cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help in describing a book's defects

Hi y'all

I have been selling off most of my personal collection for the last 18 months or so. And still have some books that are very collectible that I have decided it is really time to unload. I bought most of them on eBay and plan to sell them the same way.  What would be the best way to describe the defects on the board that show up as lighter splotches or is "light splotches" good enought? The scan image is a  little dark, the spots are more contrasty than what shows here. Any help would be appreciated.

Space Cadet.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Your description plus inclusion of the image is how I would do it.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I would say something like, "Rear cover boards exhibit light spots of color loss." 

A small linguistic tweak, but that way you don't have to use the word "splotch,"  which reminds me of this children's book:

Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Those "splotches" appear to me to be moisture damage, which would be a very determining factor to any serious buyer.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

"Spots"

It isn't bleach: too dark.
It isn't water, because water would dry clear but might ripple the cardboard below.
"Moisture" implies rain or something like that, and it might be that. But who knows?

I would call out the spots and allow the buyer to figure it out.

Sometimes I can tell the difference between coffee and chocolate splashed on an edge, but not very often. I usually say "something splashed on the edge" and leave it at that.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Cannot tell for s-s-s-sure, but s-s-s-spots-s-s might be s-s-s-squirrel s-s-s-spit!
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Cold? Hungry?

I hear there's a nice ol' man up the stairs might gots some cashews for youse

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Should I say "squirrel spit" in my description or would it be more accurate to say "squirrel saliva."

Message 8 of 8
latest reply