cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Problems Shipping to India?

Sorry if this one's already been answered.  I tried to use the search function, but it seems to operate differently than before.

I'm trying to mostly ship to countries where I can insure, but have an item with potential bidders in India inquiring (and they are not on Shipsurance's list). I assume that if I send it registered, it could still go missing, and I would be out of luck? 

Has anyone had experience shipping there?  I know some of the experts here prefer not to ship outside U.S., but so far I have had nothing go missing, even including Colombia and Republic of Georgia. 

Thanks.    

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

MSG 11 TDZ:  el Heron never had any problemas with H.K.  Shipped and received a lot of stuff to and from H.K. before and after the Brits returned that small chunk of R.E. to China.  [Now much more green than red China].   Apparently each international shipper has his or her own experiences with various countries.   Some good and some not so good!  Have fun! 

xx

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

AF

Your post is most valid.

I have found that most International buyers especially those from Asia buy in large lots. Thus increasing the value of the shipment.

Just feel more secure having a DHL signature received confirmation rather than a USPS Tracking number.

Plus if there is a loss in the delivery DHL will cover it.

Just my opinion, not the only one.

Bob

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

Hi guys

I am an Indian citizen and there are a lot of things on ebay which are actually missing on Indian ecommerce sites, with eBay security the buyer is secured yes at times I feel the seller is at risk.

But none the less, it is always win win for both buyer and seller if you both use your brains. I recently read how a guy sold a PS 4 poster to a person for 500$ stating that it was a PS4. (No Indians were involved)

When it comes to shipping to India, I would like to inform you that normal posts will usually take months to get clearance from customs if you send an electronic item. I was sent a gift from GOOGLE Inc. (Wireless Mouse and all) which took a month to get clearance from customs office. (and was opened by custom/checking authorities)

There is a lot of abuse and misuse via postage hence I donot blame the checking authorities for the delay I think neither should you, I personally have sent my courier to universities in Canda, UK, Australia, Germany, New Zealand via DHL and it took about 7-14 days no issues with the official documents. Same was the case when Universities like Waterloo send me their documents.

A friend of mine sent me a perfume from Canada via Canadian Post it took just 15 days and the box reached home safe though the RSVP wooden box was slightly broken from sides.

Things which are safe to send in India ==> Books, Magazines, Comics, Cd's, clothings, collectibles like stamps, drawings (not antiques), are safe

Things which I feel are always checked by custom authorities and often opened and repacked ==> anything that is hollow like an statue, metal parts, electronic items, toys, antiques (NEVER SEND ANTIQUES specially of metal), medicines, perfumes, cosmetics etc.

Places where you should think before shipping (Jammu & Kashmir, Andoman Nicobar Islands, North Eastern states, like Assam, Meghalaya, Sikkim, Bihar, Chhatisgarh, Jharkhand anything that is not a capital city is a problem because of poor infrastructure in these regions).

It is just for security reasons these things are checked hence sellers who are selling non risky items I think should not fear the loss of shipping to India, specially if you are using a company like DHL, FedEx or American Post  I can personally guarantee they will reach India safely specially in northern, western and souther states.

Hope that helps and may be some other Indian friends on eBay might have a different opinion about this.

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

Thank you for posting Neeshu, it's always interesting to hear from someone from another part of the world. It's not often we are able to get advice from someone living in the country we are talking about shipping to.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

Smiley FrustratedWow and I thought I have only problem with shipping, even the bad feebacks about shipping and handlig 🙂

Basically when you have to get  shipping label  on USPS website ( because eBay doesn't  offer it) it spell trouble. Even Shipinsurance doesn't pay for it .

@daveydempsey wrote:

I ship worldwide but after a few scams and complaints about shipping costs after they had bid, I blocked India along with Italy.

Its sad having to tar everyone with the same brush as the majority of buyers are honest.

30-40% of my sales go to the US, I`ve also had several scammers from there too.

Most postal services worldwide have been fairly efficient and although several US sellers don`t believe it, items can be tracked if you log onto the recipients Track & Trace postal system and enter your tracking number using the English language facility or any online translator.

I can track to the point of delivery in Russia or Saudi Arabia just as easily as I can to anywhere in the US.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

I am glad you appreciated the words jonhy, I was heart broken when members on ebay did not give heed to my request of selling comics to India. 😞 I hope some of them will send it now.

