cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best time of day / week to sell?

kemarch001
Enthusiast
Is there a particular time of day, or a best day of the week to sell items on ebay? If I'm on the west coast, what time should I post my auction to be assured that my auction will close at "the best time of day" to capture the east and west coast bidders while they are still awake?
Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Best time of day / week to sell?

aaana
Thrill-Seeker
after a year of selling, I am not concvinced that there is a best time, although I am sure others will disagree. Bidders can use the search functions, as well as browse and if you have items that are well described at a decent price - they will find your listings.
Message 2 of 52
latest reply

madorman
Enthusiast
I agree with aaana -
Almost anytime is good.
Although I try to keep in mind that many
B&I buyers will be looking during work hours
rather than weekends or late night.
However, if you're selling internationally
this may not matter as much.
Message 3 of 52
latest reply

1995-1998
Enthusiast
I found that around 10:00 pm (GA time)does pretty good . Most of my buyers are in CA or north of me . So they are behind my time frame.
Good luck!
:)
Bonnie
Message 4 of 52
latest reply

I like to end my auctions anytime on a Sunday evening because most people have Sunday off & have time to ebay shop then:) I have ended them on other days of the week & don't seem to get those last minute "snipers" that bid the price up during the last few minutes.
Message 5 of 52
latest reply

gaggyliz
Enthusiast
I don't think it makes any difference what day you list. I've tried them all. I usually try to end my auctions around 10:30 PM central time. I sell mostly clothing and a lot of moms are on the comp. late night cause that's the only free time they have. LOL...Seems to work for me.
Message 6 of 52
latest reply

antbiscuit
Enthusiast
I work a shift that does not get me to ebay until after midnight. I have been buying stuff to start my business and look at equipment until early in the morning. It is so nice that I can shop all night !!! LOL
Message 7 of 52
latest reply

It's all over the map. There might be 'best times' but that will absolutely depend on other factors. Don't try to sell footballs on Monday nights or Bibles on Sunday mornings everyone's watching the game or in church. Nientendos won't sell good during schools. See what I mean. I choose late evenings for my small lot electronic parts and work hours for large lots that a business may want. My overall approach is to put up several dozen different items at all hours, days and categories and strongly encourage customers to look at my other auctions hoping to get a lot of hits for items that would never be seen otherwise. I got to get you into my store.
I am News and I approved this message.
Message 8 of 52
latest reply

emxd
Enthusiast
Agree with Bonnie. Im on East Coast and have found that late night ending gives people on west coast time to eat dinner and get to the computer!
Message 9 of 52
latest reply

clockwise-sales
Enthusiast
Sunday evening at 9 to 10pm PST. I sold an item for 37 on sunday night and the same identical item didn't sell on wednesday night. I see it again and again.
Message 10 of 52
latest reply

I like to end mine between the hours of 8 pm and 10 pm CST due to my buyers. The left coast is not a concern due to shipping the large items (over 1500#) that I sell. Most of my items go to CST or EST. Smaller postage items are not as important to me, in as much as timing because the whole world can buy and I can ship.
Message 11 of 52
latest reply

I also try to think about what will be happening during the time the auction ends. For instance, at this time, hurricane Ivan is in the Atlantic Ocean and will strike the southeast US sometime a week from now. Then there's elections and special events. At least a few less people might be watching your auction during these times.
Message 12 of 52
latest reply

I believe there is a best time to sell. My item ended after labor and it seemed that I didn't get the price I wanted for my item. Yet another item sold for the week before for $275 while mine only ended for $205. It was a Radio Control car in which mine came with more extra stuff then the one that ended last week. Avoid selling items that end on or around a Holiday.
Message 13 of 52
latest reply

Spelling** I mean't Labor Day.
Message 14 of 52
latest reply

I wonder about the middle of the night for rare or high demand items. If I was selling a rare guitar, people who know what they want will find it regardless. Ending in the middle of the night I think is an incentive for people to put in a fair best bid and go to bed. I know of auctions that get absolutely NO bids until the last 20 seconds (sniping) Putting it up in the middle of the night, only for very certain types of auction items, I 'think' is more likely to get numerous fair bids. I know I usually wait until the end of an auction to get involved. This cuts down on that.
Message 15 of 52
latest reply