cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OT-Favorite Band/Music ~ Reading C&PM

Hello Friends,

I thought I would mix it up a bit and ask what people listen to (if anything) while reading & posting here. Music is a huge part of my life (for better or worse) but it is always a constant. Does anyone here have a favorite group/band that they listen to and would like to share that with everybody?

I will take that next step. My favorite band is Steely Dan and I listen to "AJA" quite often full blast with my JBL L-112's flexing their might and reading the posts here. It is a cool experience for me and I am in hopes that those who listen to music while perusing this board will share what they listen to. 🙂 No right,no wrong, no scam; it is what it is. Do tell...

richard
Message 1 of 4,186
latest reply
4,185 REPLIES 4,185

http://youtu.be/a78Rrv6RGrY

Georges Bizet - La jolie fille de Perth (1866) 

1-1865 abe.jpg1-1866 abe 2.jpg

1866 PATTERN FIVE CENTS

Variety equivalents:
Adams-Woodin ? = Judd 487 = Pollock 576 

Rarity:  

Metal content: Copper

Edge: Plain

Message 3121 of 4,186
latest reply

Who can ever forget this great song of humor?  This song was writ by Peggy Lee and Dave Barbour.  Published in 1947.

Manana!    [this cheer keyboard or the current program or both prevents the 'tilde' for some reason or t'other]

Here are two of el Heron's favorito segmentos:

My mother she is working, she is working very hard

But every time she looks for me I'm sleeping in the yard

My mother thinks I'm lazy and maybe she is right

I'll go to work manana but I gotta sleep tonight

Manana, manana, manana is soon enough for me!

The other segmento is this:

The window she is broken and the rain is comin' in

If someone doesn't fix it I'll be soaking to my skin

But if we wait a day or two the rain may go away

And we don't need a window on such a sunny day

Manana, manana, manana, is soon enough for me OBA!

FOOTNOTE: Woids as writ on innernet website.  Not changed by el Heron a-tall.

FOOTNOTE: This song was super popular on the raddio in 1947 & 1948.  The DJ's played this song many many times.

Peggy Lee did a great job onnit.   Makes el Heron smile everytime he hears this song...!  A fun life por seguro...!

FOOTNOTE: in 1945, el Heron's granfather gave to el Heron a really super nice Philco table model raddio.  It had the standard AM band plus 2 short wave bands.   It was a top of the line raddio.  Gasthyrotron tubes natcherly. el Heron bought a spool of copper wire and on some trees strung a wire N - S and another strand E - W.   At night, when the ionosphere gravitated to about 200 miles above the oith, el Heron would listen to raddio stations far away from Maryland.  As far as St Louis Misery KMOX.   Del Rio Texas.  Shecargo, Havana, and Nooorleens. And of course Wheelin West VA.  Fun days!

FOOTNOTE: Yes, the N-S and E-W wires had to be reconnected manually in order to receive.  This was mucho prior to the advanced electronic 'age'.  Yeehaw!

xx

Message 3122 of 4,186
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

Hi to you too!!  🙂

Sorry if I posted incorrectly, but with the thread being title, "Favorite Band/Music"   I thought this was the right one...

Please forgive me ya'll...

You should be.:) Not posting coins with music. I;m only playen with you on the last post.

The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.

Message 3123 of 4,186
latest reply

@heymynameisearl wrote:

Just so you guys know I'm still alive  🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OG8Y7wDUVo

Welcome back been missing you.Wondered what happened to ya.

Message 3124 of 4,186
latest reply

@jesusrocks3339 wrote:

Amy, you are missing all of the fun dude

http://youtu.be/5pp5cWGJWww

Der Deitcher's Dog -Oh Where Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone

1-1864 thaler.gifGerman States, Bremen Silver Thaler

Lori I can say your doing a wonderful job. Now nee to see where you left off at. This coin gorgeous the details on it is amazing.

Message 3125 of 4,186
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

Who can ever forget this great song of humor?  This song was writ by Peggy Lee and Dave Barbour.  Published in 1947.

