cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indian head/buffalo silver copy?

I just recently bought a 1 Troy oz .999 silver Indian head/ buffalo round. I have seen several up for auction so I felt okay about it. When I received it, I saw that it has "Copy# CGO393 below the Indian head. Is this actually silver or have I been scammed. I did not buy it for anything more than the silver value so there were no expectations of it being a valuable minted coin/currency.
Thanks for any info you can offer!
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

what's the weight in grams or pennyweights?

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

It reads '1 oz .999 FINE SILVER'.
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

These were produced by the National Collector's Mint and are copies of the offical buffalo round. They are 1 troy oz of .999 silver and are sequentially numbered, limited to 10K units. Still, best to have it checked... there are just so many fakes out there.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Thank you so much for the information. I used to do a little coin collecting but realized quickly that I was in way over my head. Now I am doing silver bullion and trying to stick to known mints and reputable sellers. Thanks again
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@southbunny wrote:
It reads '1 oz .999 FINE SILVER'.

it makes no difference what it says... you could have copper rounds that say "1 oz .999 gold" made by the thousands...

what does it weigh?

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

In the coin capsule it weighs 1.3 oz
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Silver Round

Take it out of the capsule and weigh it in grams.  An troy ounce is not the same as an avoirdupois ounce.

"climate is what we expect weather is what we get"
M. Twain

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Did as you suggested and it weighs 31g. I am not using a quality coin scale but a high quality food scale. I feel like an idiot fumbling in the dark. The good news is that I got scared and checked all of my Morgan dollars and they all weigh 27g (there has to be an error factor on the side of the scale). I did not purchase all of these at the same time or from the same place. There are 3 that were given to my mom by her grandfather 60+ years ago and they weighed the same. All passed the magnet test too.
Wow, it feels like you have to be an expert before buying anything.
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

you don't have to be an expert, but it helps to know what you're buying and how to do some basic attribution and authenticity checking...

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

It sounds like the real thing but any coin shop or pawn shop can confirm or deny.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Well, it says "COPY #" followed by a number, as if this is some sort of serial number.

delete.jpg

I made a quick internet search, and while not finding this exact round, I did find many CHINESE sellers selling the exact same "silver" bars as your seller has sold.  Not 100% proof that your round is not genuine, but I would never buy them.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

I have a 1/2 ounce Indian Head/buffalo silver round.  It says Golden State Mint, .999 silver.  It doesn't say COPY.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Regarding "Golden State Mint"... If it does or doesn't have "copy" printed on it, personally, I'd pass on it. 

I just checked that other website that reminds of a guy and his 40 thieves... You can buy 5 fake silver plated pieces of crud for only $14.50 off them including free shipping to the US.  Just freaking awesome.  They say they can do customized orders, so adding "copy" and a fake serial number to the bottom isn't out of the question.  A quick seach of that other website that sounds like it's in S. America also brought up a few items for sale that were "silver" tribute 1 oz bars not marked as copy, plated or clad. 

My opinion is it's fake.  I couldn't find a single one like it in completed that was marked "copy".  That just reeks enough to keep away.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I have a bullion piece as described by OP

Indian-Buffalo round

It weighs 31.1 grams, passes the ring test and passes the rare earth magnet slide test - I am comfortable that mine is silver...

Message 15 of 27
latest reply