cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

Re: SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

There is a west coast paperback publisher that did not issue very many titles, but everything they did is a premium paperback collectible, and one of their books is a fantasy / science fiction title.  Somewhat confusingly, the main word in the  publisher's name is the same as the main word in the name of a major east coast publisher. This is a pre-WWII publisher.

Message 7306 of 7,715
latest reply

The book is also the most expensive 20th century U.S. science fiction / fantasy title.

Message 7307 of 7,715
latest reply

oldbookshopnj - Uncle! I give up! I've have looked and looked several times and came up empty handed. 

Message 7308 of 7,715
latest reply

It appears that oldbookshopnj is very busy that she has not posted the answer or given another hint to question #764, at least that is what I hope is the reason why . . . While we wait for her re-appearance, an easy question to keep things moving along.

#765 Which poet wrote the first long-running Broadway play by an African-American and what was the name of the drama?

Message 7309 of 7,715
latest reply

Langston Huges wrote Mullato which opened in 1935 and ran for 375 shows.

Message 7310 of 7,715
latest reply

mmadigan - Congratulations! You are correct on all accounts. 

Message 7311 of 7,715
latest reply

766.  What was the title of the first novel by an African-American to become a Book-of-the Month Club selection and who was the author?

Message 7312 of 7,715
latest reply

766. Native Son written by Richard Wright in 1940.

Message 7313 of 7,715
latest reply

mmadigan - Congratulations once again!

Native Son was the first novel by an African-American to enter the mainstream of American literature. Wright's memoir of his southern childhood, Black Boy, (1945) became an even bigger success.

Message 7314 of 7,715
latest reply

767. Who was the famous science fiction author who was a descendant of one of the Salem witches?

Message 7315 of 7,715
latest reply

767.  It is claimed the Ray Bradbury is descenced from Mary Perkins Bradbury.  She was tried, convicted and sentenced to hang as a witch in Salem MA in 1692, however, the sentence was never carried out.

Message 7316 of 7,715
latest reply

mmadigan - Congratulations! Once again you are correct. According to my source, Mary Perkins Bradbury managed to escape before her execution could take place.

768. What did Ernest Hemingway take home from his favorite bar and what was his rationale for taking it?

Message 7317 of 7,715
latest reply

768. He took the marble urinal. His rationale was that he had used it so much that he figured he had paid for it.
Message 7318 of 7,715
latest reply

The original article that I read had the "cleaned up" version probably of this:
Hemingway argued that he had “**bleep** away” so much of his money into the urinal that he owned it.

(Ebay edited my post.)
Message 7319 of 7,715
latest reply

rockmaple - Congratulations! You are correct!

It is interesting how ebay now 'bleeps" out words now. I remember the days on the original book board when you could not post  "The pen is mighter than the sword" because it didn't 'read' a space in between pen and is. Another one was you could not post, "Who reads..." because it took the first word and two letters of the second. which resulted in my bad habit of using "that" in place of "who". But the best was that those west coasters at ebay thought that Negro was the N word and you could not post "The Negro Speaks of Rivers" by Langston Hughes 
Message 7320 of 7,715
latest reply