cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saints ' Images on Coins

I thought I would make this topic a bit more visible .... This previous thread morphed into a thread on finding images of Christian saints on coins:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Coins-Paper-Money/Question-of-Variety-Authenticity-for-Medieval-Italian...

For those with an interest in the designs of medieval and Renaissance era European coins, you may enjoy browsing through it.

In the spirit of some other threads, there is also a running list, which (after some rearrangement) looks like this, and the encouragement of readers to add to it!:

1.  Mary as Madonna - Hungary Ducats starting 16th c., Bavaria thalers 1770s, Nuremburg notgeld

Annunciation - Naples Charles II salute d'argento 15th c.

Mary is also shown "crowning" byzantine soverigns on some gold coins of the 11-12thc.

2.  Michael the Archangel - Brabant esterlin 1267-94, England Edward IV gold angel, Vatican City 50 c. 1929-41, Zeitz notgeld 

3.  John the Baptist -  Gold florins of Florence, France (Orange, Avignon), northern Germany 13-15th c.,  Testons of Florence.

4.  Mary Magdalen -  Papal States - Ancona teston 1582  

Apostles/Evangelists:

5.  St. Peter - Many papal states/Vatican City issues;  Brabant gros, 14th c.

6.  St. Andrew - Brunswick-Lunenburg thalers and fractions of 16th-17th c., Brabant florin Charles the Bold

7.  Ss. James & John -  Pesar mezzo paolo 1538-74

8.  St. Thomas - Portuguese India Joao III (1521-57) gold

9.  St. Mark - Venice grosso of 13-15th c. (and later Venice coins)

10. St. Matthew - Papal States piastre 1676

11. St. Paul - Munster 3 and 6 pfennig 1750s to 1770s; Papal States many issues including grosso of Benedict XIV (1740s) and Vatican City 20 centesimo of 1930s

Early Martyrs:

12. St. Stephen - Metz gros of 14-15thc and thalers of 17th, Halberstadt bracteates of 12-13th c. and thalers of 16-17th c.

13. St. George - (Antioch 1112-19; England/Gr Britain Noble Henry VIII, Crown, Sovereign 1817-; Bank of Canada token 1852, Ferrara grossone Ercole I 1471-1505; Mansfeld-Eisleben 1/3 Thaler 1671; Friedberg Thaler 1766

14. St. Alban - trade ducat, priory of St. Albans (Mains) 1712-1786

15. St. Antoninus - Borgotaro teston 1520s, Parma teston of 1622-46

16. St. Vitalis - Parma teston 1646-94

17. St. Ursus - Solothurn duplone 1797

18. St. Benigno - Abbey of Montanaro teston 1529-43

Others (many are medieval bishops who spread the faith, founded monateries, abbeys, founded religious orders ..)

19. St. Nicholas - Lorraine (Florin, 1608-24)

20. St. Killian - Wurzburg (Thaler 1685)

21. St. Patrick - Dublin tokens 1660s

22. St. Demetrius - Byzantine nomisma, 1080s

23. St. Theodore - Byzantine trachy, 1143-80

24. St. Martin - Lucca Scudo 1733, Bingen and Aschaffenburg notgeld

25. St. Ambrose - Milan Grosso 1395-1402

26. St. Vitus - Corvey 24 Mariengroschen 1753

27. St. Willibald - Eichstatt 5 Kreuzer 1750s

28. St. Romuald - Papl States

29. St. Stephan - Hungary 5 Pengo 1938

30. Ss Cyril & Methodius - Bulgaria 5 Leva, Slovakia 20 korun 1941

31. St. Maximinus - Trier notgeld issues 1920

32. St. Moritz - Magdeburg 1/24 Thaler 1607

33. St. Liborius - Paderborn Thaler 1620, 1786

34. St. Marinus - St. Marino 20 lire 1931-

35. St. Ludger - Werden & Helmstedt Thaler 1745; Werden notgeld

36. St. Hildegard - Kempten 1 & 2 kreuzer 1620s

37. St. Pope John XXIII - Cook Is. 2014

38. St. Pope John Paul II - Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Canada, Poland 2014

39. St. Gertrude - Wattenscheid notgeld

40. St. Gotthard - Gotha notgeld

41. St. Pancras - Iserlohn notgeld

42. St. Patroclus - Soest notgeld

Message 1 of 127
latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Re: Saints ' Images on Coins

Hola TDZ and all other Saint's coins aficionados!

The entire time we have been posting re Saints el Heron has had sitting upon his desk a

coin of Ottingen!  What makes this coin interesting is that it is a One Batzen dated 1523.

