cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

Re: SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

1968 for me, purple printed Xerox copy made to take home before next practice.

Message 7231 of 7,715
latest reply

jeanpaulbooks:  Very close and in the right state, but it needs to be pushed back a bit earlier.

Message 7232 of 7,715
latest reply

The first time I ever had to play basketball was in an elementary school gym class where I had just transferred from another system.  At that point my ignorance was so abysmal that I did not know that you could not run with the ball.  I did pick up on the rules and was a certified official when I left high school.

Message 7233 of 7,715
latest reply

too funny, character building for book selling.

Message 7234 of 7,715
latest reply

751.   In 1891,  Dr. James Naismith wrote the 13 Rules of Basket Ball which were first published in January of 1892 in the Springfield College newspaper in Massachusetts.

Naismith's rules document, preserved and passed down by his family, was sold at auction in 2010 for $4.3 million.

Message 7235 of 7,715
latest reply

SIDEBAR to 751: The first game of collegiate basketball ever played by women took place at Smith College only a year after Dr. James Naismith invented the game. Senda Berenson, a physical education teacher at the college, adapted the rules for a women's game. Men were not allowed to watch because the women were wearing bloomers. 

Message 7236 of 7,715
latest reply

You're right--my answer was the first description of the first publicly played basketball game.
Message 7237 of 7,715
latest reply

752.  What is the most valuable printed work of fiction published in a language other than English?

Message 7238 of 7,715
latest reply

752. Don Quixote ($1.5 in 1989)

Message 7239 of 7,715
latest reply

752. Congratulations to lludwig. Don Quixote is the one I had in mind.

It was published in two separate parts several years apart, and the the second volume is harder to find in the first edition than the first volume.

Here is an article on some early editions:

http://www.antiquestradegazette.com/news/2005/jan/11/el-ingenioso-don-quixote/

Message 7240 of 7,715
latest reply

753. What is the most valuable modern fiction manuscript and who was the author? 

Message 7241 of 7,715
latest reply

@lludwig wrote:

753. What is the most valuable modern fiction manuscript and who was the author? 

Kerouac's typescript roll of On the Road?

Message 7242 of 7,715
latest reply

emmbook - Good try but nope.

It is a handwritten manuscript and it was illustrated by the author.

Message 7243 of 7,715
latest reply

I would guess it is a children's book that the author originaly wrote and illustrated for his own children.

Alice in Wonderland or Winnie the Pooh.

Message 7244 of 7,715
latest reply

trophyhusbandus - You are correct that it is a children's book.  It was not written for the author's children.

It was mentioned in the last book of a series written by the author. Handwritten copies were given by the author to adults and one special copy was sent to auction with the proceeds going to a children's charity.

Message 7245 of 7,715
latest reply