cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

Re: SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

mmadigan - Congratulations! You are correct.

Gwendolyn Brooks was the first African American to win a Pulitzer Prize in any category. She won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1950 for Annie Allen, which was her second volume of verse and was published in 1949. It focused on the life and experiences of a young Black girl (the term she preferred to African-American) as she grew into womanhood in the Bronzeville neighborhood of Chicago.

Excerpt from Wiki: "The work consists of three parts about an African American girl, Annie, growing into womanhood. The first part titled "Notes from the Childhood and Girlhood" includes eleven poems giving glimpses into Annie's birth, her mother, and her reaction to racism, killing, and death. "The Anniad", a mock heroic poem divided into forty-three stanzas and three "Appendix" poems, tells of Annie's dreams of a lover who goes to war, returns to her, marries her, leaves her, and comes back home to die. The last section, "The Womanhood", shows Annie's outlook on a world she would like to change. The book of poetry shows how Annie has changed from an egotistic romantic to a realistic idealist."

Photo of First Edition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Allen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwendolyn_Brooks

Message 7366 of 7,715
latest reply

780.  What author in his/her youth was a taste-tester for Cadbury's chocolate?

Message 7367 of 7,715
latest reply

Either the answer to question 780 is so obvious that no one wanted to answer it or a hint is needed. I'll start with a hint just in case that is what is needed; in fact, I will make it a double-hint.

Hint to 780: The job may have been the inspiration of one of the author's children's books.

Message 7368 of 7,715
latest reply

rockmaple - Congrats! You are correct. Thanks for the link. It provided more info than what I had. 

Message 7370 of 7,715
latest reply

You're welcome lludwig--keep those quiz questions coming--this is fun!

Message 7371 of 7,715
latest reply

Rockmaple:
Thanks for the link to the story of samples coming from the Cadbury chocolate factory. Cool story.
Message 7372 of 7,715
latest reply

You're welcome Bugler--That's the job I want! Unfortunately, Hershey has banned the sale of British made Cadbury chocolate in the U.S.  Smiley Sad

Message 7373 of 7,715
latest reply

Rockmaple - Nice to hear that you are enjoying the quiz. If you ever visit this part of Pennsylvania, I'll take you to Hershey! Smiley Happy My younger son was home last week for an extended family camping reunion and brought his girlfriend. As part of his visit, he took her to Hershey. 

781. What was the first published prose written by an African American and who was the author?

Message 7374 of 7,715
latest reply

781.  Britton Hammon: 1760, A Narrative of the Uncommon Sufferings and Surprising Deliverence of Britton Hammon, A Negro Manservant to General Winslow, of Marshfield in New England, Who Returned to Boston,  after having been Absent  Almost Thirteen Years.

Message 7375 of 7,715
latest reply

jeanpaulbooks - Congratulations! You are correct.

Briton Hammon wrote: "A Narrative of the Uncommon Sufferings, and Surprizing Deliverance of Briton Hammon, a Negro Man,--Servant to General Winslow, of Marshfield, in New-England; Who Returned to Boston, After Having Been Absent Almost Thirteen Years."

Containing an Account of the Many Hardships He Underwent from the Time He Left His Master's House, in the Year 1747, to the Time of His Return to Boston.--How He Was Cast Away in the Capes of Florida;---The Horrid Cruelty and Inhuman Barbarity of the Indians in Murdering the Whole Ship's Crew;---The Manner of His Being Carry'd by Them Into Captivity. Also, an Account of His Being Confined Four Years and Seven Months in a Close Dungeon,---and the Remarkable Manner in Which He Met with His Good Old Master in London; Who Returned to New-England, a Passenger in the Same Ship:

Printed in 1760 by Green & Russell, Boston (14 pages)

Link to author:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briton_Hammon

Link to the narrative:

http://docsouth.unc.edu/neh/hammon/hammon.html

Message 7376 of 7,715
latest reply

@lludwig wrote:

Rockmaple - Nice to hear that you are enjoying the quiz. If you ever visit this part of Pennsylvania, I'll take you to Hershey! Smiley Happy My younger son was home last week for an extended family camping reunion and brought his girlfriend. As part of his visit, he took her to Hershey. 

Thanks Lludwig-- Someday I may just take you up on this! I visited Hershey many many years ago and we went on a tour (behind glass) of the chocolate factory where you could see the entire process of how Kisses were made. I was very impressed by the mixing room where there was a huge vat of chococlate being mixed. The smell was almost overpowering and it was all kind of gross. We went back years later and the tour was no longer available to the public. (We thought maybe they were concerned about manufacturing secrets being copied?) That was way before the theme park was built so it's been a while.

Message 7377 of 7,715
latest reply

Rockmaple: somewhere in California we ran into a Hershey factory store. It was in a small rural town, which i thought was odd, but it had no factory, just a wider variety of hersheys chocolate than you usualky find.
As i recall we went there the same day we went on the Jelly Belly factory tour, that was in or near Sacramento. That was a good factory tour, the hilite being the factory store that sold "belly flops" which were rejects because of color defects. They came in a big bag of assorted flavors, fun to try to guess the flavor. Priced right too.
Message 7378 of 7,715
latest reply

Bugler- Good Deal! Jelly Belly jelly beans are the best jelly beans! Cute that they call the rejects "belly flops."

I just did a search: Belly Flops are now sold on ebay!

Message 7379 of 7,715
latest reply

Bugler & Rockmaple - Thanks for the heads-up on the "jelly belly flops". I may have to purchase some on ebay.

Rockmaple - The real factory tour at Hershey closed in 1973, the same year that Hershey's Chocolate World opened with a fake tour. The free fake tour is on a continuous chain of amusement cars, in the style of a classic World's Fair or Disney ride (think "It's a Small World"). My son first took his girl friend on the tour and then to the amusement park. They happened to be there after the rates dropped so it was a good deal. When my sons were little I would take them their on rainy days (off-season of course!). At the time, parking was free also, but I think they charge for parking now. After the ride we would get ice cream and treats. What I liked the most was that there were live cocoa trees growing in the atrium. The students at the Milton Hershey School are growing the next generation of cocoa trees for the atrium. Oh and for two Christmases, my in-laws gave us family season passes to the amusement park. I said no more after that!

Speaking of tours, after our family reunion camping trip we stopped in Altoona where Mallo Cups are made and they have a discount store. My youngest son really likes Mallo Cups but they are not sold in California and are more of a regional thing. I am not even sure if I can get them here along with some of the other Boyer produts. Hershey has a lock around here! lol They don't have a tour but instead a TV where you can watch there products be made. I really like their Smoothie Cups (smooth peanut butter covered with butterscotch) and DH favors the triple twist pretzels (butter pretzel covered in creamy peanut butter and coated with milk chocolate). We reminded our son that he can now order his Mallo cups on line directly from the factory.

And now back to our regular programming . . .

782. The Curse of Capistrano, a 1919 story by Johnston McCulley, is the first work to feature which fictional character?

Message 7380 of 7,715
latest reply