cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

I'm curious about the pricing I see on ebay for common bullion coins like the Krugerrand, Maple Leaf, etc.  Generally speaking, it appears that these coins are being sold for very close to spot prices. Considering ebay fees (and paypal too, for that matter) amount to at least 10%, how is it that these items are being bought/traded at well below spot pricing ? For example, I see a lot of them being sold for right around $1250 for a one oz. coin (current spot). That leaves the seller with a net of $1125 or less.  

Wouldn't one be better off selling to a local coin broker/ pawn shop ? Perhaps the fee structure is less for big sellers/dealers than I would pay selling my coins on an ocassional basis ? That's the only explanation I can come up with. Besides, with items like this, dealing face to face with a brick & mortar establishment also seems emminently safer. Well, safer than dealing with the little guy like me at least. 

Thoughts ?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

there are four reasons i can think of offhand why things sell at less than FMV (fair market value)...

1 - the seller has significantly less than FMV in the item and set the start value high enough so that whatever the final bid, they make a profit

2 - the item being sold is a loss-leader

3 - the seller is simply trying to get rid of the item and takes whatever they can get

4 - the seller took a chance, started low, but not enough interest was generated so they lose money on it

more than one of these can come into play for any given item...

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

Wouldn't one be better off selling to a local coin broker/ pawn shop ? Perhaps the fee structure is less for big sellers/dealers than I would pay selling my coins on an ocassional basis ? That's the only explanation I can come up with. Besides, with items like this, dealing face to face with a brick & mortar establishment also seems emminently safer. Well, safer than dealing with the little guy like me at least. 

Thoughts ?

I pretty much agree.  I don't worry about you, but anyone selling on eBay has a risk exposure from eBay/PayPal.  If I'm selling 1 Oz. gold, I'm going to want some premium over what I can get from selling it locally for accepting that risk. 

1 - the seller has significantly less than FMV in the item and set the start value high enough so that whatever the final bid, they make a profit

That could be true, but it would not negate the reality that getting more elsewhere would result in more profit.  At least, that's how I'd be thinking... I guess that depends on what price the locals in someone's immediate area were buying at.  Around here, I could scrape up more than $1125.  Although... fees are only 6% for sellers who have a Store subscription, so $1250 would leave the seller with $1175 (from which they could subtract about $34 for PayPal fees, leaving $1141).

2 - the item being sold is a loss-leader

Hard to imagine doing gold as a loss-leader, but who am I to judge someone else's promotional efforts...

3 - the seller is simply trying to get rid of the item and takes whatever they can get

4 - the seller took a chance, started low, but not enough interest was generated so they lose money on it

That's true... if they get $1250 for one, $1350 for the next, and $1400 for the previous, there may be merit in continuing low-start auctions when viewed from a bigger picture standpoint.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

28 Julio 2017 - Gold Bullion Coin Pricing.   Heron includes most gold coins in the following comentarios:

1 - The 'cost' to market selling price was always the key factor for Heron.  Heron could 'hold' the coins until the price for gold coins went up enough to make it worth while to sell.    Most of the time, there is enough 'price movement' to enable a gold coin 'holder' to sell.   In order to make a fair profit.  

The other 'items' as set forth by Sr. Smedley are possible situations.   There are many buyers & sellers that get involved and do not know zactly what they are doing!    This could be true for just about any collectible item in the marketplace.

There were times when Heron was selling mucho paper money on eBay that he would list an item for a buck or so over 'cost' just to see what would happen.

This system was used on paper money of same design and year of issue.  Back when Heron was buying 50 or 100 of the same 'note'. 

Sometimes Heron would 'break even' on an individual sale.  However, when we use the 'dollar averaging' system, the profit overall for 'like' item would be high.   Why?  Because some of the same items were purchased by bidders at 3 or 4X Heron's cost per each.   Especially in 2nd half of 1998 and through year 2001.   Super fun years those were for eBay sellers!   Selling an item or two at 'cost' was no big deal back in those years.  

So, the 'bottom line' of overall net profit is what really counted. 

However, gold coins are always an interesting 'subject'.   Sometimes they have been good profit items and a few times not so hot.   And 'luck' could have something to do with it!

Regardos. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

I agree with above posters, and it does seem the lower priced ones sold recently were by private sellers, not major PM Dealers.  So the sellers were either not too schmart, out in the boonies-maybe without good access to decent paying dealer or just wanting the quick fast turnover that eBay can deliver at times. Or like others have said, a combo of sorts. 

