respectos. 

Message 84 of 127
latest reply

Hola TDZ: your post of 02-03-1412 hrs:  Whilst Heron was researching for info regarding

a coin issued in Bohemia, he found some info regarding Good King Wenceslaus!

Actually this Wenceslaus I was listed in the LIst of Rulers of Bohemia as Duke of Bohemia

921-935.  Later known as Saint Wenceslaus, the Patron Saint of the Czech Lands. 

How the English promoted Wenzel the First to King is unknown to Heron at present. 

However, Heron does indeed remember learning the woids to the song 'Good King

Wenceslaus'.  [Looking over the feast of Steffan].  This was perhaps 1943 or 1944.

Heron now has a coin with the Wenceslaus Bohemische Wenzelskrone on Reverse.

Not as good as a portrait of Wenceslaus hisself, but something to consider.

Regardos.

Message 85 of 127
latest reply

The supply is never ending ...

St. Terence (S. Terentius in the Latin legend seen here) is the patron saint of the city of Pesaro, Italy, and according to tradition, was martyred in 251 A.D. during the persecutions of the Roman emperor Decius.  He is shown in this 15th century denaro holding a palm in one hand (the symbol of martyrs ... and appropriate to tomorrow, Palm Sunday), and a military banner in the other, with a model of the medieval city behind him.

Earlier, a coin of Pesaro bearing the image of the apostles James and John was posted.

StTerentius.jpg

Message 86 of 127
latest reply

An interesting one ...

On the right is St. Sperandia, a 13th century Benedictine nun, and later abbess in central Italy, known for her piety.

On the left, St. Exuperantius, 5th centruy bishop of Cingoli, Italy.  

I couldn't figure out why two such obscure saints -- the patron caints of Cingoli, Italy, an almost unheard of place -- would be chosen for a coin.  Then I read the bio of Pope Pius VIII, and guess where he came from?  Cingoli!  So it's a "Hometown Heroes" coin. 

He also only reigned for only 19 months, making his coins a bit scarce (oh, well).  

StExuper&Sperand.jpg

Message 87 of 127
latest reply

It turns out that Portuguese India is a pretty good source of coins with saints.

Much earlier (maybe on the predecessor thread), one of the stalwarts here pointed out that St. Thomas is depicted on some 16th century gold coins of Portuguese India (sorry for forgetting who to credit).  These are the only images of the apostle Thomas I have seen.  Which is too bad, because they are well above my price range (into the $thousands for those I have seen).

But Portuguese India also minted 2 tangas denomination silver coins inthe mid-1600s with John the Baptist, and St. Philip.  John shows up on many European coins, notable the original florin, and many other coins of Florence, where he is patron saint.

But Philip is tougher.  I have only seen him on florins of Brabant in the 15th/16th century, and on this portuguese type (2 tangas, 1640-41):

StPhilipGoa.jpg

In Philip's iconography, he is often seen (a) holding a scroll in his left hand, (b) holding a cross in his right hand (in some legends he suffered death by crucifixion, but in others he died a natural death), and (c) with a dragon at his feet, calling to mind a legend in which he freed the Scythians of a dragon that had been harassing them, in return for their demolishing their false idols.

I was lucky to just nab one at auction, with considerably more wear, but at least with much of the image of the saint intact.

Message 88 of 127
latest reply

I can only think I've previously missed this great example (especially during Easter season) because it doesn't appear so often, or because my searching is so haphazard.

St. Veronica is the woman who wiped Jesus' face while he carried his cross up to Calvary (6th station of the cross).  Oddly, for personae connected with this stage of Jesus' life, she is not mentioned in scripture.  The veil was recovered in the Middle East in medieval times and is now in St. Peter's.   Ducat of Paul II (1464-71) Papal States.  

StVeronica.jpg

Message 89 of 127
latest reply

Hola TDZ - your post of 12 Abril 2016 1535:  Nice find!  Heron particularly likes

the Coat of Arms on that coin.  It would easily fit into Heron's collection of COA.

In addition, it is a nicely dated coin.   Regardos.

Message 90 of 127
latest reply