cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

Re: BOOK QUIZ

And what was wrong with the 1982 Reader's Digest Bible?
Message 7696 of 7,715
latest reply

Rockmaple - That is the Book!

Bugler1998 - That version removed about one-quarter of the text from the New Testament and more than half of the text from the Old Testament.

Message 7697 of 7,715
latest reply

840. What children's classic was banned for several years (until a revised edition was published) due to a chatty parrot's remarks that were determined to be racist?

Message 7698 of 7,715
latest reply

840. Polynesia who taught Doctor Doolittle to speak with the animals.

Some revisions explained here: blog.plover.com/book/Dolittle.html

Interesting background on Hugh Lofting: puddleby.tripod.com/author.html

Pertinent quote: "I make no claim to be an authority on writing or illustrating for children. . . . There has always been a tendency to classify children almost as a distinct species. For years it was a constant source of shock to me to find my writings amongst 'Juveniles.' It does not bother me any more now, but I still feel there should be a category of 'Seniles' to offset the epithet."
Message 7699 of 7,715
latest reply

Booquemeister - You have the correct parrot and book! Thanks for the additional info.

841. What author claimed (perhaps with tongue-in-cheek) that his two most famous books were written "for adults exclusively"and that he was "distressed"when children were given access to them?

Message 7700 of 7,715
latest reply

841.  Mark Twain - Twain wrote the above in a reply to a 1905 letter from a professor at Brooklyn College, whose library had removed Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer from the children's shelves.

Message 7701 of 7,715
latest reply

Mmadigan - You found the right guy!  It is so Twain imo.

Message 7702 of 7,715
latest reply

842. A collective noun attributed to a beloved author's chapter title pun
Message 7703 of 7,715
latest reply

Hint: gives a hoot

Message 7704 of 7,715
latest reply

843. I keep hoping lludwig hasn't left the building, but here's a visual quiz in her stead. What's wrong with this dust jacket?

Found on a 1st edition. The answer is in the image (nothing to do with the photo credit or anything else not visible.)

fwtbt.JPG

Message 7705 of 7,715
latest reply

843. The positioning of the $2.75 is wrong - it's too far to the left.

Message 7706 of 7,715
latest reply

Gold star for Argon.

Not only is the price slightly to the left, but it's the wrong font. Someone's attempt to deceive by doctoring a price-clipped DJ and producing an (undisclosed) facsimile.

Jacket was sealed in a Brodart cover with those annoying adhesive tabs and married to a 1st edition. First clue, apart from the visual, was that the book it was added to showed signs of years spent sans DJ.

hemprice2.JPG

Message 7707 of 7,715
latest reply

Good work, unmasking that sly piece of deception. (I couldn't figure out at first what was supposed to be wrong.with it.)

844. Which collectable book - published in 1965 - had a first-issue binding that is notoriously susceptible to oxidation?

Message 7708 of 7,715
latest reply

Emmbook - Thanks for thinking about me and posting a question. Also thanks to others for posting questions. I have to update my files with ones that have been posted. I did leave the building for a nice long break. Early one morning I pulled up the board and read the titles of new threads and grew weary and shut down the board without reading anything. Several months later I checked back but could only get to threads that I had either started. A sidebar did show new topics but could not get the whole board to show. A couple of months later I checked in again and lo and behold, it was back to where I could view all the threads on one page - a change for the better! So now I am back (after a three week cross-country road trip).

844. The Man with the Golden Gun

I have more guesses if this isn't the one!

Message 7709 of 7,715
latest reply

Spot on. lludwig - The Man with the Golden Gun was the one had in mind (what were your other guesses?)

I know just what you mean about the weary feeling! Glad to see you back. And over to you for Q. 845.

Message 7710 of 7,715
latest reply