cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europa C&O #331 Poland Olkusz Municipio 3 Groszy (15)97.

29 Julio 2017 - Greetings all coin collectors everywhere!   Heron is pleased to report the acquisition of Europa Central & Oest coin Number 331.   This is reported in order to assist in the continuation of the Coin & PM chatting place.  

The Coin:  Olkusz Municipio of Poland - 3 Groszy - Silver - dated (15)97 -

19mm diameter.  Also known as the Trojak.  A neat name.

Obverse: Center is portrait of Sigismund III.

Legend is: "SIG III DG R POLONI MDL".

Legend in English: Sig III by the Grace of God King of Poland

and Grand Duke of Lithuania.

Reverse:                  III at 12 oclock.

Polish Eagle - Crowned arms of Vasa - Knight horseback.

[COA of Duchy Lithuania].

GROS.   ARG.

TR - R. POLO

NI - [eagle in shield] 97

I    F  [at six oclock].

[I F for Olkusz].

A condensed History:

1299 - First written historical document mention of Olkusz, located in Lesser Poland Province of the Kingdom of Poland.

1772 - 'First big partition of Poland':  Olkusz became part of Austrian Kingdom

of Galicia & Lodomeria.   Galicia coin previously reported by Heron.

1809 - Northern Part of Region became part of Duchy of Warsaw under French

occupation.

Some notes:

On this coin, the '7' of the date is about 40% larger than the '9' of the date.

Does this make this coin extra valuable?  Probably not.  Engravings such as this are common on older coins.   Probably a re-engraved older die.  Opinion.

Large deposits of lead and silver were discovered near Olkusz late middle ages.

These deposits made Olkusz a valuable territory to own.

In 12th Century, Kasimir II established a settlement in the old area of Olkusz for the mining of Zinc.

This coin would normally be graded as VF, however, it is slightly 'bent'.  As many of us are!   Opinion.

This coin was acquired from a local Socal dealer.   A neat coin.  A new territorial addition to Heron's small accumulation.  Great coin collecting fun!

And now some info sources, for those that demand info sources:

Numista- Polish-Lithuania Commonwealth Coins of Sig III.

Googly coin images coins of Olkusz.

Collectors.com-info.

Civitas Coin Galleries info.

Mapa Standardowa-Wolna Encyclopedia.  [No, Heron cannot read Polish, however, he can certainly 'read' a mapa].

Olkusz County - Wikit.

Muenzhandlungbrom.

Olkusz - Wikit.

ZGH - Boleslaw Mining Company.

eBay coins Olkusz.

Muenzenhandlungantykwariatnumizmatyczny.

**Heron was really pleased to acquire this coin.  Finding 'new' additions is becoming very difficult.   Finding this rascal was super nice.  Even a coin in slightly 'bent' condition has a place in someone's accumulation.  Until a better grade is located, quizas? Quien Sabe?..... Coin collecting - what a great hobby!**  

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Is this it?  Maybe I am wayyy off, I do not see a 7 anywhere.

thumb00118.jpg

or is it this one?

thumb00167.jpg

I realize these are super high grade, but just for reference, am I close on this seek n find?

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

31 Julio 2017 - Hola Heysus!  Your post of 30 Julio 0904 hours:   Thank you for your participation!   It is good to have more coin collectors participating here.  

Thank you also for the pics.   The 'first' pic appears to be a non-dated coin.  Heron cannot see a date onnit.   Please remember that Heron is not an esspert on Polish coinage.  Perhaps someone can help us on this coin.   It appears that it could be a coin issued prior to Sig III.  Sig I perhaps?

The 2nd coin pic is absolutely a Sig III issue and very close in reverse design to Heron's Olkusz coin. 

On Heron's coin, in the area of design that would be about 5 oclock, is where the '97' is located.   The 9 and 7 are very close together.  The 7 is larger than the 9.

As you probably know well, this is not uncommon for coins of the 16th century.

Variations in die design are many.   Especially on some of these Polish coins that had the same Obverse design for many years.  

Heron believes that a coin collector could specialize in Polish coins of the 16th and 17th centuries and spend an entire lifetime of study.   And still find different die

issues...!  

However, this is all for FUN!   And the research puts more info into an old brain.

A super hobby for a lifetime!    Thanks again.   Regardos. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply