cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

Re: BOOK QUIZ

mmadigan - That is the book. Thank you so much for the link to that article. Very interesting all around - how few copies sold when first published, the families feelings about it as well as the update of the families now.

I know that authors don't receive many free copies of their books from publishers but not to have sent a copy to each family after living with them and eating their food...really what would it have cost them to send a copy to each of the 3 families as well as a small check for room and board. I can only shake my head that they sat at those kitchen tables and ate their food but it didn't cross their minds that they should have contributed food or money at the time or later.

The title of the book is from a passage in the Wisdom of Sirach (44:1) that begins, "Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us". The Wisdom of Sirach is also known as the Book of Ecclesiasticus. It is not to be confused with Ecclesiastes.

"Sirach is accepted as part of the Christian biblical canons by Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and most of Oriental Orthodox. The Anglican Church does not accept Sirach as protocanonical, and say it should be read only "for example of life and instruction of manners; but yet doth not apply them to establish any doctrine."[5] Similarly, the Lutheran Churches include it in their lectionaries, and as a book proper for reading, devotion, and prayer. . .The Roman Catholic Church declared it to be canonical in 1546 during the fourth session of the Council of Trent.[6]"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirach

Message 7591 of 7,715
latest reply

815. The division of Penguin that deals with science fiction and fantasy books started in 2002 with what fantastical avian name? 

Message 7592 of 7,715
latest reply

I have yet to come across one of the books, but didn't they use 'Roc'? That's the huge eagle-like bird capable of carrying off anything from a lamb to an elephant.

The thought is that eagles were seen carrying lambs and pigs, but from a distance a lamb could have been mistaken as a deer, or a pig as an elephant.

Another possibility is that Europeans, on seeing a flightless ostrich, took it as the young of a much larger creature - the roc being an obvious candidate.

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 7593 of 7,715
latest reply

815. Hint: Think Stravinsky

Message 7594 of 7,715
latest reply

They'd have done better to stick with 'Roc' as Pontiac already used 'Firebird'. 

If the answer is 'Firebird' I can only claim trans-atlantic ignorance. They're still just Penguins over here.

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 7595 of 7,715
latest reply

sigmapsidelta - You may be trans-atlantic, but you still answered the question correctly. The hint refers to the ballet, of course. Good point re: Pontiac already used 'Firebird'!

Message 7596 of 7,715
latest reply

816. In the US and Canada, what appropriately titled book of Dr. Seuss is a popular gift for students graduating from high school and college?

Message 7597 of 7,715
latest reply

816.  Oh, The Places You'll Go!

Message 7598 of 7,715
latest reply

mmadigan - Go to the head of the class!

Oh, the Places You'll Go! was first published by Random House on January 22, 1990, making it Dr. Seuss' last book published before his death. It is perhaps best known for the refrain, "Will you succeed? Yes, you will indeed. (98 3/4% guaranteed.)"

Message 7599 of 7,715
latest reply

817. According to the adventure novel, Saknussemm's Corridor in an extinct volcano in Iceland is the place to start if you seek to go where?

Message 7600 of 7,715
latest reply

817. According to Jules Verne, if you seek to go to the Center of the Earth, Saknussemm's Corridor is the place to start.

Message 7601 of 7,715
latest reply

Rockmaple - Center of the earth it is!

In Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne. After their adventures, the travelers emerge out in southern Italy at the Stromboli volcano.

Message 7602 of 7,715
latest reply

818. Whose interview in "Life" magazine is said to have led to an upsurge in the sales of James Bond books? After a private screening of Dr. No, he also reportedly said "I wish I had had James Bond on my staff."

Message 7603 of 7,715
latest reply

Since Bond was known to be dangerous, ruthless, sexist and a drinker was it Trump?

Message 7604 of 7,715
latest reply

818.  After consideration I believe the traits would also fit JFK.  My answer is JFK, the Commander in Chief and President from 1961-1963.

Message 7605 of 7,715
latest reply