cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Change of Pace - Terceira Island - X Reis - 1830 - Maria II in Exile

Greetings to all coin collectors, every where!   In an effort to keep this dying coin

& paper money chatting board alive, for perhaps a few more months, Heron is very

pleased to report the acquisition of a Copper coin that has been on Heron's want list since early 1981.   Here it is:

Terceira Island - X Reis - 1830 - Copper - 32mm dia. - Round [circular disc].

Obverse:  Crowned Coat of Arms.  Legend: MARIA II DEI GRATIA..

Reverse:  Value & Date in wreath ... X above 1830.

Legend: ..contued fm Obv ...REGINA PORTUGALAE ET ALGARBORIUM.

This is truly a 'neat' coin and fits into Heron's favorite accumulation segmento.

It is a large Copper coin.  It is a wartime issue [ Portuguesa civil war].   It has neat Coat of Arms.

It is an issue by a 'Royal' in Exile.   It is an 'island' issue.  Wow, it has a lot going for it!    It is truly fun to draw a line through this 'wanted' item...!

To review photo, this coin can be found listed under Azores.  Well, it is listed under Azores in Heron's copy of the KM Catalog of World Coins.

Info Sources:

Terceira - wik.

KM Catalog World Coins.

Encyclopedia Britannica [Gran Britannica].

**This coin collecting hobby is certainly a super fun hobby!  And for a lifetime!**

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Congrats on the acquisition!

I was intrigued by the legend "REGINA PORTUGALAE ET ALGARBORIUM" which sounds like "Queen of Portugal and the Algarve," because today The Algrave refers to the southern strip of Portugal along the Atlantic coast, famous for beach resorts and picturesque foshing villages.  I wound up there once by mistake, when I was trying to get to Lisbon by bus from southerm Spain.

Since this legend would be saying something like "President of the United States and Florida," I looked into the history, and found this.

In late Middle Ages, the new Christian kingdoms of Castile (Spain) and Portugal were both waging war to push the Muslims who had occupied the Iberian Peninsula for 500 or so years, back into northern Africa.  In the early 13th century, both the kings of Portugal and the king of Castile laid claim to the Algarve area.  When it was granted to Portugal by treaty in 1267, this was added to the royal title f the portuguese monarchs, and seems to have remained there for some 500 years before being dropped later in the 19th century. I checked photos of Azores coins I used to have in my collection, and "Algarborium" was still present in 1865 under Louis I, but not in 1901 under Carlos I.

As always, elheron, coins bring us muy interessante things about the world and its history! 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Congrats on the acquisition!

I was intrigued by the legend "REGINA PORTUGALAE ET ALGARBORIUM" which sounds like "Queen of Portugal and the Algarve," because today The Algrave refers to the southern strip of Portugal along the Atlantic coast, famous for beach resorts and picturesque foshing villages.  I wound up there once by mistake, when I was trying to get to Lisbon by bus from southerm Spain.

Since this legend would be saying something like "President of the United States and Florida," I looked into the history, and found this.

In late Middle Ages, the new Christian kingdoms of Castile (Spain) and Portugal were both waging war to push the Muslims who had occupied the Iberian Peninsula for 500 or so years, back into northern Africa.  In the early 13th century, both the kings of Portugal and the king of Castile laid claim to the Algarve area.  When it was granted to Portugal by treaty in 1267, this was added to the royal title f the portuguese monarchs, and seems to have remained there for some 500 years before being dropped later in the 19th century. I checked photos of Azores coins I used to have in my collection, and "Algarborium" was still present in 1865 under Louis I, but not in 1901 under Carlos I.

As always, elheron, coins bring us muy interessante things about the world and its history! 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Terceira.jpg

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

29 Junio 2017 - Hola TDZ, your post of 21 Junio 1449 hrs:

Thank you for the comentarios.   Heron has not 'researched' mucho in the area of Portugal.   The info you posted is very helpful for both history & geography!

Many thanks. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply