eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Drop shipping... Legit or Scam?

Has anyone out there found a drop shipping company that is legit? I found a site where for the first 6 months you pay $69 and for every 6 months after that its $20 is this legit or a waste of time? $69 dollars is alot to throw away. Just wondering am i taking a step in the wrong direction by considering drop shipping?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste

I don't know about any specific drop shipper. I don't use them. I hear a lot of negative stories about them, so I would be very leery of using one.

For an example of what can happen when you use a drop shipper take a look at this poor guy's feedback:

guy

This guy was doing great, then his drop shipper ran out of product and it destroyed his business.

This guy was helpless, there was nothing that he could do but sit and watch as his account went NARU'ed by eBay and all his good will went down the drain.

G
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
Oh my goodness that is terrible what happened to Guy i will not choose to go drop shipping. Thank you for the info.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
What type of products were they shipping? Do you know who the supplier was?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste

The guy who went NARU'ed was selling computer RAM.

He had no inventory himself, he was getting it from some supplier who was drop shipping it. I was one of the buyers. I do not remember who his supplier was.

In order to try to stay afloat and to ward off the avalanche of negative feedback, the seller forwarded all his correspondence from his supplier on to we buyers. The grammar was atrocious and the logic of his correspondence left even more to be desired.

Due to the ignorance or the incompetence or the cupidity of the supplier, a decent seller lost his hard earned market position.

G.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
Wholesaling is probably the best bet. This way you have the product first before you sell it. Most wholesalers and dropshippers charge around retail so it is hard to sell with them.

I did see some ads on Ebay that "supposively" sell wholesaler information that have playstation 2's for $25 and whole computer systems for $50. People are paying $50 for this kind of information. I can't believe it is reputable though.

My advice is to stick to wholesale.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
Perhaps the term "Drop Shipping" is confusing here. There are many legitimate suppliers that sell their product to their wholesale customers and will ship the product to the customer in quantity and will sometimes also "drop ship" individual orders to customers and usually charge some type of fee to do that. This allows you to buy from them at wholesale prices and markup (or sell on ebay) at a profit and have the product shipped directly to the purchaser. Companies that offer to sell at lower prices but you have to subscribe or pay monthly fees for the right to buy would be suspect in my opinion.

On the other side of the issue are fulfillment centers, such as mine, that do not sell product but simply receive, warehouse and ship items on an individual order basis at the request of the client. A small fee is charged per order for this type of service.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
I like to buy from individuals better than companies. They respond better and quicker to questions about the product. Sometimes companies don't even know about their products!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
It is common practice in business now days to not inventory product, the cost of shipping the product twice will be passed along in the supply chain.
Drop Shipping is a great concept, much of the problem revolves around manufacturers and distribution channels not being very business savvy and/or friendly.
In addition often those purchasing become shipping experts and try to haggle over the cost of shipping, personally in my business I did Prepay and Add a percentage like many companies do, I did however think it fair to include a buck or two for packaging materials but I know some people are doubling even tripling freight and selling the product at a perceived lower price.
It is a bummer being at the mercy of someone else handling your order processing and logistics but it's either that or take a chance and incur the overhead up front.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Drop shipping... Legit or Scam?

in reply to toddceleste
Hi there everyone!! I have currently been looking for a legitimate dropshipping company, but i have failed badly and have not been able to a single one.

Even when i did find a website of the so called dropshipping company their prices tend to be higher then the RRP. And then u get all these websites claiming to have addresses of dropshippers.

I am still looking for a dropshipping company so if any 1 knows a decent dropshipping company which doesn't charge Retail Prices and don't charge a membership fee please e-mail me. Prefferably a consumer electronics/ Minidiscs company which would be willing to ship to the UK.

Thanks

E:Mail:s.ali540@ntlworld.com
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
Another solution to dropshipping worries, is get a international trade broker. They will find you the product you want from anywhere in the world, get it to your own dropshipper (no supplier involved), and then the drop ship company works for you and will drop ship as you need it or sell your product for you. My husband is a international trade broker. If your interested check out http://www.tradelinkservices.com.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
Hey. Go to www.worldwidebrands.com maybe you have heard of it already but they are certified by ebay and you could find some good drop shippers there as well as wholesalers. I think is awesome. Just pay to get the Drop Ship Directory Source and you are set! I really trust them, unlike these other "drop shippers" in the internet that swear they are good when they are not. ;-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
If you are serious about dropshipping you should check and make sure ebay isnt flooded with the product you are trying to sell.

Also make sure they are reputable. Research!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
I found this info to be very helpful in finding a good drop shipper:

http://wholesale-auctions.org/viewtopic.php?p=969
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
I've found that trying to establish relations with legitimate wholesalers is a better way to go. The dropshipping segment has been deluted with fly by nighters and scam artists. You'd do better just trying to sale SMC products (sigh)

There are quite a few directories that are very good for making connections with wholesalers, manufacturers and yes...dropshippers too.

Take a look at

http://www.netshoppers.com/direct/search.php/Dropshippers-and-Wholesalers/
http://www.wholesaledir.com/

These are two popup free direct sources to wholesalers that are pretty good.

Hope it helps
SAH
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
You don't always have stick to wholesellers. I know someone who is an individual seller, and also has a store, and he sells game systems online. Mostly he sells them out for people who would use them for parts, and when he posts what he is selling he lets the buyer know in great detail what they are buying. If most of the systems are going to be mostly good for their lasers then he will let the buyer know. If you are looking for used PS2's that you can use for parts you can buy them online here through the seller u_matter. I promise he will not lie about his products. I on the other hand deal with computers, so if you ever need anything for your computer just let me know.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
I have found a drop shipping company that is working out extremely well for me so far.http://www.zippypress.com/ Check out all the sales I have made in just a few months:-D. They sell lower price customizable items witch I think is the only way to go when thinking about becoming a eBay reseller. Listing fees are waaaaay lower than wasting your money selling high priced electronics and still only making a tiny profit if any. But the #1 reason all these other drop shipping companies don't work is because no matter what they say about there "real wholesale prices" IT'S NOT!. There will always be plenty of eBay listing that sell that same product
for waaaay less!!. Thats the bottom line. Take it form me I have tried. Zippypress.com is the absolute best I have seen. Does not compare to all the other SCAMS. Its a neat concept, you have to add an image to there products and sell. That takes a little time but once you find a good image to add to a watch or whatever thats it!!. It sells and sells and they never run out of stock. Plus get this, they ship all there items FREE WORLDWIDE!. Anyways I think this company is amazing and I don't believe there is any others that can work. Let me know what you think. Later
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
anyone have any knowledge of salehoo?
________
ebaY tips
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
I know that SaleHoo charges $67 in order for you to become a member with them - then you have complete access their site, this payment is a one time fee.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toddceleste
Forgive me if I didn't read this ENTIRE board from the top but I'm simply looking for a way to make a few more dollars than selling my 'garage items' on E-bay.
I'm NOT looking to make 'a killing' short-term - $500/1k extra per month would be awesome. Does anyone have any ideas/sources/dropshipping company suggestions?

Thanks
Please use plain text.