cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40th anniversary edition whitman coin

I would like information on this coin. Is it worth anything?  If I should put it on ebay what price should I start witht?

On one side of the coin it says Whitman Coin Products /one troy oz..999 fine silver/Racine Wisconsin. The other side says 40th Anniversary Edition 1946-1986. In the center square it says A GUIDE BOOK OF UNITED STATES COINS. There is something else written below this, but I can't make it out.

I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It's the author's name.  R. S. Yeoman.  He wrote the blue book and red book for many decades. 

Don't clean the coin.  It's got great patina and should bring a nice premium, should you decie to sell it.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it very much.

If this was your coin and you put it up for auction what would you start the price at? Or if you put it as a fixed price what would you ask for it?

I am a 74 year old woman and this was part of my late husband collection. I live on social security and hopefully I can sell a few coins and paper money to get by each month.

I have looked and looked for information on some of the things, but seem to have no luck. I am not the smartest person when it comes to using computer or doing research. I just don't want to get ripped off to bad and I know there are people out here that will. Thanks for any help.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

If your item looks similar to the photo below, you have a silver round, not a coin. The spot silver price today is approximately $17.80/troy ounce. I would suggest listing it at spot + eBay fees + 5-10% profit and see what happens.

American Silver Eagles contain the same amount of silver and usually sell at a premium. You can purchase them on eBay under $24 with free shipping.

Whitman Round.jpg

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

also, there are those who collect the Red Book who may want to add this to their collection... it's a nice piece of numismatic history...

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate your help more than you can imagine. May have other items I have questions later on. Thanks

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks a million. I thought it was a coin . So I just put in ad Silver Round instead of coin. Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply