cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1793 Large Cent chain - What Sheldon type is mine please help

Good morning fine folks,  I have a Nice rare 1793 Large Cent I would like to chat about today and being I am not the coin guy my father was and I have limited info to go off of I am curious if anyone knows what Sheldon type I have.  I know it's grade is G4.  I think it is Sheldon 3 but not sure.  It is not easy getting a great quality picture if this isn't good enough I can go out and get a quick few with the sunlight on her.  I have some knowledge of coins maybe a year or so of studying, but my father who is no longer around left me these and I know this is the crown jewel when it comes to US mint so I want to be absoulty certain what I have. Massive difference on Price tag between Sheldon 1 and the others. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also I am on the fence about listing it soon so I want as much info your willing to share.  

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

chain 001.JPGchain 002.JPGchain 003.JPG

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I would discard the values there listed, just trying to get a visual of the placement of the reverse lettering.   I really do not know much about this coin type, so it is interesting to me.

It might actually grade an AG, but what do I know?? 

Anyways, since it looks like the one that says America Reverse which Sheldon is that?  Will the real Sheldon please stand up..

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I believe we both own the same book. US coin Digest ? The looks like the page I referenced as well. I appreciate the responsce back I can feel how close I am to finding it. I really think it is a S3 but I would be kicking myself is somehow I a wrong about this. I want to list this either tomarrow or next weekend, I am just so worried someone would buy it then comeback and say you mis- represented this item and they would want a refund this is clearly a S2 can't you see that they may say to me.  Rock and a hard place I am in. Thanks for your reserech tho ! Wanna buy it hahaha

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I have a few books I keep handy here and at work, the one was just a basic Whitman Red Book and the other Whitman ANA Grading standards.   It is an intesting topic, and one I haven't come across before (unfortunately) but maybe someday. 

Great coin, and I think the obverse is great and sometimes the one side is better than the rest.  When the reverse is better I call it a mullet (hee hee business in the front, party in the back) but this is a reverse mullet, so I guess that is more today anyways. 

So as far as the grade and because it does have all the requirements designated in the ANA and because the obverse seems to have all the requirements you may not want to represent the grade, IDK, that is the part that is difficult.   I did see a comp on eBay that brought over $1500 for a lot of 4 coins and one was the large cent chain reverse that looked like a slug.  And the other were holed coins.   So a flatsie can bring really dough, but I don't know, I think the really difficult part is that the coin is not graded.  Mostly not authenticated.  So many of them with decent reverse details are quite flat on the obverse...  but oh well, that is where it gets a little dicey.

Are you planning on auction or BIN?  Have you sold big ticket items on eBay before? 

Closest thing like this I have dealt with like this is pattern coins and a heraldic gold eagle.  Oh and a 2 cent error coin, and the gold George Widener Medal I sold.  But I used Heritage, our shop, sending to another dealer, and museum for that.   I get nervous using eBay for items over about $1200.  And even then, I have learned to use registered insured with signature confirmation on big ticket items.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Yes, I have sold some bigger items before.  My previous Ebay account I sold indian bead works, art, Coins, Japanese prints, Cameras, Fossils, Gem stones, Sports memorbilia, things of that nature. I just recently got back to selling things in the last 6 months and selling smaller items. I missed it too much to be away.  

As for the Coin itself I have been in contact with someone on cointalk blog the last few hours and he claims I do have the S3. What he is saying is that the flow of the hair became greater over there course of the different strikes and also another key factor was the positioning of the date. He said that is likely the dead give away.  Another factor is the thickness in the links can also help determin what coin you posess if it's not to worn and when he says thickness he was talking really tiny MM amounts. So it's intresting to get peoples insight .

This collection was orgianly my fathers that he collected over the course of a 60 year period I have done some collecting on my own I love the morgan dollar so I was big on that for sometime. I have so many hobbies and I jump around alot its hard to keep up and stick to just one. Sadly when my father passed 10 years ago alot of things he didn't price or keep in books even some loose stuff that has taken my years to catelog and price and grade. Hundreds of thousands of coins.  He went through a phase where he looked foriegn stuff and one day he had enough of them and gave them to me. I was probaly 10 or 15 years old so I never knew much about them till the last few years.  Sadly my father was a smart man that did alot of stupid things like not leaving a will and testimate even haha. 

If I was to sell this coin I would auction yes starting at .99 cents like I did years ago with the other. If I remember correctly it fetched 4500.00 maybe or a little less I know it was around 4k.   I did only certified mail signiture only overnight and I think I charged around 30 to ship maybe 35. 

I have a 1559 hammered shilling I was thinking about listing also, but one issue I have with it is it was cleaned so I would have to make that part of the impact of the sale. It's a super nice coin just has that sheen like someone took acetone to it lightly. 

So if there are any coins you are deseperatly thinking of that your having trouble finding let me know maybe I have that special item and we can make a deal. 

Thanks again for the input you have been extremely helpful 

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

interesting legacy your father left.  I like the artwork.  reminds me of Klimt.

Glad you found some answers on the other coin board.  This one used to be way more active, but ya know, 'nuff said. 

That auction should be a real nail biter.  Grab the popcorn...if I think of it I'll tune in...

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Agreed, I have been watching some of these auctions lately where it will be say 500.00 dollars with 10 mintues to go and the price shoots up to 3-4 grand in the last minute. Pure Craziness.

I really like your store. I had a good look at alot of items you are selling and you and my father had alot in common mostly the jewelery.  Other then being a police officer, artist, Indian Store owner he was also a jeweler cramed in there for 25 years.  Let me ask you do you know anyone that has intreasts in a 88 ct cober pety austrailian mine opal?  I posted a photo.  Just curious you never know who you come across that finds intrests in items like this. Been having a hellva time finding a buyer because of it's size. 

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@michaebrau-29 wrote:

Agreed, I have been watching some of these auctions lately where it will be say 500.00 dollars with 10 mintues to go and the price shoots up to 3-4 grand in the last minute. Pure Craziness.

not when you consider how few survive... i never should have sold mine... probably my greatest numismatic regret...

Been having a hellva time finding a buyer because of it's size. 

i know what you mean...  i have a 22 carat that doesn't seem to generate much interest... but i dunno if it's from Coober Pedy or Lightning Ridge - the coin dealer i bought it from in Cairns didn't know...

MVC-645F

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Could be andamooka or white cliffs.  They are all close by.  I have currently an 18 plus ct listed in my store but no biters.  Opal buying on Ebay can be subjective.  I would love to get my hands on some black or ethopian. I have two really small ones.  This is the one I have in my store currently. I like the one you shared nice shape and matrix. 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Also I am no expert or anything just want to point on one thing I know about lighting ridge. It' typically has more dark composite and if stones come out that are lighter tend to be more jelly then solid like you have. So if I had to lean one direction or another I think towards cober or andermooka.
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

LOL, it could be from Ayers Rock for all i know...

i bought it in 2002 but didn't know enough then to ask where it was from... i contacted him thru ebay last year, and although he remembered me (i doubt he gets many US servicemen for customers) he didn't remember the opal...

Message 15 of 23
latest reply