cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1965 copper dime-anything?

Copper colored like a peeny. Anything special?

copdime 001.JPGcopdime 003.JPGcopdime 004.JPGcopdime 005.JPG

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

possibly... can you get an accurate weight in grams to one or two decimal places?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Looks like some kind of chemical exposure to the dime. Intentional or accidental?

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

No, unfortunately I do not have a scale like that.
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@country-road-collectibles wrote:
No, unfortunately I do not have a scale like that.

come back when you find somebody with one... getting a correct weight is the first step...

if the weight is correct then it's simply discolored (either intentionally or not)... if it's not correct then the next step depends on if it's high or low...

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Okay,will do. Thank you. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I'd suggest taking it to a jewelry store - they have the proper scales to weigh it. Or even a pawn shop.  But, I agree - weight is a MUST - it could be a regular dime, altered by fire, water, chemicals, or whatever. Before staking your selling reputation on it, you have to be sure.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

A jewelry store, okay that's good. I wasn't sure where I could find a scale like that. I will bring a regular dime and this one and see if any difference. Thanks

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Environmental damage, it has been out in the elements for a while !!!

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I'm not sure. I have kept it in my sewing tin (a round tin that I keep thread, pins,needles etc in) for the last 20 years.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@rottnrog wrote:

I've seen many coins that look just like this, recovered from the local water park.  I suspect whatever they're using to treat the water (chlorine, etc.) is responsible for the discoloration. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

As soon as I can get to a jewelry store, I will post the weight. I live in the middle of nowhere, and there isnt one close by. 😉 I didn't want anybody to think I have abandoned this post. Thanks all.
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Just a thought, but there are some inexpensive digital jeweler's scales for sale here on eBay that may be cheaper than the gas you would use driving to the nearest jewelery store.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Great idea! Wouldn't hurt to have one around here anyways. Thanks.
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

@rottnrog wrote:

I've seen many coins that look just like this, recovered from the local water park.  I suspect whatever they're using to treat the water (chlorine, etc.) is responsible for the discoloration. 

I think that's the best explanation. 

While cupronickel coinage alloys are much more tarnish resistant than copper, that usually refers to atmospheric exposure.  In water, you will probably have the effects of weak acids (carbonic, hypochlorous like ted_200 mentions, etc) speeding it up.

It's the same with rust formation.   

Message 15 of 21
latest reply