cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On author's deaths and the effect on their book prices ...

I know this is a rather morbid topic, but I don't think any booksellers can deny that there seems to be an association between the death of an author and the subsequent demand for their books. 

I think it might be helpful if we, as booksellers, inform each other of the deaths of any authors that may have flown under the radar.

You would think, given the rampant and ubiquitous social media transmitting all sorts of information, that any author's death, no matter how obscure, would not be overlooked, but I was recently shocked to discover that Theodore Hesburgh, longtime president of Notre Dame University and author of several books, passed away on February 26 at the the age of 97.  

Knowing his advanced age, I had been holding onto a book signed by him.  Yet, although I consider myself a fairly avid news consumer, I didn't learn of his passing until less than a week ago and that was only when I happened to flip through a month-old Catholic newspaper and saw a story about it.

I promptly listed the book, albeit about a month later than the ideal time, and fortunately got a bid on it.

However, I think it might be helpful to use this thread to inform each other of the passing of any authors.  Not everyone garners the level of attention of Tom Clancy.    

Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

Re: On author's deaths and the effect on their book prices ...

Thank you! That is very helpful.

Fig

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 16 of 101
latest reply

Ruth Rendell, creator of the Chief Inspector Wexford series, died May 2nd. She also wrote under the pseudonym Barbara Vine.
Message 17 of 101
latest reply

I mentioned in a different thread that children's book illustrator Marcia Brown passed away last month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/07/books/marcia-brown-picture-book-illustrator-dies-at-96.html?_r=0

----------
Message 18 of 101
latest reply

Not an author, but the subject of a biography by Sylvia Nasar and of a movie starring Russell Crowe:

"Beautiful Mind Mathematician John Nash killed in a car crash on Saturday, May 23"

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/05/24/a-beautiful-mind-mathematician-john-nash-killed-in-car-crash/2...

Message 20 of 101
latest reply

As of right now, 11:37 p.m. EST, there were 51 sales today on eBay of books, DVDs, and autographs of John Nash using "Beautiful Mind" as the search phrase.

When I posted the news article this morning about his untimely passing, there was only 1 sale.

To put this phenomena in perspective, the only previous sale was as far back as May 21.  

Message 21 of 101
latest reply

Is there a way to do the search blocking results that contain the word "lace"?

Message 23 of 101
latest reply

@rockmaple wrote:

You can put a minus sign in front of any word you want to eliminate. Remember with completed listings it is only searching words in the title, though.

----------
Message 24 of 101
latest reply

@rockmaple wrote:

I know what you mean ... there are multiple listings for this, which show up with the search phrase "Beautiful Mind":

Beautiful new 5 yards of lace embroidery bilateral mind free to send Orange 201

But, if you notice, those sales ended on May 23, so it's relatively easy to see the recent "Beautiful Mind" sold listings corresponding to John Nash.

May 24: Total sales: 58 

May 23: Total sales: 0

May 22: Total sales: 0

May 21: Total sales:  4

May 20: Total sales: 3

Message 25 of 101
latest reply

FYI, eleven (11) of the 54 sold listings yesterday were for books.  

Message 26 of 101
latest reply

Not to be too morbid here -- just looking at numbers. A search on "octogenarian authors" brought this up:

http://bookriot.com/2013/03/15/8-writers-over-80/

It might be worth it to look for books by these authors if they are still around...
Message 27 of 101
latest reply

We missed the boat on Elmore Leonard and Doris Lessing as they have already died, but I think the other authors on the list are still with us.
Message 28 of 101
latest reply

@imagine.ink wrote:

As of right now, 11:37 p.m. EST, there were 51 sales today on eBay of books, DVDs, and autographs of John Nash using "Beautiful Mind" as the search phrase.

When I posted the news article this morning about his untimely passing, there was only 1 sale.

To put this phenomena in perspective, the only previous sale was as far back as May 21.  

Not surprisingly, but it was the same with signed B.B. King books and other material after he died. I listed, and sold, a couple of signed items within 36 hours of his death. (The number of sold, signed items has roughly tripled since the day he died.)

But some sellers appear to have overreached price-wise with the signed Easton Press edition of B.B. King's autobiography. More of them are unsold than sold at this point. The two sold copies were on best offers of $575 and $350. Another copy is going to sell today in auction format, with the bidding currently at $225.

Message 29 of 101
latest reply

In case my link disappears, the authors mentioned in the article that are still with us are Philip Roth, Alice Munro, Toni Morrison, Tom Wolfe, John Barth, James Salter, & Herman Wouk.

Message 30 of 101
latest reply