cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

Re: SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

In this quiz, we have usualy used "book" as 4+ pages, so the almanac fits nicely.  It is actually much earlier than the book I had in mind-- The House Servant's Directory  by  Robert Roberts, published in 1827.

Message 7261 of 7,715
latest reply

757.   Who was the first African American woman to publish science fiction?

Message 7262 of 7,715
latest reply

757. Hint: The author was inspired to write science fiction by a movie called "Devil Girls from Mars."

Message 7263 of 7,715
latest reply

The answer to: 

757.  The first African American woman to publish science fiction was Octavia Butler (1947-2006).

"A multiple-recipient of both the Hugo and Nebula awards, Butler was one of the best-known women in the field. In 1995, she became the first science fiction writer to receive the MacArthur Fellowship, nicknamed the Genius Grant." (Wikipedia)

New York Times Obituary:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/01/books/01butler.html

Message 7264 of 7,715
latest reply

758. What was the first best-selling novel in America?

(Probably 100+ editions before 1860.)

Message 7265 of 7,715
latest reply

758. Just a guess. Dickens's "The Pickwick Papers"?

Message 7266 of 7,715
latest reply

...assuming, by the way, that you didn't mean an American novel.
Message 7267 of 7,715
latest reply

I did not mean American, but I really meant to say 100+ editions before 1850.

It was first pubished in the eighteenth century, and no one has heard of it today.

Message 7268 of 7,715
latest reply

Susanna Rowson's Charlotte Temple?
Message 7269 of 7,715
latest reply

Congratulations to jeanpaulbooks.

Susanna Rowson was a remarkable woman--she founded one of the first female academies in the United States, wrote plays and textbooks, and acted on the stage, supporting herself and a number of relatives.  William Cobbett called her "an American Sappho," and she responded by calling him "a loathsome reptile."

Charlotte Temple is the story of a a young women who was seduced, impregnated, and a by a British officer.  Critics have frequently sneered at it as a book for "housemaids and shopgirls," ignoring the fact that the housemaids and shopgirls were not the ones who made enough money to buy the  book.  Feminists have a difficult time with her too because she did not overtly espouse women's causes--she simply was a successful businesswoman, author, and editor, working in fields that were heavily male dominated.

Message 7270 of 7,715
latest reply

759.  This is a question with many answers. 

I know borzois have been discussed here, but what other publishers use or have used animals as symbols of their publishing houses?

Name the publisher and the animal, but don't  feed the squirrel.

Message 7271 of 7,715
latest reply

Here's one: Penguin Books

I found this article that describes many publishing houses and their animal logos:
http://publishingtrendsetter.com/industryinsight/publishers-menagerie-stories-publishers-animal-logo...
Message 7272 of 7,715
latest reply

The article picks up a lot of logos including some  I had not thought of, but I still have a few in mind that are not on that list.

Message 7273 of 7,715
latest reply

Bantam's rooster.

Message 7274 of 7,715
latest reply

Aldus Manutius. William Pickering. Thomas Bird Mosher. Doubleday.

Dolphins, all.

Message 7275 of 7,715
latest reply