cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to store american silver eagles Long term

hello,

would like to get advice/opinions on the Best way to store american silver eagles for long term storage? is it best to put each coin in a separate plastic holder, or in a tube in a "monster box" I read somewhere that its no a good idea to store coins touching each other? 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Hello Dodgerblue!  Yes it is not a good idea to store coins touching one another. This is an opinion.

Dodgerblue, el Heron became a Dodgers fan [Brooklyn Dodgers] in 1947.

Win some - lose some and 'wait until next year'!

Hang tough.

xx

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

airtights are a good option. use gloves or at least kleenex when handling by the edges. Oil from the skin can lead to toning/tarnish on the coins. Many tubes of older date Eagles have darkening of the edges but when you pop open the tube you can see they are BU.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Kleenex is abrasive, and fumbling around with coins using one is a good way to drop and rim ding them... if you're going to go to that trouble, use cotton gloves.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

hello,

would like to get advice/opinions on the Best way to store american silver eagles for long term storage? is it best to put each coin in a separate plastic holder, or in a tube in a "monster box" I read somewhere that its no a good idea to store coins touching each other? 

Bullion is bullion and it really does not matter much at all. I would not waste much time worrying about storage other than using the mint issued tubes and perhaps a dry place or the safe. Protecting your 2008(for example) with extra care and the hope of keeping a MS-69 from becoming a MS-67/8 isn't worth the hassle. Now the collectible ASE's, that is another matter altogether.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

An Intercept Shield album kept at a constant temperature in a dry location should work very well.

The Intercept Shield album can be replaced with Air-Tites as long as the other storage conditions remain the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

thanks for everyones response and help, i appreciate it. if i use the mint issued tubes, wont that make the coins touch each other and long term ruin the coins condition? or are the coin tubes a safe way to store coins long term? thanks

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

thanks for everyones response and help, i appreciate it. if i use the mint issued tubes, wont that make the coins touch each other and long term ruin the coins condition? or are the coin tubes a safe way to store coins long term? thanks

I've opened original bank wrapped rolls that were 40 years old and the coins were as pristine as they were when rolled. As long as you don't bounce them around or get them damp the tubes from the mint will work just fine for long term storage.

Tom

Photobucket

Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s

----------

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

New coin collector here. And silver investor too. Thanks for posting this up as I was wondering about the same thing.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@daveroo wrote:

An Intercept Shield album kept at a constant temperature in a dry location should work very well.

The Intercept Shield album can be replaced with Air-Tites as long as the other storage conditions remain the same.

There is someone who put intercept technology into small bags that are big enough to put slabs in (which are not air tight).  So I bought some and have put each slab in a bag.  American coins are much less problematic than Chinese or Mexican silver coins but even American coins can have problems too.  The company is new and I think they maybe the only ones putting the technology into small bags.  They also have larger bags that may fit around rolls or even slab holders. I'm not sure if it will work but I thought I'd try it.  This guy advertises on the Chinese Coin Forum.

http://www.coinarmour.com/

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

It just more bullion. Wrap them in a sock and bury them in the garden where the revenoors and burglars won't find them.

If you die before you dig them up, you'll not be in a position to worry.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

The direct fit airtight capsules are your best bet. One other advantage of using an direct fit capsule is that it's a good way to weed out any fakes, they can't fit right and weigh the correct amount at the same time.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@silver2014eagle wrote:
The direct fit airtight capsules are your best bet. One other advantage of using an direct fit capsule is that it's a good way to weed out any fakes, they can't fit right and weigh the correct amount at the same time.

You are not taking into account the better made Chinese fakes that have the same diameter, same thickness and same weight. They learn from their mistakes and change their production. Some of the highest grade fakes by them are getting by the experts for a while.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

also, airtites are notoriously difficult to store and handle in quantity... they slide everywhere... the only thing i've found to hold them even remotely is chipboard 2x2 boxes...

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Thanks you davidgalston for the tip.

In order to weed out fakes you need to run more than a couple of tests, you need to examine the coin closely, the more eagles you handle, the easier it becomes to spot fakes, use a magnet for the slide test, check the weight, size and thickness, (remember that eagles do vary in weight but not by much), do the ping test.

I think I covered them all, but if I left any out please post for all to read. I did not mention the specific gravity test because it's a little tricky, and if the Chinese fakes can weigh the right amount and still fit in an direct fit holder, then this test might not be effective.

My best suggestion is to do the tests, but also know what the coins should look like.

The airtights are a bit hard to keep together on less you can put put them in a container as a roll.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply