cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Problems Shipping to India?

Sorry if this one's already been answered.  I tried to use the search function, but it seems to operate differently than before.

I'm trying to mostly ship to countries where I can insure, but have an item with potential bidders in India inquiring (and they are not on Shipsurance's list). I assume that if I send it registered, it could still go missing, and I would be out of luck? 

Has anyone had experience shipping there?  I know some of the experts here prefer not to ship outside U.S., but so far I have had nothing go missing, even including Colombia and Republic of Georgia. 

Thanks.    

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

I ship international, but won't ship there... I suspect Shipsurance has a good reason for not having India on their list.  But I have no firsthand experience.  I know Davey ships there (or did). 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

I've never shipped there but it is not a country usually warned about on the boards. I have shipped several times to brazil which is one of the countries warned about with no problems. I've shipped mainly videogames and I fold up a home made box that is sturdy but unprofessional looking. It looks like how poor people mail garbage.

For coins I would use one of my ghetto mailers marked numismatic supplies and a low value. If people assume it's a DVD no one will steal open or pay it much mind, but the description is still truthful.

Registered mail only tracks to the airport, it might continue to track in western europe but probably not india and it screams steal me. I'd ship boring first class. If you feel insurance is neccessary find a third party company that provides it.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

The only Asian country that I'd even consider shipping to is Japan.

For all the others I don't trust their Postal System.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 4 of 35
latest reply

I've never shipped there but it is not a country usually warned about on the boards.

Neither is Mexico, but that's not because there are no problems, it's mostly because virtually everyone has them both blocked.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 5 of 35
latest reply

daveroo wrote:

The only Asian country that I'd even consider shipping to is Japan.

For all the others I don't trust their Postal System.

Shipsurance covers Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea and China.  The last one surprised me.  Anyway, that's a pretty short list.  

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

I ship worldwide but after a few scams and complaints about shipping costs after they had bid, I blocked India along with Italy.

Its sad having to tar everyone with the same brush as the majority of buyers are honest.

30-40% of my sales go to the US, I`ve also had several scammers from there too.

Most postal services worldwide have been fairly efficient and although several US sellers don`t believe it, items can be tracked if you log onto the recipients Track & Trace postal system and enter your tracking number using the English language facility or any online translator.

I can track to the point of delivery in Russia or Saudi Arabia just as easily as I can to anywhere in the US.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

These should I ship questions usually come down to risk management, a subject not taught in schools so we learn it on the streets.

If the item is of the nature that you wouldn't mind giving it away free then the only reason not to ship is a psychological one. The fact that we as humans feel good giving someone a gift but feel awful getting robbed scamed or victimized. If the item is of the nature that it's loss would be intolerable then is should not be sold on ebay at all. It's everything in between that presents a math problem. What are the chances of loss and how much extra money can be made by offering it to that particular market. If I could sell a $25 item for $50 to India I'll take that bet all day long but a $25 item for $26 no way.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

I've sent a few coins to india. No problems so far except for one that had to cancel because of to high price on registered shipping.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

impalajohnny wrote:

These should I ship questions usually come down to risk management, a subject not taught in schools so we learn it on the streets.

If the item is of the nature that you wouldn't mind giving it away free then the only reason not to ship is a psychological one. The fact that we as humans feel good giving someone a gift but feel awful getting robbed scamed or victimized. If the item is of the nature that it's loss would be intolerable then is should not be sold on ebay at all. It's everything in between that presents a math problem. What are the chances of loss and how much extra money can be made by offering it to that particular market. If I could sell a $25 item for $50 to India I'll take that bet all day long but a $25 item for $26 no way.

Great angle ... Yeah, every once in a while I need to step back and think that way.  Most of what I sell on Ebay are items bought for under $5 as a kid (or for the baseball cards, 2 cents if I remember correctly... that counts the gum as free).  In essence, my cost of goods is zero, so I suppose I could almost look at it like the "wouldn't mind giving it away for free" case you mention.  Instead, I puzzle over it as a trade off of a potentially better opportunity with higher risk.  Maybe that's just shades of gray ... But the feedback from guys on the DB who have sold hundreds or even thousands of items internationally gives me a more meaningful input into that decision, since I've only sold a couple of dozen items internationally, and could easily underestimate the risk based on that experience. 

Anyhow, I've put a block for India on the item in question, but have a bid from South Korea (I can at least insure for that destination).  Out of the frying pan into the fire?  Smiley Very Happy 

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

By way of update on Asian destinations ...

Shipped an inexpensive coin ($10 plus $6.95 for shipping) on July 23 to Hong Kong, and have already received feedback.  Not bad for a 10,000 mile trip. 

Yeah, that's a sample of 1, which makes it "anecdote" rather than statistics, but thought I would tack it onto this thread.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Hola TDZ: el Heron has shipped to 55 countries.  Hindustan is not one a them.  el Heron always believed the risk was high.  A personal OPINION and that is why el Heron never lost any shipments to Hindustan!

xx

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

II have sold Indian coins to India, mainly East India Company stuff in nice condition for ten  times what I would expect, and may have been lucky but never had any losses.

I use the method advised by impala, basic airmail, boring description, low value and even hand write all labels, nothing to show it is a business item. Even I'd not want to steal or tax it and I know what is in it.

US registered mail is useless abroad, total waste of money.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

I'll ship anywhere in the world as long as DHL operates in the country being sold.

Walking away from International business is a personal decision. Most likely based on past experiences.

First off you must list that you are taking insurance on International sales. This seems to scare off most scammers. Charge enough to cover all you expenses including insurance.

If the buyer feels the shipping is to high, don't sell them.

Never use USPS for International. You have zero tracking after your package leaves the USA.

Have found DHL to be the most desirable International shipper. They are the biggest in Europe and Asia. Plus they will track the package down to the final signature from the buyer.

Recently shipped to Portugal USPS International First Class and insured. Buyer claimed package never received. Contacted USPS to file claim. They gave me a claim, number and informed me that they were looking into the matter and working with the Portuguese Postal Authorities.

Contacted the scammer, gave him the claim number and informed him that his local Postal Authorities would be contacting him. Amazingly the same day I sent the message the package suddenly appeared and positive feedback left by buyer.

If you wish International trade it's easy. Just be sure to cover you a__ in all scenarios.

Bob

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Never use USPS for International. You have zero tracking after your package leaves the USA.

Always use USPS FCMI for international stuff. you can insure it cheaply with U-pic or Shipsurance, it does not matter in the least that it is not tracked, it is heresy to say so on a USA board where tracking and the Holy Virgin are about equal in the Faith stakes, but tracking is not a magic charm, is useless for genuinely lost items, and usually costs too much to be economic internationally.

Never use a courier unless the weight is too heavy for FCMI.

Don't sell stuff that is valued mainly as bullion, you won';t get enough premium to make it worthwhile.

Always practice defensive shipping. Never mention insurance.

The rest of the world does not track run of the mill postal items, and anything with a barcode and special packaging stands out like gold in a bag of coppers to a thief.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 15 of 35
latest reply