A nice Silver coin 25mm dia.  Acquired in 2014. Covered over by many pieces of paper

and 'notes'. Awaiting re-packaging.

However, what makes this coin interesting is that it depicts San Sebastian!

Heron purchased it not for San Sebastian but for the fact it was a 'new' coin issuing

authority to add to HRE accumulation..Heron did not see San Sebastian listed on the Saints

list.  Are we having fun yet?  YES!  Regardvs,

xx

Message 31 of 127
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

Hola TDZ and all other Saint's coins aficionados!

The entire time we have been posting re Saints el Heron has had sitting upon his desk a

coin of Ottingen!  What makes this coin interesting is that it is a One Batzen dated 1523.

A nice Silver coin 25mm dia.  Acquired in 2014. Covered over by many pieces of paper

and 'notes'. Awaiting re-packaging.

However, what makes this coin interesting is that it depicts San Sebastian!

Heron purchased it not for San Sebastian but for the fact it was a 'new' coin issuing

authority to add to HRE accumulation..Heron did not see San Sebastian listed on the Saints

list.  Are we having fun yet?  YES!  Regardvs,

xx

Fantastic!  I have wondered if he appeared somewhere ... arrows and all.

I'll look for a photo of one.

Message 32 of 127
latest reply

Hola TDZ: Heron sees that we already have listed a coin of St. Nick. However, just to

let you know that Heron is awake and searching, here is another St. Nick:

Freyburg - 1 Kreuzer - dated 1787.

Just for fun!  Regardus,

xx

Message 33 of 127
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

Hola TDZ: Heron sees that we already have listed a coin of St. Nick. However, just to

let you know that Heron is awake and searching, here is another St. Nick:

Freyburg - 1 Kreuzer - dated 1787.

Just for fun!  Regardus,

xx

Thanks!

I went looking for an image of the coin, and found some with SNCTVS NICHOLAVS in the legend, but none with an image.

As luck would have it, though, I was also reminded that there are two Germanic places with this name:

- Fribourg the Swiss Canton (St Nicholas patron)

- Freiburg im Brisgau, Baden, Germany

Due to that confusion, I found this great thaler of 1739 from the other Freiburg, showing St. Lambert (bishop of Maastricht martyred around 700 a.d.) and St. Alexander (Christian Roman soldier martyred around 289 A.D.).  Whay are they on a coin of Freibourg?  I do not have a clue, as the patron saint is neither of them, but St. George.  But a lovely coin! 

StLambertAlexander.jpg

Message 34 of 127
latest reply

Hola TDZ - your post of 24 Jan 2015 0634:  Heron has spent some Saturday afternoon time

searching for the Swiss Canton Freiburg coin with image of St. Nick.  It was apparently removed

from the website Heron was viewing. Probably acquired by someone?  The Swiss Canton Freiburg

coin Heron 'found' did have an image of San Nicolas. The coin had a date of early 18th Century.

That is all remembered by Heron. [Swiss Canton Freiburg aka Fribourg & Freyburg].

[Website with St. Nick pic was a Euro site.  Site not familiar to Heron].

This is an interesting hobby!  Heron has a coin from Friedburg in Hesse Halbbatzen 1591. 

However, that is a different category!

The 1739 Thaler of Freiburg im Breisgau is shown in the KM Standard Catalog

of Germanian coins.  Heron 'missed' that one for the 'Saints' topic. However, this issuing

authority will be added to Heron's want list because there is no coin of Freiburg im Breisgau in

Heron's accumulation!  Thanks for reporting that coin!  Another item for 'search'!

And a great 'find' by TDZ for the list of Saints!... Are we having fun yet? Yesss!

xx

Message 35 of 127
latest reply

I rummaged around and found the scans of the Saltzburg thalers I have.  I know, they're scans not photos.  I haven't taken the time to get good photos:

salz1633T1a.jpgsalz1633T1b.jpg

salz1694Thalfa.jpgsalz1694thalfb.jpg

salz1758T1a.jpgsalz1758T1b.jpg

"climate is what we expect weather is what we get"
M. Twain

Message 36 of 127
latest reply

@gacooke wrote:

I rummaged around and found the scans of the Saltzburg thalers I have.  I know, they're scans not photos.  I haven't taken the time to get good photos:

salz1633T1a.jpgsalz1633T1b.jpg

salz1694Thalfa.jpgsalz1694thalfb.jpg

salz1758T1a.jpgsalz1758T1b.jpg

Thanks for posting those here.  Beautiful coins all!