Another thought to consider of course is that the item(s) could be fake.   Fake gold perth mint/carded gold is out there.  A dealer in my area got stuck with some.   I have heard that all you have to pay on certain websites is the shipping, and you can own your very own gold bar for about 4 bucks.  I bought Morgan and Peace dollars from a customer yesterday who also sold me a 10 gram JM gold bar who said he had some fakes at home sent to him from one of the websites. I think they are 1 oz, but I can't quite remember on that.   He is going to send me one of the fakes for an example.  If he does I will post a pic of it. 

Bullion is mostly blech anyways.  The buy/sell spread is so low that to be competitive as a dealer you almost have to deal with it for a service to humanity.  I am over it.  And then Minnesota finally got rid of the sales tax, but only on the .999 marked bars and rounds.  But not bullion coins or 90%.  The whole bill is a mess IMO.

I'd much rather deal in 'ol US coins.  Oh in the 80 or so dollars I just bought on is a 1928 plain Peace dollar, so that was exciting as I haven't seen one for awhile.  I checked it on VAM site to make sure it was not messed with (mm removed).  That wasn't too hard this time, only a few varieties that are out there (that they know of really I guess) and this one fit in with VAM 1.  So it should be good to go after the two week hold.  I am looking forward to id'ing the others so it lit (ok a very small) fire under meself to get rolling on stuff again.  I needed the push....

sorry, to blab on, should I delete?  nah, who cares

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

31 Julio 2017 - Hola Heysus!   Your post of 28 Julio:   Very good point re 'fakes'.

Heron did not mention this possibility because he 'forgot aboud it'.  

During Heron's gold bying und zelling years, the 'fake' part of the industry was not super large.   Certainly is a 'big factor' nowadays.  

About 1999, mas o menos, el Heron began to withdraw from gold dealing.   Especially after a dealer he knows well essplained to Heron how that dealer got stuck with about $4,000 bucks worth of counterfeit gold coins.   Counterfeit USA gold coins!   Extremely difficult for even the most educated to ID...!

Heron recognized the fact that he did NOT know enough about the identification of USA gold coins and withdrew to concentrate on world coins and world paper money.   And as you say, the 'spread' between buy & zell was so low it was not an area for high net profits.   Such is life!

Regardos.    

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

@elheron-grande wrote:
Especially after a dealer he knows well essplained to Heron how that dealer got stuck with about $4,000 bucks worth of counterfeit gold coins.   Counterfeit USA gold coins!   

hopefully they were at least made of gold...

i had a counterfeit eagle once... took it and a real eagle that had been harshly cleaned (it was FUGLY) and i think some bits of scrap (maybe not, don't remember) and had a goldsmith melt them down into a small bar for me... i drilled a hole in it and wore it on my keychain for a while... it's long gone tho, wish i still had it...

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

1 Agosto 2017 - Hola Smedley, your post of 31 Julio 1745 hrs:   Yes, the counterfeit gold coins acquired by Heron's dealer Amigo were part gold.   The dealer had the counterfeit coins tested.   It was estimated that they had about 60 to 65% gold content.

There was some 'value added' involved.   Because the counterfeit gold coins were also semi 'collector' items.   Heron does not remember the dates of these USA coins.  The dealer has since crossed the River Styx.   

Well, even at 60 to 65% actual gold content,  the deal was not a total loss! 

Probably better than playing the 'table' at Lost Wages.   Ha!

Regardos.  

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

@jesusrocks3339 wrote:

I agree with above posters, and it does seem the lower priced ones sold recently were by private sellers, not major PM Dealers.  So the sellers were either not too schmart, out in the boonies-maybe without good access to decent paying dealer or just wanting the quick fast turnover that eBay can deliver at times. Or like others have said, a combo of sorts. 

Another thought to consider of course is that the item(s) could be fake.   Fake gold perth mint/carded gold is out there.  A dealer in my area got stuck with some.   I have heard that all you have to pay on certain websites is the shipping, and you can own your very own gold bar for about 4 bucks.  I bought Morgan and Peace dollars from a customer yesterday who also sold me a 10 gram JM gold bar who said he had some fakes at home sent to him from one of the websites. I think they are 1 oz, but I can't quite remember on that.   He is going to send me one of the fakes for an example.  If he does I will post a pic of it. 

Bullion is mostly blech anyways.  The buy/sell spread is so low that to be competitive as a dealer you almost have to deal with it for a service to humanity.  I am over it.  And then Minnesota finally got rid of the sales tax, but only on the .999 marked bars and rounds.  But not bullion coins or 90%.  The whole bill is a mess IMO.

