cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

Re: SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

@lludwig wrote:
I remember the days on the original book board when you could not post  "The pen is mighter than the sword" because it didn't 'read' a space in between pen and is.

That actually happened with a newspaper headline in Wisconsin when Gov. Thompson was aggressively wielding his veto power. The front-page headline was supposed to be:

Thompson's Pen is a Sword

Except that a space was left out, and you can guess which one.

Message 7321 of 7,715
latest reply

The urinal is in the Key West house side yard now, and we were there a few years back to watch the six-toed cats drinking from a continuous flow of water through it. Several other things struck me. The swimming pool with no plumbing. Water was hauled from the ocean so it could be used. Also, the elaborate chandeliers in an otherwise plain-Jane house, both these and the pool per Pauline, who had elevated lifestyle needs that Hemingway indulged. And the birthing stools Hemingway used for fishing. Neat place to go.

Message 7322 of 7,715
latest reply

Bookthink - Wicked stories about Hemingway's Key West house. 

769. Who was the author and what was the name of novel which is the earliest recorded use of 'wicked' to mean 'cool, good'? Name two other words in the novel which were the first known uses. 

Message 7323 of 7,715
latest reply

769. I am so pepped out (1) looking for the answer I may have to fix myself a wicked (2) daiquiri (3) to share with my sardine (4) for a little pick me up.

1) F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise.-  exhausted.

2) F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise. excellent

3) F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise. a cocktail 

4) F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise. a young woman

Message 7324 of 7,715
latest reply

mmadigan - Clever way to answer and congratulations! You are correct about the author and his novel as well as 2 out of 3 of the words that I have, but you more than made up for the missing one with even more first recorded use of words with alternative meanings from the novel!

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the earliest recorded use of 'wicked' to mean 'cool, good' is from F. Scott Fitzgerald's first novel, This Side of Paradise. However, there could be an earlier instance of the word which is yet to be discovered. 'Daiquiri' was the another one that I had and so did you. The novel also has the first known use of the word 'T-shirt.'

Message 7325 of 7,715
latest reply

My answer is a two-parter since  forgot to add my source.  Of course the source could be stinko since it came from a web source and I did no verification.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/05/08/why-f-scott-fitzgerald-is-all-over-the-dictionary/

Message 7326 of 7,715
latest reply

mmadigan - haha! Thanks for the link to the article on Fitzgerald. I had no idea. Very interesting.

770. Who was the first African-American to write a poem that was later published and what was the name of the poem?

Message 7327 of 7,715
latest reply

I'm pretty sure I've never posed a question here, but when I was shopping for inventory on eBay this morning, I came across yet another instance of a buyer getting soaked, though this time it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Anyway, the question is, What's wrong with this auction?

Message 7328 of 7,715
latest reply

@lludwig wrote:

770. Who was the first African-American to write a poem that was later published and what was the name of the poem?

770: Not Phillis Wheatley. (The correct answer shares a name with a character in a Poe story.)

[771] : 1950s facsimile reprint of the first issue.

Message 7329 of 7,715
latest reply

771. Sorry. Forgot to number it.

Close. 1938 facsimile. "Priinted in U.S.A." at bottom right of back panel. Later facsimiles - there were a few - lacked a printer's statement. 

I love the seller's terms, BTW. Gives one a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Message 7330 of 7,715
latest reply

@bookthink wrote:

771. Sorry. Forgot to number it.

Close. 1938 facsimile. "Priinted in U.S.A." at bottom right of back panel. Later facsimiles - there were a few - lacked a printer's statement. 

Pics were bad, possibly on purpose, so it was hard to see. I thought it was one of the 1950s facsimiles with "Printed in India" on the back.

Message 7331 of 7,715
latest reply

Is there a way to tell later facsimiles from the first edition?

Thanks for posting this and for your article on Time Magazine: http://www.bookthink.com/0170/170tm1.htm
Message 7332 of 7,715
latest reply

The post-1938 facsimiles I've seen lack printer's statements on the bottom back panels - that is, those published by Time Life. The later facsimiles, as well, do not have appropriately age-toned paper. I've not seen the "Printed in India" examples emmbook mentioned. I assume these are piracies, emm?