The first one is similar to the type discussed on the thread about "Bid Drops by $200."  But the the others more interesting ... The middle one (1694) has a new saint (I think?)  St. Vergilius, an Irish monk who came to the continent, and eventually was bishop of Salzburg in the 8th century. 

Intersting roccoco madonna in the last ... Have never seen a madonna with prone baby (if I am reading it correctly) on a coin.

Message 37 of 127
latest reply

Hola TDZ - 28 Jan 2015 was a good day for Heron.  He received his coin of Schwyzer Kanton

Freiburg dated 1752.  This is a thin Copper coin measuring 22mm dia.

On Obverse at center is large coat of arms. Surrounding is this; "FRIBURGENSIS MONETA REIPUB."

On Reverse at center is large Swiss style Christian Cross. Rather ornate. Surrounding this Cross is

this "SANCTUS NICOLAUS". At 6 oclock near edge is date '1752'.

There is no image of Sanctus Nicolaus.  However, Heron receiving this nice Fine+ coin via the

U.S. Mail adds yet another issuing authority to the Kantons of Schweitzeische.  A comment about

this coin, or perhaps 2 comments about this coin:  Heron is 99.99% positive it is NOT a counterfeit,

although acquired through the venue eBay.  Secondly, the coin is about a half grade better than it

appeared to be in the sellers pic.  Another fine & fun day in the life of a world coin collector!

The beautiful pics of the Saints Thalers are extremely interesting to Heron because of the one Thaler

with a large oval coat of arms and the other Thalers with small 'oval' shaped coats of arms depicted.

Not only are these coins interesting for the Saints theme but those neat coats of arms are enjoyable

for one bird that can enjoy coats of arms. Opinion.  Nice work!  Regards,

xx

Message 38 of 127
latest reply

New Jersey Farthing depicting St Patrick currently up for bids in a February 1st Heritage sale.....

njf1.jpg.jpg

njf2.jpg

Tom

Photobucket

Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s

----------

Message 39 of 127
latest reply

Hola Toms World: That is a really neat 'find'!  St. Patrick on a Farthing.  Of Nova Joisey!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

In addition, whilst Heron was perusing eBay Deutschland in pursuit of additional issuing

authorities of Zollpfenningen, he stumbled upon an ersatzgeld

or we could say ersatzmunzen piece:

This ersatzmunz is 22.0mm dia and made of brass.

Side 1: A cow at center. Legend surrounding is "Hofgut St. Georg & St. Martin".

[The spelling of Georg is not an error or a typo- that is how George is spelt in Germanian].

Side 2: At center is a large 10. Surrounding is this legend; "Milch-Marke Werth".

[This item is 'worth' 10 in milk mark]

No images of these 2 saints, however, could be considered a somewhat interesting

item for the Saints storehouse of info... Regards,

xx

Message 40 of 127
latest reply

@toms-world wrote:

New Jersey Farthing depicting St Patrick currently up for bids in a February 1st Heritage sale.....

njf1.jpg.jpg

njf2.jpg

Tom

Neat!  I think gacooke had previously contributed an Irish token with St. Pat, so we do have him on the list way back at #21.  If/when I next update the earieir part of the list, I will add the NJ coin.

Message 41 of 127
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

Hola TDZ - 28 Jan 2015 was a good day for Heron.  He received his coin of Schwyzer Kanton

Freiburg dated 1752.  This is a thin Copper coin measuring 22mm dia.

xx

Congrats!

I have been adding as well, via Ebay and elsewhere.

Have acquired the type bearing St. Justina / St Mark pictured earlier in the thread (Venice 40 soldi), as I couldn't resist a "twofer."

And the Lucerne type with St. Leodegar that you pointed me toward.  The image of this saint is interesting because he holds the bishop's crozier in one hand, and a cane in the other, referring to his blindness.  Small billon coin, but I found one in reasonable condition on Ebay from a seller in France.

StLeodegar2.JPG.

Unlike the birthyear collection, I can not claim I am funding my purchases from Ebay sales Smiley Sad.  I am definitely dipping into my beer money ( and then some). 

Does that make me a real coin collector?  Smiley Very Happy

Message 42 of 127
latest reply

@tdziemianowicz wrote:

Unlike the birthyear collection, I can not claim I am funding my purchases from Ebay sales Smiley Sad.  I am definitely dipping into my beer money ( and then some). 

Does that make me a real coin collector?  Smiley Very Happy

you buy coins for pleasure... that makes you a coin collector...

Message 43 of 127
latest reply

anybody who says you're not a real coin collector because you do or don't do this or that or collect this or that or do things this way or that way doesn't know carp...

Message 44 of 127
latest reply

carp.jpg

Message 45 of 127
latest reply