Manana!    [this cheer keyboard or the current program or both prevents the 'tilde' for some reason or t'other]

Here are two of el Heron's favorito segmentos:

My mother she is working, she is working very hard

But every time she looks for me I'm sleeping in the yard

My mother thinks I'm lazy and maybe she is right

I'll go to work manana but I gotta sleep tonight

Manana, manana, manana is soon enough for me!

The other segmento is this:

The window she is broken and the rain is comin' in

If someone doesn't fix it I'll be soaking to my skin

But if we wait a day or two the rain may go away

And we don't need a window on such a sunny day

Manana, manana, manana, is soon enough for me OBA!

FOOTNOTE: Woids as writ on innernet website.  Not changed by el Heron a-tall.

FOOTNOTE: This song was super popular on the raddio in 1947 & 1948.  The DJ's played this song many many times.

Peggy Lee did a great job onnit.   Makes el Heron smile everytime he hears this song...!  A fun life por seguro...!

FOOTNOTE: in 1945, el Heron's granfather gave to el Heron a really super nice Philco table model raddio.  It had the standard AM band plus 2 short wave bands.   It was a top of the line raddio.  Gasthyrotron tubes natcherly. el Heron bought a spool of copper wire and on some trees strung a wire N - S and another strand E - W.   At night, when the ionosphere gravitated to about 200 miles above the oith, el Heron would listen to raddio stations far away from Maryland.  As far as St Louis Misery KMOX.   Del Rio Texas.  Shecargo, Havana, and Nooorleens. And of course Wheelin West VA.  Fun days!

FOOTNOTE: Yes, the N-S and E-W wires had to be reconnected manually in order to receive.  This was mucho prior to the advanced electronic 'age'.  Yeehaw!

xx

http://youtu.be/Y05gGX9pSNg this the only one I know 🙂

Message 3126 of 4,186
latest reply

http://youtu.be/_CTYymbbEL4 

Johann Strauss II - The Blue Danube Waltz

the 100th anniversary of the confederation of Canada (1867

Message 3127 of 4,186
latest reply

http://youtu.be/NnjauJquWfw 

Liszt - Requiem, S. 12 (R. 448), "Messe des morts" (1868)

Philippine 1868 Four Peso Coin

Message 3128 of 4,186
latest reply

http://youtu.be/ZScl5RElhL8

Peter Heise - Piano Quintet in F major (1869)

Spain Provisional Government 1 Peseta 1869

Date: 1869 
 Mint mark: M and SN 
 Size: medium 
 Description: On the date side:Gobierno Provisional with what appears as a seated lady holding out her arm holding something. On the mint mark side: 200 Piezas En Kilogramo. Una Peseta. 
 Composition: not precious 
 Wear: worn 
 Eye appeal: tainted 
 Denomination: I'm assuming one peso 
 Holder: raw 
 Damage: not specified 
 Errors: none 
 Toning: dark 

Message 3129 of 4,186
latest reply

http://youtu.be/4pyqOTGQpVY 

Preussens Gloria 1870

1870 JAPAN MEIJI-3 LARGE 20 YEN GOLD

Message 3130 of 4,186
latest reply

http://youtu.be/WE-TW53kin4 Symphonic hallmarks ~ Joseph Joachim Raff ~ Italian Suite in E

German States, 1871 Bavaria Madonna Taler

Message 3131 of 4,186
latest reply

http://youtu.be/SeMcFwxU4KU George Catlin (1796-1872) - "Native American" Song

Message 3132 of 4,186
latest reply

http://youtu.be/6CbgLEsGKMk SILVER THREADS AMONG THE GOLD - 1873 - Tom  Imagine that country music in the 1800

Beautiful song. Now I wonder where I can get it. Love to download it.