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

SO big of a story here oh boy. 1. the buyer won an iphone, they live in india 2. iphones are hard to come by there and triple the worth 3. either my item got stolen from customs, but by the sound of it they totally scammed me. They demanded I ship the lowest charge way which by the way HAS NO TRACKING once it leaves the USA. I didnt think anything of it because i was naive and it was my first time shipping international. They opened a case against me claiming they neve got their item, I called ebay because the buyer wasnt responding to my messages after they opened the case. Ebay said i can escalate it when the time runs out, thursday, today. i get an email saying they closed the case and refunded the buyer PARTIAL amount....i look and they **bleep**ing refunded the buyer FULL AMOUNT!!!!!!! I am out of an iphone, i am also out of +$300!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so livid its beyond my brain right now. I told ebay on the phone how upset i was because they didnt even care that they told me to ship lowest price because THAT HAS NO TRACKING, i treid messages the buyer FOUR TIMES in the week span of the open case, and then they get a full refund?!?!?!?! They said they reported the buyer for FRAUD, and only was able to refund me $30.00, the listing fee. **bleep**. SO MAD. never ever ever ever ship to India, or international for that matter ESPECIALLY if its a high price item!!!!!!

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

i never had this problem, but problems of other types are why i quickly stopped shipping overseas... it's just not worth the time or trouble...

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Sorry to hear you got taken.  I would not have taken the risk on a $300 sale to ship with no tracking.  

Last item I shipped to India, the buyer asked to please ship the coin wrapped so that nobody could feel it through the envelope.  It arrived safely.  I've shipped a few inexpensive items there (under $10).  I've lost one international shipment that had no tracking.  out of maybe 50 or 75 (I don't keep track).   

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

@californiavintagedesires wrote:

I am so livid its beyond my brain right now. I told ebay on the phone how upset i was because they didnt even care that they told me to ship lowest price because THAT HAS NO TRACKING, i treid messages the buyer FOUR TIMES in the week span of the open case, and then they get a full refund?!?!?!?! They said they reported the buyer for FRAUD, and only was able to refund me $30.00, the listing fee. **bleep**. SO MAD. never ever ever ever ship to India, or international for that matter ESPECIALLY if its a high price item!!!!!!

This is either a game your buyer palyed to see if they coud get a free iPhone (required you to "play along" and ship without tracking)

OR

The iPhone really never got delivered.

You an not prove which one of these is correct - the fact that your buyer is not responding to your emails proves nothing.

eBay CS is notorious for giving out false information.  There is no reason whatsoever for a buyer to be refunded only partially for an item not received.  NONE.

Let's see - eBay will refund a buyer for items not received, unless the seller can prove delivery with online veiwable tracking.  You want them to change that rule to add "unless the buyer does not respond to emails".  You are fortunate that they refunded the $30 final value fee (not listing fee).

@californiavintagedesires

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

FALSE, the buyer somehow ignored all my **bleep**ing messages after they opened the case, and yet THEY logged onto a computer and ESCALATED it when they knew I would be asleep, guess what time they did that? 1:30 AM my time.

**bleep**. that. **bleep**.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

I am also aware that it wasnt a smart move not including tracking number but you know what? it wouldnt have mattered anyways in the end. NEver again with India, ever. So mad to this day about it. ebay even filed that person as FRAUDULENT and let them keep their money. no.

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

@californiavintagedesires wrote:

I am also aware that it wasnt a smart move not including tracking number but you know what? it wouldnt have mattered anyways in the end. NEver again with India, ever. So mad to this day about it. ebay even filed that person as FRAUDULENT and let them keep their money. no.

I am telling you that ignoring email or eBay messages is NO PROOF that they received the iPhone.

I am also telling you that eBay CS may or may not have "filed that person as FRAUDULENT".  They are notorious for telling you anything you want to hear to get you off the phone.

@californiavintagedesires

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

I am from Assam and i always order many things from europe and just saying but the infrastructure here is very up to date and we have DHL and Fedex and almost all courier service -_- 

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

I use to live in India, and I know for sure I would not trust a country that would let me live there. For those who were guessing, I am still alive. It was up and down for quite a while, but as of late the plans are that I am going to hang around for some time now.

David

Message 30 of 35
latest reply