cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple stain removal

This may have  been posted before, if so I apologize for the repeat. I usually skip over the stain removal posts b/c I can't find the ingredients posted.

Someone posted this one on FB today. It's just Dawn, peroxide, and baking soda.  They had it as a mixture but i just poured a little of each on two different spots on two items today.  I had already tried shout, fels naptha, dawn alone, and the stain removal that comes with Dryel. They didn't budge.  I let them soak, rubbed it in, and let them set about 2 hours. 

Stains are gone.  No sign of them.

If you are like my husband and you have to measure everything, it's

1 tsp. Dawn dishwashing detergent
3-4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide
couple tablespoons of baking soda.

Scrub on with a brush. 

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Simple stain removal

all4saleny
Thrill-Seeker

I swear I had nothing to do with it!!  I even wrote and asked if they would pin the newbies thread!

LOL, after I saw this thread pinned, I was going to ask if you could do that!

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Message 16 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

LOL, after I saw this thread pinned, I was going to ask if you could do that!

They don't even read it after I post the link in a reply.  Oh well.

"Life's hard. It's even harder if you're stupid" ~ John Wayne
Message 17 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

I think one of the pinks wants to have some Delta-babies.  2 posts pinned!

LOL  :^O  It is good to have a "stain" thread pinned at the top.  Other boardies can add their favorite recipe... or stain posts in other threads can be added to this one.  

Message 18 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

I say take advantage of the pin and build this into a laundry tips thread. Posters can self report their superfluous comments to clean it up, and we could keep it going as a how-to thread. There used to be good one at the top of the vintage board, but it really got too big and overwhelming, and now it's in the basement anyway.

Message 19 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

My method for stain removal is much like the Hippocratic Oath...actually Corpus...First do no harm.

No extensive measures where taken in the removal of this stain. Always start with the first step, like washing/rinsing something. Why make it more difficult than it has to be?

“You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams
Message 20 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

I just came across something that I picked up last week at the TS. 

It's called "Awesome Stain Remover"  a bar of soap stain remover. 

I just removed a stain with it that came out.  I tried Fels Naptha and it did not budge. 

Continuous bargains found in my store.
"GREEN $$$$$$$$$$$ to all
Message 21 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

This similar homemade cleaner works better than anything commercially available and costs only pennies! It will quickly remove the most gunky water spots and soap scum and it sanitizes as it cleans. I use it on the everything in the bathroom and kitchen!

In an empty spray bottle, put 1-2 inches of Dawn. Fill with white vinegar. Shake gently. Spray. Let it sit 5 minutes or so. Wipe. Done. 😄

Message 22 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

thanx for  the great Info  🙂

Message 23 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

Thanks for the post!  Had a stain last week and remembered to try it, but it was just the 

hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. I made a paste with it and let it sit.  It took the complete stain away, and didnt lighten any of the other colors on a bright Lilly Pullitzer skirt I have.

I imagine it would start to lift out color if it sat too long, though.

Again, thanks!!!

Message 24 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

This may or may not help someone.  Our daughter colored on our cream colored microfiber couch with black Sharpie.  It was all over, and really bad.

High SPF sunscreen in an aerosol can.  Spray on a small area, rub with wet cloth.  Move on to the next area.

Next, ultra hot water and some Dawn dish detergent to de-grease the areas that had been suncreened.  Couch looked good as new.

Probably not recommended for all fabrics, but as a last-ditch effort on something on it's way out the door anyway...

Kim * Fashion consultant to the stars; I totally picked out Orion's Belt.
Message 25 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

TY!  Going to try it.  Also found one on FB that's just citrus peel (I'm using lemons) and white vinegar...put the peels in a mason jar and fill with vinegar, let sit for 2 weeks and strain.  Mine is soaking...supposed to be another great stain remover!

Message 26 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

Kim, I would have freaked. Michael got hold of my liquid foundation and splashed the whole bottle on our couch and carpet.  Took 2 bottles of resolve but we got it all up.

Message 27 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

Kim, I would have freaked. Michael got hold of my liquid foundation and splashed the whole bottle on our couch and carpet.  Took 2 bottles of resolve but we got it all up.

There are just no words to describe how we reacted.  DH and I were both home, and literally in the same room with Leah when it happened.  We must've dropped a Sharpie somewhere on the floor at one point, maybe it rolled under the couch.  We were not paying direct attention to her, as she was happily content with something "over there"...

Kim * Fashion consultant to the stars; I totally picked out Orion's Belt.
Message 28 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

Can someone provide the ingredients for the homemade detergent? I always forget the ingredients.

Message 29 of 135
latest reply

Simple stain removal

Can someone provide the ingredients for the homemade detergent? I always forget the ingredients.

Here's the one I think you are talking about. I'm sure there are variations however.

Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent:

1 Bar Shaved Soap (Fels Naptha or Ivory. Ivory is much easier to find, my detergent below though is yellow because I used Fels Naptha).

1 cup of Borax

1 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

Directions:

Stir the ingredients together (after shaving the soap) and use 2 TBS per load of laundry. This method should work well in HE front loader washers as well since it is a low-suds formula.

Message 30 of 135
latest reply