Message 3133 of 4,186
latest reply

http://youtu.be/D1gsGpAuIxU I'M GOING BACK TO DIXIE - 1874

EAGLE. Obverse: Bust of Liberty facing left, with the legend UNITED STATES OF AMERICA around and the date 1874 below. Liberty wears a diadem inscribed LIBERTY and her hair is tied in the back. The diadem is ornamented with six stars. An olive wreath is tied around Liberty's neck. Reverse: The weight, 16.72 GRAMS, the standard of the metal, 900 FINE, and the word UBIQUE are inscribed within a design of six rope sections. UBIQUE is an allusion to the objective of the international coinage scheme, signifying that such pieces would be accepted everywhere. In the different rope sections are representations of the coin's value in six different currency units; these being as follows: DOLLARS 10; STERLING £2.1.1; MARKEN 41.99; KRONEN 37.31; GULDEN 20.73; FRANCS 51.81. The designs of both the obverse and reverse are attributed to Dana Bickford.
Dana Bickford and his coinage proposals received considerable attention during the mid 1870s. The Coin & Stamp Journal published in Kansas City, Missouri contained an article titled "Dana Bickford's International Coin," (February 1876 issue) from which we quote the following:
The leading journals throughout this country and Europe are discussing the necessity for an "international coin," having been aroused to its importance by a resolution offered in the Senate by Senator Sherman. But Mr. Sherman's plan will meet with the same difficulty that our government has contended with for years, viz., to obtain a coin having a relation of value to die present coins of other nations, without having their denominational value and design changed. This difficulty has been overcome, and to Mr. Dana Bickford, of New York City, the original inventor of the automatic knitting machines, belongs the honor.

Mr. Bickford, while traveling in Europe, experienced the difficulties and inconveniences that European travelers are subjected to, of having to provide money current in each country he visited, and at times ignorant of its value in our money. Having upon one occasion been particularly annoyed, he determined, if possible, to overcome the difficulty, and being a man of great inventive capacity, was not long in arriving at his present plan, and designed a coin that shows on its face its value in our money and that of the principal commercial nations of the world.

The United States and foreign governments have endeavored for years, and spent thousands of dollars, to perfect a system of "international coinage," but have been unable to get a coin that would prove acceptable to the principal nations, as each one has a peculiar design for its coin, which it is unwilling to change entirely. With Mr. Bickford's coin this difficulty is removed, as each government can fully display its design and value on one side, and on the other show the value of the coin in the currencies of the different nations, also the fineness of the metal and number of grammes without altering their values, and but slightly changing designs.
Shortly after Mr. Bickford returned from Europe he called on Dr. Henry R. Linderman, the director of the Mint, and submitted to him his design for an international coin. After carefully examining it the director was so impressed with its importance, and the great saving the adoption of such a coin would be to our government, that with his usual foresight and penetration he at once ordered sample coins struck off at the Philadelphia Mint, which proved entirely satisfactory and practical. It is not generally known that the annual expense to our government for recoinage and waste on coin entering this country from abroad is half a million dollars, and the same waste and expense is incurred by foreign governments.
The Bickford patterns are considerably greater in diameter than the regular-issue $10 gold pieces. This increased diameter may have been the Mint's response to the renewed problem of "filling," whereby genuine U.S. gold coins were being defrauded by individuals who sawed them in half edgewise, hollowed them out, and then reassembled them with a disk of less-expensive platinum taking the place of the missing gold.
1519. Copper. Reeded edge. Rarity-6. Davis-378, AW-1367, Judd-1374, Taxay-EP962. Reported weights in grains: 221.7, 222.2, 223.5, 224.1, 229.2, 234.0, 235.5, 239. Diameters range from 1.371 to 1.372 inches. All examples seen have a 180° die alignment.

Message 3134 of 4,186
latest reply

http://youtu.be/-NGOvxRPyps 

Joachim Raff - Symphony No. 7 "In The Alps" (1875)

Germany 2 Pfennig 1873 to 1916

Date: 1875 
 Mint mark: d or e 
 Size: small 
 Description: deutsches reich 1875 2 pfennig on the front. on the back an egal with a sheild the letter e at the bottom and a crown above the egals head 
 Composition: not precious 
 Wear: average circulated 
 Eye appeal: likable 
 Denomination: not specified 
 Holder: not specified 
 Damage: scratch 
 Errors: not specified 
 Toning: not specified 

Germany 2 Pfennig 1873 to 1916 | 2 pfennig germany eagle shield hawk crown falcon reich letter head an deutiches dutches pfennige pffnig deutschem deustch deuches pfenig

Message 3135 of 4,186
latest reply