eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Re: The Girolamini Library Thefts: a message from ILAB President Arnoud Gerits

in reply to chagrinbooks

chagrinbooks wrote:

I'm flabbergasted/amused by how heavy handed the entire affair was -with all the ridiculously obvious affectations, alterations and gorilla-grade mishandling of the loot, not to mention the obvious, slobbering addiction to greed.

All very true as regards the thefts. However, the Sidereus Nuncius forgery is a sophisticated piece of work, even if (in hindsight) some of its flaws now seem obvious. It's disconcerting that a work can be pronounced genuine by acknowledged experts after a detailed and exhaustive investigation, only for their findings to collapse within the space of a few months.

Please use plain text.
chagrinbooks
Community Member

in reply to argon38

I'm flabbergasted/amused by how heavy handed the entire affair was -with all the ridiculously obvious affectations, alterations and gorilla-grade mishandling of the loot, not to mention the obvious, slobbering addiction to greed.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to argon38

argon38 wrote:
Volume III of GalilIeo’s Galileo's O tells a fascinating story 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to lyceumdreamsbooks

In March 2012, the authors who collaborated in the production of the two-volume Galileo’s O came together for a final symposium to celebrate its publication in Berlin at the Max-Planck-Institute for the History of Science. The symposium took place in a mood of certainty that a book had seldom before been examined in such a broad and deeply interdisciplinary manner as Galileo’s Sidereus Nuncius (1610), the subject of the two-volumes of GalilIeo’s O. The participants gave lectures about the consequences of what had been achieved as well as about their new horizons of research.

Within just a few months of this celebration, it emerged that one of the core elements of the project, the Sidereus Nuntius Martayan and Lan copy, was a forgery. Volume III of GalilIeo’s O tells a fascinating story of scholarly readjustment in the face of mounting evidence that an unscrupulous intellect was at work.

De Gruyter, the publisher, has made the full text of Volume III freely available online.

http://www.degruyter.com/viewbooktoc/product/416084

Please use plain text.
lyceumdreamsbooks
Community Member

in reply to picture*books
Book Theft in Italy, With a Hint of Politics MILAN — "For years, the books kept coming. A precious edition by Thomas More. Leather-bound volumes from the Italian Renaissance. Some stolen from the Baroque-era Girolamini Library in Naples, given as gifts to an influential longtime consigliere to former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. Now that consigliere, Marcello Dell’Utri, a former senator, has been caught up in one of the biggest book-theft scandals in history. In a rare interview here, Mr. Dell’Utri said that he had returned all but one of the books once he learned they were stolen. He also distanced himself from the central figure in the case, Marino Massimo De Caro, the former director of the library, now on trial in Naples on charges of masterminding the large-scale theft of volumes. Yet Mr. Dell’Utri acknowledged that he had received books from Mr. De Caro for years and had helped make his career. When the arrests came, “for me it was a great surprise,” Mr. Dell’Utri said as he sat in a Prussian blue suit recently in the Via Senato Library, a private foundation he runs in Milan. “I repeat, until that point, I had told him, ‘My compliments, because you’re doing meritorious work for culture and for the country.’ ” But the appointment of Mr. De Caro, a bibliophile with no college degree, to lead one of the country’s most important libraries would probably not have been possible without Mr. Dell’Utri’s support, and the relationship of the two men shows how closely politics and culture are intertwined in Italy. “There are people like De Caro who steal,” said Fabrizio Govi, president of the Italian Antiquarian Booksellers’ Association. “There always have been in the world, there always will be. The question is how he got there.” Mr. Govi added, “How is it possible that a person of that kind manages to get into the graces of a ministry, to get a public position without a college degree?” Mr. De Caro was sentenced to seven years’ house arrest for embezzlement at a different trial in March. He now stands trial with a dozen others on charges of criminal conspiracy. He was arrested in the spring of 2012, a year into his tenure as director of the Girolamini, after thousands of books were found in a storage unit in Verona traced to his associates, and still others were tracked to book dealers in Italy and elsewhere. During the first trial, Mr. De Caro said he had intended to sell the volumes to raise money to maintain the library, a state institution run by a religious order. Mr. Dell’Utri is under investigation in the Girolamini case, as well as in a separate case involving kickbacks in energy contracts in which Mr. De Caro also figures. But Mr. Dell’Utri has not been charged with a crime in those probes. There is still a lilt of his native Palermo in Mr. Dell’Utri’s accent after even after he has spent decades in Milan in a career that has included directing the advertising company in Mr. Berlusconi’s media empire and founding the Forza Italia party in 1994 with Mr. Berlusconi and others. After more than 15 years as a lawmaker, Mr. Dell’Utri lost his senate seat this spring after an appeals court found him guilty of Mafia association. Italy’s highest court is soon expected to issue a final ruling in the case. But while Mr. Dell’Utri, 72, is best known to Italians as a power broker who helped Mr. Berlusconi secure electoral victory in Sicily, he is also a bibliophile who founded an annual antique book fair in Milan and whose foundation has published scholarly editions of classics, including a 1993 edition of Machiavelli’s “The Prince,” with annotations by Napoleon and an introduction by Mr. Berlusconi." more at: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/23/books/book-theft-in-italy-with-a-hint-of-politics.html?src=recg
Please use plain text.
picture*books
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

