cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nicaraguan Cordoba

Hi,

I have a 1912 Nicuraguan Cordoba that I inherited.  Can anyone give me some info regarding to value?  Attached are a couple of images.  Thanks for any help.

Sue

SueIMG_20170906_120124.jpgIMG_20170906_120352.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Nicaraguan Cordoba

@sue-dg

sue-dg,

First of all, I will say that I know absolutely NOTHING about Nicaraguan coins so please take whatever I write with a grain of salt, OK?

From viewing auctions on eBay for a 1912 Nicaragua Un Cordoba coin struck at the Heaton Mint in Birmingham - that's that tiny little H just below the date - assuming that your coin is silver, and in my best estimation, your coin grades XF-45 (Extra-Fine 45) and possibly AU-50 (About Uncirculated 50), I hazard a guess at about $200.00 or thereabouts.

There are third-party (professionally) graded examples of your coin (in higher grades) that are fetching considerably more money than $200.00.

Currently an NGC graded MS62 (Mint-State 62) example is being offered for more than $2,000.00.

PLEASE wait for someone else who is knowledgeable about foreign coins to respond to your inquiry as they may have numismatic reference materials to provide you some estimate of value.

Godzilla_Goose

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Nicaraguan Cordoba

Thanks for your input. I did look a bit myself and noticed process all over the place, which is partially why I posted. Take care!

Sue

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Nicaraguan Cordoba

Prices, not process!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Nicaraguan Cordoba

Hola Sue-dg:   Your Cordoba coin is .900 fine silver.  It is .72 oz actual silver weight.

The KM Catalog shows mintage at 35,000.   Not a large mintage.  On the other hand, there are probably not a lot of Nicaragua coin collectors.   

The 'grade' appears to be about VF ... Very Fine.

Even in this grade the coin could be worth US$150, mas o menos.  Not many sales recorded to make a closer estimate.   Note: Grade & Pricing is Heron OPINION.

Regardos.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Nicaraguan Cordoba

@sue-dg wrote:

Thanks for your input. I did look a bit myself and noticed process all over the place, which is partially why I posted. Take care!

Sue

@sue-dg

sue-dg,

Prices for this coin are all over the place because the price is dependent on the grade (or condition) of the coin. A nicer coin will command a higher price. Since the mintage is only 35,000 coins, I surmise there are very few Mint-State examples that exist and that is why the MS examples are commanding a price in the thousands. There are relatively more coins in the lower grades available and that is why you see the lower prices for these coins.

I have looked at NGC's web site to see if I can find auction results for Nicaragua 1Cor coins sold at auction. I have found two NGC graded XF 40 examples that sold via Heritage Auctions (Dec 22, 2016 and Apr 16, 2015) for $129.25 (plus Buyer's Premium). From viewing the pictures of the NGC graded XF 40 examples, I honestly believe your coin is better than the NGC graded XF 40 examples and that is why I had provided a grade of XF-45 in my earlier post.

I also saw an NGC graded coin with the notation AU Details Rim Filing that sold at Heritage Auctions (Sep 10, 2014) for $152.75 (plus Buyer's Premium). To me, this is a coin with problems so that is why it sold for less than $200.00.

Also sold through Heritage Auctions (Sep 9, 2014) was an NGC graded AU 53 example for $317.25 (plus Buyer's Premium). Your coin will not grade AU 53 if you sent it in to be third-party graded by NGC. This, I am quite sure of from looking at your images of your coin.

For INFORMATION purposes ONLY:

https://www.ngccoin.com/auction-central/world/nicaragua-scid-239/auctions/1912h-nicaragua-1cor-ms-co...

As such, my best guess as to value is still about $200.00 since I do not have access to a Krause catalogue to see what values are stated in that reference book. Nevertheless, the Heritage Auction results are the best gauge of determining value that I can find for your particular coin.

Godzilla_Goose

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Nicaraguan Cordoba

@sue-dg wrote:

Sue

I agree with the previous posters on something like $150-200.

In addition to the eBay "sold items" search function, you can look here:

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/results.php?search=nicaragua+1912+&s=0&upcoming=0&results=100.

If it were mine and I weren't feeling urgent, I'd list it at $195 BIN a few times, and see how many watches I got.  If it didn't sell at after 60 or 90 days, I'd do an auction.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Nicaraguan Cordoba

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it!

Sue

Message 8 of 8
latest reply