I'd much rather deal in 'ol US coins.  Oh in the 80 or so dollars I just bought on is a 1928 plain Peace dollar, so that was exciting as I haven't seen one for awhile.  I checked it on VAM site to make sure it was not messed with (mm removed).  That wasn't too hard this time, only a few varieties that are out there (that they know of really I guess) and this one fit in with VAM 1.  So it should be good to go after the two week hold.  I am looking forward to id'ing the others so it lit (ok a very small) fire under meself to get rolling on stuff again.  I needed the push....

sorry, to blab on, should I delete?  nah, who cares

Belated long-time no-see "hola" to you...

The fake Pearth bars (both green and black carded) are everywhere...

hopefully they were at least made of gold...

The fake Pearth Bars aren't.     

And the boatload of fake Scottsdale and JM silver bars at 8 bucks a pop that are rampant on a site we all are familiar with don't contain any silver either.

In fact the situation has gotten really ugly now, with mountains of fake Morgan Dollars, fake ASE's, and fake 8 Reales being openly listed (sometimes disclosed as fakes, sometimes not) with impunity.  But I digress...

Well, even at 60 to 65% actual gold content,  the deal was not a total loss! 

Probably better than playing the 'table' at Lost Wages.   Ha!

There are fake American gold coins (pre-'33) in the broader marketplace too.  While "numismatic" fakes typically contained some actual gold, the current crop are gold plated titanium.  One I saw was worked up to look like a polished ex-jewelry double eagle with a removed finding - and extra heavy plating around the sawed area to fool anyone filing into it to test it.  I still digress.

...it does seem the lower priced ones sold recently were by private sellers, not major PM Dealers.  So the sellers were either not too schmart...

They've got the Search on this site really messed up now... don't know if you've spent much time with it lately...

You end up on these landing pages... it's about impossible to see all the listings in any one category.  They've pretty much gone to Item Specifics & Artificial Intelligence driven search results... they curate a list of stuff for you to look at that won't contain a lot of what you wanted to see and will contain a lot of that you didn't want to see.   The whole thing is tilted toward "favored" sellers (the guys who have the special deals with eBay)... that may explain the results you noted.   In bullion they promote the snot out of the major dealers, small time private sellers may not have their listings seen by very many people.

When in Rome I suppose...  as a result of this mess, I was able to pick up several decent size lots of mixed foreign silver here recently, all well below scrap metal value (one for $8.45/Oz., another for $9.21/Oz.).   At least 90% of the coin AUCTION listings now end with no bids... it's sort of a trainwreck... a very long and slow one.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

Yes, gold bullion coins sell closely to their spot price on the day of the sale here on eBay. For the seller, the eBay and PayPal fees will actually eat up about 14-15% of the hammer price for all sellers now that all sellers, including store subscription sellers, have to pay a flat 10% FVF with a few minor tweakings if they jump through a number of eBay hoops.

Selling bullion coins directly to an established B&M dealer will eat you about 5-10% off spot price with the actual percentage being quite variable due to dealer' inventory, walk-in demand, market volatility, liquidity, current and long term trends, significant world events, etc. In our current era where cash is king, tying up funds in bullion may not be the best solution for a professional buyer as it will significantly impact cash flow. So, it pays to shop around to various gold buyers to get their best offer or narrowest spread on the buy/sell percentages.

If you've purchased your bullion coins significantly below the current spot price, selling them on eBay may make some sense. First, you'll get instant liquidity and immediate access to funds. The amount of money you may leave on the table won't be that much if you took them to a dealer, pawnshop, etc., but at least you've saved some time and the hassle of physically shopping them around.

If you've purchased your bullion coins above the current spot price during the bull years for gold and you need to sell them for reasons of liqudity or for better ROI opportunities, a B&M dealer would be the best way to get out by minimizing your loss.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

Surprised no-one's mentioned this yet amongst all the other great points, but it could be related to the time a listing has been running. The price of bullion can change quite relatively dramatically over the course of even just a week, so if someone's put up 1oz of gold on Monday, then 10 days later that price could have changed by over that time. If someone's put up a Buy-it-now then they might not be bothered to keep changing its price every day and be happy with the price they've set, a kind of long-term average that simply gives them the profit/windfall they originally hoped for.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

IT COULD BE THAT THE SELLER HAS A MUCH LOWER COST BASIS THAN CURRECT MARKET SPOT. PERHAPS THEY BOUGHT THE GOLD BULLION WHEN SPOT WAS HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS LOWER. I HAVE PAMP SUISSE GOLD AND AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO 1 OUNCE GOLD COINS THAT I PAID $900 FOR, SPOT TODAY IS $1700, I COULD SELL FOR $1500 AND STILL MAKE GREAT MONEY VERSUS SOMEONE TRYING TO FLIP THEM OVER A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Gold Bullion Coin Prices

Alive.jpg

Message 13 of 13
latest reply