cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Don't "modern" books start in 1700?
Message 5476 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

satnrose
Guide
As far as fine.books is concerned,

Message 5477 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

While you're pondering 543 and 544...

545: In which of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books does the phrase "elementary, my dear Watson" first appear?

544. What was the first book in the Spanish language printed in what is now the United States?

543. What is the first modern art book?
Message 5478 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

543. I think fine.books has regressed. I'm almost positive that he was using a later date at one point.

544. You're looking for a very well-known American theologian who published a book in the Spanish language in what is now the United States in the 17th century. The next Spanish language book was 70 years later.

545. Isn't that one of those "well-known" quotes that never actually occured?
Message 5479 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

545. Isn't that one of those "well-known" quotes that never actually occured?

It occurred. Somewhere. At some point. 😉
Message 5480 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

544. Cotton Mather wrote a book on Protestant doctrine in Spanish, published in Boston in 1699.
Message 5481 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

545. In Conan Doyle's short story, "The Crooked Man," Holmes replies to Watson, "Elementary," in response to Watson's, "Excellent!"

This exchange was in reference to Holmes' insight when, upon examination of Watson's boots, Holmes noticed that Watson must have used a hansom rather than walked, and successfully deduced that Watson was busy that day.

However, the full phrase, "Elementary, my dear Watson" is credited to stage actor William Gillette when he rewrote Conan Doyle's script and coined the phrase: "Oh, this is elementary, my dear fellow." Gillette's innovation was further refined by later film actors as: "Elementary, my dear Watson."
Message 5482 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

544.Congrtulations to imagine.ink:

Main Author: Mather, Cotton, 1663-1728.
Title: La fe del Christiano : : en veyntequatro articulos de la institucion de Christo. Embiada a Los Españoles, paraque abran sus ojos, y paraque se conviertan de las tinieblas a la luz, y de la potestad de Satanas a Dios: paraque reciban por la fe que es en Jesu Christo, remission peccados, y suerte entre los sanctificados. / Por C. Mathero, Siervo del señor Jesu Christo. ; [Two lines from Timothy in Spanish]
Imprint: Boston, : [Printed by B. Green and J. Allen], 1699.
Description: 16 p. ; 16 cm. (8vo)
Notes: Ascribed to the press of Bartholomew Green and John Allen by Holmes.

545. The first printed version of the phrase is attributed to Psmith in a 1915 Wodehouse novel.
Message 5483 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

imagine.ink: That's what I was shooting for, sort of. It was a trick question, as oldbookshopnj inferred.

And, as oldbookshopnj notes, "The first printed version of the phrase is attributed to Psmith in a 1915 Wodehouse novel."

Gillette is often given the credit, but apparently the phrase as specifically worded, "elementary, my dear Watson," never actually shows up on any of his printed works.

And it makes sense that Wodehouse would paraphrase. 🙂

I've been in CT for over 22 years now, but last weekend was the first time we visited Gillette castle. My husband grew up in CT, and he'd never been there, either.

It's not really a castle, in fact, the inside looks like a cross between a hunting lodge and a ship.

My husband was fascinated with the way the doors locked, and the intricate wood carving on the doors.

Gillette Castle

More Gillette Castle

William Gillette
Message 5484 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

546. Many of the illustrations for what would have been the first book with work by this illustrator were burnt in the 1916 Easter uprisings in Ireland, and the book was never published.

Who was he?
Message 5485 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

546: Harry Clarke
Message 5486 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

546. Congratulations to selected-with-care.
Message 5487 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Inquiring minds want to know ... what is the answer to #543?
Message 5488 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

#543 While Vasari is considered a starting point for modern art ( Le Vite più eccellenti pittori ... 1550) ...Certainly one of the earliest books on art (and I leave it up to the hair-splitters to determine modernity) was Erhard Schoen's Unnderweissung der Proportzion ... published in 1538 in Nuremberg by Christoph Zell

Andrea Vesalius's book Suorum de humani fabrica librorum epitome, while being issued with physicians and the art of surgery in mind, was of inestimable value to artists who could afford a copy.

Jobst Amman wrote his Kunstbüchlin sometime in the sixteenth century.

In 1528 Hans Sebald Beham, a follower of Dürer wrote his instruction book onhow to draw horses: Dises buchlein zeyget an und lernst ein mass oder proporcion der Ross, nutzlich iungen gesellen, Malern und goltschmide. However, he was accused of plagiarizing a work by Dürer on the proportions of the howse, which, although then unpublished, certainly predated Beham's work.

In 1509 a work was published in German of a work by Jean Pelerin, aka Viator : De artificiali perspectiva ... Von der Kunnst Perspectiva . Published in Nuremberg by Georg Glockendon.

So the question remains: what did the originator of Question No. 543 mean by "Modern Art"?
Message 5489 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Proofed:

In 1528 Hans Sebald Beham, a follower of Dürer wrote his instruction book onhow to draw horses: Dises buchlein zeyget an und lernst ein mass oder proporcion der Ross, nutzlich iungen gesellen, Malern und goltschmide. However, he was accused of plagiarizing a work by Dürer on the proportions of the horse, which, although then unpublished, certainly predated Beham's work.
Message 5490 of 7,715
latest reply