To be more specific about the early printers, The Williams Printing Company printed Time from 1923 until 1928, and issues carried the "The Williams Printing Company, New York" statement on the bottom center of the back panel. R. R. Donnelley took over in 1928, and their familiar "Printed in U.S.A." statement appeared on the 1938 facsimile - bottom right of the back panel, which you can just make out on the photo in the referenced auction.

BTW, I nearly always contact the seller when I come across these facsimiles / misrepresentations because I've seen them go for $1,000+ - a big hit for a buyer who doesn't know better. In this case I got push-back from the seller, who said the magazine had been acquired from a trusted source and an appraiser had said there was a controversy about the issue point of the first issue. The seller had therefore priced it "conservatively." BS, it seemed to me, since no mention of this appeared in the description.

Message 7333 of 7,715
latest reply

bookthink - Thanks for the contribution of question 741. Very interesting.

Emmbook - You are correct that it is not Phillis Wheatley. Re: "The correct answer shares a name with a character in a Poe story." Are you referring to the married name and the Prince (Prospero) in the “The Masque of the Red Death”? I wasn't sure if you were giving a hint or the answer!

740. Answer: Lucy Terry (married name Prince) and the poem was “Bars Fight”

"The author of the first known work of African American literature (the poem “Bars Fight”) was Lucy Terry [born about 1730] who was kidnapped in Africa as an infant and sold into slavery in Rhode Island. At the age of five, she became the property of Captain Ebenezer Wells of Deerfield, Massachusetts. Around the age of sixteen Lucy Terry responded to a 1746 Indian ambush of two white families in a section of town known as “the Bars” by composing the ballad poem “Bars Fight,” which earned her local acclaim. People in the area recited the poem through the years until it was finally published in 1855 in Josiah Gilbert Holland's History of Western Massachusetts.

She remained enslaved until 1756, when Obijah Prince, a prosperous free black man, purchased her freedom and married her. They were married by a justice of the peace Ephraim Williams, he was later the founder of Williams College. In 1760 the Princes moved to Guilford, Vermont, where Lucy Terry Prince gained local renown as a storyteller and orator while educating her six [or seven?] children. She delivered a three-hour address to the board of trustees of Williams College in order to gain admittance for her son Festus. While she was not successful, her speech was remembered for its eloquence and skill. Her son, Cesar, fought in the Revolutionary War.

A courageous, eloquent activist, Prince worked hard not only to survive economically but also to protect her family from racist harassment and vandalism. A persuasive orator, Prince successfully negotiated a land case before the Supreme Court of Vermont in the 1790s. She argued against two of the leading lawyers in the state (one of whom later became the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Vermont), and won her case against the false land claims of Colonel Eli Bronson [who was trying to steal her land]. Samuel Chase, the presiding justice of the Court, said that her argument was better than he had heard from any Vermont lawyer.

Lemuel Haynes preached an antislavery sermon at her funeral in which he predicted that despots and racists, “tyrants and oppressors,” would “sink beneath” Terry’s “feet,” a witty reference to her poetry."

Source: Info copied and combined from several sites.

Message 7334 of 7,715
latest reply

@lludwig wrote:

bookthink - Thanks for the contribution of question 741. Very interesting.

Emmbook - You are correct that it is not Phillis Wheatley. Re: "The correct answer shares a name with a character in a Poe story." Are you referring to the married name and the Prince (Prospero) in the “The Masque of the Red Death”? I wasn't sure if you were giving a hint or the answer!

740. Answer: Lucy Terry (married name Prince) and the poem was “Bars Fight”

Ha, I thought I was giving a hint, but the answer I had in mind was wrong.

The question was clever -- the first African-American to write a poem that was later published. I was thinking instead of the first African American to publish a poem in what is now the U.S. That would be Jupiter Hammon (1711 - ca. 1806), a slave from NY state who published a broadside poem in 1761.

"Jupiter" was the freed slave in The Gold Bug by Poe, although a good guess on Prince Prospero! On a somewhat related note, Poe's Jupiter had a speaking role in the story, something that was unusual at the time for black characters in American literature.

Message 7335 of 7,715
latest reply