cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

Re: SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Hi, Ludwig.  I didn't realise this thread had been revived - I've been away for a while.

Google makes answering the question rather easy ...

The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi

Shameless promotion
"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....
"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 7396 of 7,715
latest reply

ok-mrs-bee - It is good to see you again! I had wondered where you were and I hope that all is ok. 

Congrats! You are correct!

Yeah, googling does make it easy, esp. siince I didn't change the format of the question! 

Message 7397 of 7,715
latest reply

787. Who is the author who has written a book in every dewey decimal category except for one and what was that category? 

Message 7398 of 7,715
latest reply

Hint for # 787. The author was considered one of the "Big Three" science fiction writers during the author's lifetime.

Message 7399 of 7,715
latest reply

787.  My gut says, Isaac Asimov a biochemist.

Message 7400 of 7,715
latest reply

787 b. ( You may deduct points for my reading comprehension)

And now for the rest of the answer. -  The 100's - Phliosophy

"Here are the ten major categories of the Dewey Decimal System:

• 000 - Generalities
  • 100 - Philosophy
  • 200 - Religion
  • 300 - Social Sciences
  • 400 - Languages
  • 500 - Pure Sciences
  • 600 - Applied Sciences & Technology
  • 700 - Arts
  • 800 - Literature
  • 900 - History & Geography

Technically, his works have been published in all ten major categories of the Dewey Decimal System. However, it is not true that he has written a book in each of them, since his only work in the 100s — which covers philosophy and psychology — was a foreword for The Humanist Way."  -- 

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-Isaac-Asimov-is-the-only-author-to-have-written-a-book-in-ever...

I did have to look this up due to not remembering the DD (sorry fig).  As a chemistry major I was drawn to Asimov so somewhere on the third floor I have a box of many of his science works.  I may need to go and explore and see if I can find them.

Message 7401 of 7,715
latest reply

mmadigan wrote: I did have to look this up due to not remembering the DD (sorry fig).

Thanks for thinking of me. Smiley Happy

Actually, I have worked in libraries that used Dewey Decimal, or LC Classification, or a combination. And the Newberry Library had at least four systems for their general collection, and even more for special collections, archives, etc. It's hard to keep them all straight -- so your not remembering is not unusual! The library where I currently work (and have for a long time) mostly uses LC, except in one collection where they use a modified DD -- and the university archives, which uses an archival numbering system.

Fig

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 7402 of 7,715
latest reply

@mmadigan wrote:

.  As a chemistry major I was drawn to Asimov so somewhere on the third floor I have a box of many of his science works.  I may need to go and explore and see if I can find them. 

They sell pretty well, actually: they are excellent JRHS/Middle School/HS level books that homeschoolers snap up on a regular basis, no matter the condition. I can't keep them in stock, as outdated as they are.

He writes clearly, concisely and has the ability to relate complex subjects in an easily accessible manner.

Message 7403 of 7,715
latest reply

mmadigan -  Congrats! Your 'gut' was correct! And you got it right on all points.  No need to deduct points since you gained points on giving more than needed. 

Message 7404 of 7,715
latest reply

788. Who was called a second Gutenberg and why?

Message 7405 of 7,715
latest reply

When I was in high school they called me Gutengerg,, because I ran a 1880s hand feed letter press for my dad.   They had a similar press at the Greenfield Vilage museum print shop in Detroit.

But we had the older model.

Maybe there was somebody called Gutenberg II before me?

Message 7406 of 7,715
latest reply

bugler1998 - Funny story. I remember visiting Greenfield Village as a child. I thought it was so cool.

# 788. Hint: He invented the linotype machine.

Message 7407 of 7,715
latest reply

Since it appears that no one is interested in answering the most recent quiz question even with the hint which would leads right to the answer, here is the answer so that we can move along. Anyone who wants to post a quiz question is more than welcome to do so.

788. Who was called a second Gutenberg and why?

Ottmar Mergenthaler (May 11, 1854 – October 28, 1899) was a German-born inventor who has been called a second Gutenberg because of his invention of the linotype machine, the first device that could easily and quickly set complete lines of type for use in printing presses. This machine revolutionized the art of printing.

Message 7408 of 7,715
latest reply

Hi, Ludwig,

I did Google the answer and, as you said, it was very easy - too easy to post.  I only visit once in a blue moon so I have missed some Qs & As, but it is lovely to see that you are keeping this thread alive.

Shameless promotion

Message 7409 of 7,715
latest reply

Hopefully this one will need some Googling unless you're an ex-pat from the UK.

Q... Who is the author and what are the 3 trilogies (9 books)?  They each are known as "The ...?... Trilogy".

... The first ? is an area of South East London

... The second ? is a clotted creamy area of South West England

... The third ? completes the name of a town in Devon. Bud Lee knows it!

I possibly won't be back for a while so I hope I haven't stalled the thread.

Shameless promotion

Message 7410 of 7,715
latest reply