cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

Re: SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

@imagine.ink wrote:

I don't know the answer to that question, but I love the imagery of monks and books.  Monks are often depicted visually in antiquarian bookmarks.

Here are a couple of "uncowled" monks:

Untitled-Scanned-30.jpg

Oops, I meant to write antiquarian "bookplate."  

Not enough coffee this morning!  

Message 7621 of 7,715
latest reply

I decided to find an image of the cowled monk logo that Boni & Liveright used.

Learned something new linguistically, as well  ... the monks in my old bookplate are apparently not "uncowled," as I thought..

It appears that a cowled monk is merely wearing a cowled garment, not that the cowl is actually covering the monk's head. 

Smiley Happy

Message 7622 of 7,715
latest reply

imagine.ink/Michelle re: "wearing a cowled garment"  In today's vernacular, it is called a hoodie. Smiley LOL

No doubt you know the haircut of the monk is called a tonsure. Some orders of monks left a narrow crown of hair around their heads to signify the crown of thorns placed on Christ's head during his crucifixion. Three main variations of the tonsure developed among various orders. You can identify which order the monk is a member of from the tonsure.

http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/13804/what-is-the-story-behind-a-monk-s-tonsure

My mother's maiden name and all of the variations of the name (with and without the prefixs) comes from the medieval Gaelic word meaning ‘the tonsured one’ which was usually a term used to describe a holy monk. When I was a young lass, I thought all those monks had male pattern baldness! However, given that my grandfather and his 7 sons had full heads of very thick hair I thought that some dominate hair gene made its way into the family! My hairdresser says that I have 3 or 4 times the amount of hair that the average person does. Man, is it hot in the summer! Oh, and while my uncles may carry the name, not one became a monk or priest.

I looked up the name of the school on your bookplate. Interesting history of a very old school. They kept a quill as their logo - no monks in sight!

Message 7623 of 7,715
latest reply

822. Anton Chekhov's play Three Sisters is said to have been inspired by which real life siblings?

Message 7624 of 7,715
latest reply

Anne, Emily, and Charlotte Brontë
Message 7625 of 7,715
latest reply

823. What Pooh philosopher after writing in defense of a maligned prodigy blasted the publishing industry wicked reprobates and retired?
(hint-fairies)
Message 7626 of 7,715
latest reply

booquemeister  -  822. Those are the three sisters!

Message 7627 of 7,715
latest reply

823. Benjamin Hoff
Message 7628 of 7,715
latest reply

Correct , ahem, pauperback-2
Message 7629 of 7,715
latest reply

824. After 5 years of continual rejection, what author finally landed a publishing deal? Book sales of this writer are now in excess of $2 billion. Only William Shakespeare has sold more.

Message 7630 of 7,715
latest reply

824.  Must be something in the water over there - Agatha Christie.

825. This author received 200 rejections before Bantam took a chance  and is now their best ever selling author with 330 million sales

Message 7631 of 7,715
latest reply

mmadigan - She is the one.

825. Louis L’Amour

Message 7632 of 7,715
latest reply

825. lludwig - You are a quick draw and sho(u)t the right one.

Message 7633 of 7,715
latest reply

I see theres still a few familiar names still posting here,  after my many years of absence from this forum. Looks like theres a fair bit of catching up to do.

Message 7634 of 7,715
latest reply

Welcome back postie.
Message 7635 of 7,715
latest reply