Recently from the New York Times:

Rare Books Vanish, With a Librarian in the Plot

Unraveling Huge Thefts From Girolamini Library in Naples

"NAPLES — It was one of the most dramatic thefts ever to hit the rare-book world, the disappearance of thousands of volumes — including centuries-old editions of Aristotle, Descartes, Galileo and Machiavelli — from the Baroque-era Girolamini Library in Naples. Now, prosecutors at a trial here are trying to show how such a wholesale violation of Western cultural patrimony could have taken place."

See link above for the rest of the story.

Please use plain text.
fine.books
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

an inanimate body part.

We usually call those "prostheses."

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

Thank you for the input in regard to my comment.  I am now re-evaluating my useful vocabulary. 

In high school, being on the very naive side, I heard the girls using a word not familiar to me that refers to an inanimate body part.  "What a d...," the girls would say.  Off I went to work one day at the restaurant and when something happened, wanting to be "cool" and "in," I used the sentence in the same manner as I had heard at school.  My boss, a young married man, looked at me and asked me if I knew what it meant.  So I went home and looked it up in our HUGE Random House everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know dictionary.

After which, I re-evaluated my useful vocabulary.  It must have been related to those mass-market paperbacks they were passing around but never was 'in' enough to join in the chain of recipients.

If half the USA population performed one act of kindness daily that would be over 150,000,000 kindly acts every 24 hours, just over a billion each week.
Please use plain text.
fine.books
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

We already have an English word for that - "furniture."  "Schmuck," in German, essentially means "bling."  The brasswork (furniture) in early books might well be called "bookbling" - "buchschmuck" in German, ja?

Please use plain text.
kentworld
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

buchschmuck -- I like it; sounds bad, but isn't!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to fine.books
:smileyhappy:

i have a better idea - 'buchschmuck' !

It is area-specific and completely unoffensive. ;-)

Please use plain text.
kentworld
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmuck_%28pejorative%29

OK, I guess I can still call some guys Dick.  ]:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
kentworld
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

OMG -- I'll never say "schmuck" again!  :-p

Please use plain text.
sigmapsidelta
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

Isn't it a reference to the ex-bit of a male body part left over from a minor bit of 'cosmetic' surgery?

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

Whatever the definition of SCHMUCK is, this guy is one of the club.

(a gentle aside on the above comment)

although a common english usage, and I commonly use it myself, the word that you capitalized refers to a male body part in Yiddish.  I once manage to have an Amazon feedback thrown out based on its profanity for the same word.

Just so you do understand the definition.

------f-j------
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

Whatever the definition of SCHMUCK is, this guy is one of the club.

If half the USA population performed one act of kindness daily that would be over 150,000,000 kindly acts every 24 hours, just over a billion each week.
Please use plain text.
jmgrobe
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

Another article about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/world/europe/naples-librarys-plunder-highlights-entrenched-dealings.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2

--
Jonathan Grobe
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to fine.books
Another delightful character. You can't make this stuff up-- no one would believe it.
Please use plain text.
greekdrama
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

Whomever allowed him access and position should be put out as well.

It was his good pal, Silvio Berlusconi, the head of the country.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
tapestries
Community Member

in reply to fine.books

Whomever allowed him access and position should be put out as well.

Please use plain text.