cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

550. I think you really should get credit for two right answers to this question. I found Lusitanian Sketches listed ahead of The Prime Minister in a chronology, but I wasn't sure if I could trust the list completely.

551. The first published book illustration by an artist who is today better known than Kingston appeared in one of Kingston's non-fiction books.

Who was the artist, and what was the book?
Message 5566 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

While people are pondering #551, here is another ponderable to occupy your gray matter .... or rather your memory of the not-so-distant gray past:

#552: This publication vied briefly through ads in nationally syndicated magazines with Reader's Digest as an anthologizer of pre-digested and abridged books. One of its by-lines: "It's easy to BE WELL READ with ______" Another phrase it used: "Unique abridgements".

What was this publication?
Message 5567 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

551. Besides book illustration, the artist is quite well known for greeting cards, trade cards, and ephemera.
Message 5568 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

🙂 #552 This publication ran for 19 years, which , considering the endurance of Reader's Digest, is a brief enough time.
Message 5569 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

# 551:

Kingston's Infant Amusements: or How to Make a Nursery Hapy. With Practical Hints to Parents and Nurses on the Moral and Physical Training of Children. London: Griffin & Farran 1867.

Has a frontispiece by Kate Greenaway.
Message 5570 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

551. Three in a row for the professor.
Message 5571 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

I'll be quiet now.
Message 5572 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Sob !!!

We will be unhappy and deprived.

Besides, you have an active question going.
Message 5573 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Doesn't seem to be much activity around it ... 😞
Message 5574 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

I'm thinking, Professor.

Just can't spend hours of time researching right now, as much as I love it. Be patient, and continue to ask questions.

You all have no idea how much many of us learned from this thread even if we are chicken-liver to post and throw out a guess.
Message 5575 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

I'm not positive 543 exactly had an answer either.
Message 5576 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

#543 the field is so wide and we never got a sufficiently definitive reply by the op d'question as to what they meant by modern art.
Message 5577 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

A hat-trick - well done, Professor.

I agree with almost everything which Blue* said, in #5576. I'm not too chicken-livered to appear an eejit. I'm sure that some of my attempts have raised a chuckle, even though you're all too polite to comment. 😉

Q.543 Knowing nothing about art, I don't know what to look for.

Q.552 I'm just off to do a bit of googlin' - pre-prandial beverage to hand.
Shameless promotion
"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....
"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 5578 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

ok-mrs-bee ~ It is good to see you.
I stop by every couple of days to catch-up on this thread. It is such a pleasure to read.

btw the 2nd son is immersed in Economic classes this semester and is a 'fellow' at the economy center. Said he is using the maths! He is considering applying to Berkeley an/dor UofChicago.
Message 5579 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Hi, Lludwig, it's always good to see you, too. 🙂 This is my favourite long-running thread on any chat board.

It's always wonderful when people realise how useful their maths education is - (for those who hated maths lessons, they trained you to think! 😉 ) - good luck to the young lad.

I've got nowhere with the Professor's Q.552. 😞
Shameless promotion
"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....
"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 5580 of 7,715
latest reply